PDA

View Full Version : Damn Japanophiles

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

spathophile
2/27/2007 1:06pm,
fuckin samurai wannabes ( I KNOW I should be the last one saying this,) I actually met not one, not two, not three, but 4, yes thats right 4 people who have an absolute hard on the the katana. These people were that type that a lot us sword enthusists were like at point or another, though most of us tend to grow out of it at say 13 or so.

But yeah back to the rant

These were 4 were type that believe the Katana to be the absolute epitome of swordsmithing and Kenjutsu to be the greatest sword method on the planet.

ya'know the type, Japanophiles.

the japanese can do no wrong and everything they make is inspired by God himself.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I know I practice Kenjutsu myself, so maybe I should be defending them.

but no these assholes, actually believed the bullshido that often spouted about the Katana, even showing me a vid on youtube of katana blade

cutting a bullet. which contrary to what they thought is nothing special,
a bullet made of lead, and a sword blade is made of steel

so gee I don't know I wonder which one is the harder substance, uh?, oh yeah steel!

so yeah how is a sword blade cutting a lead bullet anything special when take my hunting knife and with minimal pressure cut a bar of lead

Damn Japanophiles!

saipher
2/27/2007 1:10pm,
fuckin samurai wannabes ( I KNOW I should be the last one saying this,) I actually met not one, not two, not three, but 4, yes thats right 4 people who have an absolute hard on the the katana. These

Done? Cause I'm not sure I can take anymore. :)

Plasma
2/27/2007 1:23pm,
Read This: http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewarticle&id=147

Then fucking complain to me.

wakinonioi
2/27/2007 1:28pm,
fuckin samurai wannabes I actually met not one, not two, not three, but 4, yes thats right 4 people who have an absolute hard on the the katana.

That sounds like a lot of potential discomfort.

Neildo
2/27/2007 2:05pm,
Katana versus Machine Gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Zq4f82kjs

OnceLost
2/27/2007 2:14pm,
I don't think that was it, but I liked that one more than the one originally referenced...now imagine a samurai charging the machine gun bunker.

metarat
2/27/2007 3:13pm,
How a Japanophile nearly took my head, and saved me $20 . . . .

I was reminded of this reading your post Spath-- thanks!

Years ago I went to a knife/gun/othercrap show in Tucson. After scanning many tables of crap I saw one covered with B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L shiny toys. I walked over to get a closer look. At that moment a tall, skinny **** with a looong ponytail (YOU know the type!) who is looking at the prettys picks up and unsheaths a Wakazashi (not asking the owner's permission) and launches into his kata, whcih includes some very pretty over-the-head swishes, and nearly connects with yrs truly, who was about two feet back and slightly to shithead's left.

Funny thing-- his keen warrior senses did not detect me! Maybe if I had cut out his kidney? But I had a dame with me. The guy behind the table gave me a -holy ****! sorry!- look, and I went elsewhere for awhile.

I came back later, after the samurai wannabe was gone. The gentleman with all the knives was Barry Dawson, who is, in my opinion, the MO-FO God Emperor of American Knifemakers- http://www.dawsonknives.com/index.html
and what he was doing at some little **** show in Tucson, I still do not know!

Anyhow, we had a nice hobnob, and I got to handle his whole table of pretties, which were all pretty fucking orgasmic. I remember he had mostly tantos and bowies, and that I couldn't afford anything serious. But he was a real gent and let me play with them all and said yeah, 5-10% of the people coming up at shows were jerks and psychos.

He gave me and my girlfriend of the time a 'Military Reservist/nearly killed by wannabee' discount on a couple of his neck knives, which Cold Steel has in production as The Spike. Lost the girl, got the knife, it still rocks.

spathophile
2/27/2007 5:04pm,
Ya'know I really need to stop hanging around anime shops, these places seem to be the premier hangout for Japanophiles in my area. ( hit himself upside the head, duh, where the **** else would those kids go,) hmm, you know I think I'm actually starting understand why there are Buddhist temples around Des Moines, Iowa.

and sorry for this Bitching, I'll try to stop venting online since it seems to be something I do often.

spooky
2/28/2007 5:39am,
What Ryu do you study?

Plasma
2/28/2007 8:09am,
I know mostly basic Kenjutsu, no real style or specific school, just the eight basic stances and the eight basic cuts that seem to be common in most JSA..

This is from his intro post. He probably studied the basic 8 Iai Kata from the Japanese Kendo Organization. Therefore Basic Kenjutsu would be a a correct style field.

glad2bhere
2/28/2007 9:43am,
The strength of my objection has more to do with the cavalier manner in which Japanese traditions seem to be held up as the de-facto standard for all other arts. Grappling is often judged according to Judo, manipulation is gauged according to Aikido and concussive techniques are measured according to Kempo and Karate. I know that there is much published material about Japanese arts, but I wonder how many people ofther than myself get tired of always having Japanese concepts, Japanese terminology, Japanese culture and Japanese equiptment referenced to explain Korean, Chinese, Indonesian, Phillipino and Thai traditions? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

WorldWarCheese
2/28/2007 9:54am,
The strength of my objection has more to do with the cavalier manner in which Japanese traditions seem to be held up as the de-facto standard for all other arts. Grappling is often judged according to Judo, manipulation is gauged according to Aikido and concussive techniques are measured according to Kempo and Karate. I know that there is much published material about Japanese arts, but I wonder how many people ofther than myself get tired of always having Japanese concepts, Japanese terminology, Japanese culture and Japanese equiptment referenced to explain Korean, Chinese, Indonesian, Phillipino and Thai traditions? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Pfft, if any grappling art can compare itself to the one used by the Almighty Judo God Kimura they should count themselves lucky, IMO. :waoya

But whatever. And I think it's basically because of the popularity of Japanese arts after things like TMNT and The Karate Kid. It wasn't The Muay Thai Kid, after all...

Anyhoo, yeah, the thing is a lot of the Japanophiles take martial arts... most of them bad, BUT BUT BUT if it weren't for Japanophiles in Anime Sections of comic book stores listening to me about Kyokushin and Judo then going home and watching "This is Kyokushin by Daisukey" and that nutso Kyoto U Judo Team Promo vids on youtube I think my Dojo's would have a lot less highly dedicated and supremely insane students willing to hit themselves in the nuts with a baseball bat yelling OSU if you asked with a Japanese Accent. :eusa_whis

My advice: USE the 'tards, they can be useful for the struggling Dojo.

wakinonioi
2/28/2007 10:00am,
I wonder how many people ofther than myself get tired of always having Japanese concepts, Japanese terminology, Japanese culture and Japanese equiptment referenced to explain Korean, Chinese, Indonesian, Phillipino and Thai traditions? Thoughts?

I think that you are very fortunate to have so few problems that you can worry about stuff like that.

spathophile
2/28/2007 10:17am,
eight basic Iai kata?, I don't know about that, I know what I do is pretty much the most basic of the techniques found kenjutsu, but at the same time, I don't really study much Iaido. I mean hey maybe thats it, I only know the moves, not the names, so I guess that could be it.

well thanks for that man, I'll see what I can dig up on that

spooky
2/28/2007 10:41am,
You need a teacher. Sorry but IMO if your not studying under someone then you're not studying Kenjutsu you’re merely waving a stick around!

Basics differ from Ryu to Ryu, they may share similar stuff but they also have a differences. Jigen Ryu will differ to Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu which will be different to Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu etc...

Plasma
2/28/2007 10:59am,
You need a teacher. Sorry but IMO if your not studying under someone then you're not studying Kenjutsu you’re merely waving a stick around!

Basics differ from Ryu to Ryu, they may share similar stuff but they also have a differences. Jigen Ryu will differ to Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu which will be different to Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu etc...

Spooky is correct. If not the Iaido kata from Kendo Federation, where did you pick up there basics, from who?