PDA

View Full Version : Shotokan sweeps.

Pages : [1] 2 3

AAAhmed46
2/11/2007 9:37pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5faGD5b6Zw

Does anyone know who this guy is?

Looks like he's pretty damn good at those sweeps!

Anyone else got video of shotokan thats like this? Or seen really intense shotokan at compititions or something?

Kempo Chris
2/11/2007 9:48pm,
Just read the titke of the video ---SHOTOKAN Elwyn Hall Looks Back

It would seem they don't think keeping their hands up will help much in their fights.

Shuma-Gorath
2/11/2007 10:34pm,
Anyone else got video of shotokan thats like this? Or seen really intense shotokan at compititions or something?
Don Ritter has a hilight video. I see if I can get a copy of it.

FickleFingerOfFate
2/11/2007 10:37pm,
ATTENTION IN THE THREAD: KARATE SUX

Easy big boy,

Most MMA guys have some type of stand up game to go with their ground & pound

Not all Karate is created equal.

It' only a matter of time till the BJJ/MMA McDojos show up on the radar.

I'm not sayin' you're all wrong,

But the blanket may not cover as much as you think

Shuma-Gorath
2/11/2007 10:42pm,
Easy big boy,

Most MMA guys have some type of stand up game to go with their ground & pound

Not all Karate is created equal.

It' only a matter of time till the BJJ/MMA McDojos sh-
NO. STOP. I will not see another Karate thread suffer the Death of One Thousand Relativist Fallacies.

Axelton
2/11/2007 10:58pm,
ATTENTION IN THE THREAD: KARATE SUX

Some does. Doesnt change the fact that Elwyn Hall would crush you. Yes I'm serious.

Ke?poFist
2/11/2007 11:09pm,
I don't know. Alot of that was pretty embarassing (mostly the fact of the way he swept people...I thought Karate taught good balance....sheesh) Then again, some of those high kicks were pretty sweet, but the fact that when he started punching in the face it looked like his opponents never experienced someone using their hands before.

Shuma-Gorath
2/11/2007 11:20pm,
I don't know. Alot of that was pretty embarassing (mostly the fact of the way he swept people...I thought Karate taught good balance....sheesh)
Judo and wrestling teach good balance, and yet people still get thrown! HOW CAN THIS BE?

Ke?poFist
2/12/2007 12:30am,
Judo and wrestling teach good balance, and yet people still get thrown! HOW CAN THIS BE?

Physics?

FickleFingerOfFate
2/12/2007 7:49am,

Poor technique, which is what they are trained to exploit in the first place.

FickleFingerOfFate
2/12/2007 9:21am,
NO. STOP. I will not see another Karate thread suffer the Death of One Thousand Relativist Fallacies.

Perhaps you could explain your disagreement,

You state you took a "false karate" and now take Shotokan. How are they not different?

I stated MMA practitioners need some form of stand up to augment their ground game. You take Judo and, I would assume since you moderate the forum, JJ as well as Karate and Kick Boxing. How do these actions disagree with my hypothesis?

The concept of McDojos is not A unique concept to the Korean/Japanese stand up arts and to discount the fact that if there is money to be made people will take advantage of their fellow man and the prevailing trends to make it. Karate and TKD as well as many others have suffered as a result of their own popularity in the 70's and 80's. With the popularity of the UFC and BJJ/GJJ in general, any unscrupulous and intelligent buisnessman can see a dollar to be swindled. This is why I feel Bullshido is a good thing and became a "supporting member".

I would look forward to a well thought answer instead of the backstabbing I have recieved from you thus far. I came here to learn, not to be abused for my late arrival on Bullshido.

WorldWarCheese
2/12/2007 1:46pm,
It's those stances why they get tossed like a sack-of-potatoes in an Irish food festival. We had a former TKD guy some it with those bouncy horse stances and it was GO TIME for the sweeps and reaps. I mean, wow. (Granted he learned fast how to do it right)

But they're trained to stand like that. They like the low stances for power and they bounce because a still horse stance ain't the most mobile of ways to go about out there. Thus their legs are exposed and they're literally in the air 1/3rd of the time anyways. It's very easy to loose balance that way unless you weigh 2,000 lb's and/or are Kimura, because even if he DIDN'T stand that way, it's fucking Kimura, he could've and gotten away with it if he wanted to. (Stance info gotten from Karate Shihan were Worcester Judo Club rents mattspace)

But I thought the action was pretty well paced and the dude had some solid tech in his arsenal, his sweep especially, if he learned say osotogari and deashi harai he's be deadly on the Judo mat IMO (if he gained 2,000 lbs or learned a new stance) the fucker's a quick lil' devil.

While there's things (like stances) I really hate about Shotokan, their leg techs suit me just fine and dandy.

ojgsxr6
2/12/2007 2:05pm,

You have to wait to learn the Anti Gravity form.

sochin101
2/12/2007 6:18pm,
I don't know. Alot of that was pretty embarrassing (mostly the fact of the way he swept people...I thought Karate taught good balance....sheesh)
I think the fact he was pulling on the opponents' gis to off-balance them had an effect on their balance. It's the krotty equivalent of kuzushi, I suppose.
I think enshin has similar principals of off-balancing with sweeps and grabs. Oh, and knocking people on their asses...:toothy5:

but the fact that when he started punching in the face it looked like his opponents never experienced someone using their hands before.
Usually (back in the good ol' days) it was all about dance-in-and-out-then-reverse-punch-until-the-ref-shouts-yamae-or-the-other-guys-falls-down.
Punching someone in the face was a new-ish idea, I think.

You'll also notice that if you believe you have scored with a punch, you must immediately throw your arms down by your side and then wheel away kiai-ing triumphantly.

Not long after Elwyn Hall's heyday, times changed and freestyle karate meant colourful pyjamas and tippy-tappy kicks. Cocks.

WorldWarCheese
2/12/2007 8:28pm,
I think the fact he was pulling on the opponents' gis to off-balance them had an effect on their balance. It's the krotty equivalent of kuzushi, I suppose.
I think enshin has similar principals of off-balancing with sweeps and grabs. Oh, and knocking people on their asses...:toothy5:

Usually (back in the good ol' days) it was all about dance-in-and-out-then-reverse-punch-until-the-ref-shouts-yamae-or-the-other-guys-falls-down.
Punching someone in the face was a new-ish idea, I think.

You'll also notice that if you believe you have scored with a punch, you must immediately throw your arms down by your side and then wheel away kiai-ing triumphantly.

Not long after Elwyn Hall's heyday, times changed and freestyle karate meant colourful pyjamas and tippy-tappy kicks. Cocks.

Elwyn Hall = Shotokan Version of Kimura or something? (Or at least the closest someone CAN come to Kimura....)

sochin101
2/13/2007 4:30pm,
Elwyn Hall = Shotokan Version of Kimura or something? (Or at least the closest someone CAN come to Kimura....)
Not quite on that scale, but back in the day, he was a well respected competitor on the traditional tournament scene.