PDA

View Full Version : Sword relevance today

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Muqatil
2/05/2007 10:11am,
I figured I would start a conversation on sword training.

Why train in an outdated, archaic weapon in today's age?

What are the uses?

What is its relevance?

This all stems from the Mythbusters thread and the question of why would you do something that "appears" to be useless.

I will pipe in with my opinions after a few others share.

Plasma
2/05/2007 1:33pm,
When it comes down to it Sword training gets you a sense of distance and getting yourself used to having something swinging at your head.

OnceLost
2/05/2007 1:48pm,
I never had any formal training, but I enjoyed 'sword work' (no dirty jokes, please) for the same reason I enjoy my limited skill in acrobatics. It's fun. It serves no modern fighting or self defense purpose, but other things can be cool, too.

money
2/05/2007 2:00pm,
I figured I would start a conversation on sword training.

What are the uses?

What is its relevance?

This all stems from the Mythbusters thread and the question of why would you do something that "appears" to be useless.

I will pipe in with my opinions after a few others share.

Why train? Because I'm a big nerd and I enjoy it.

Uses? Well, it's nice exercise. It does improve your condition and coordination.

Relevance? Not any that I can see. Nobody walks around with a sword in this day and age.

OnceLost
2/05/2007 2:02pm,
At least, not without getting tasered.

Tonuzaba
2/05/2007 2:02pm,
Because deep inside we all know that the world as we know it is about to end, and the ones with a sword on their side will be the ones who'll have the advantage...

Or not.

Additional weapons training might do?

Fitz
2/05/2007 2:08pm,
It's more interesting then chess and has similar abilities to improve my sense of strategy.

Stolenbjorn
2/05/2007 2:09pm,
Why train in an outdated, archaic weapon in today's age?Because you can, and have an interrest in history. Back in the hard days, when you worked from 06.00 - 20.00 and got part of you pay in booze, you didn't have the time, the fatigue or the money to develop an interrest as time consuming and expensive as this. All "unnessecary" hobbies developed quite reacently, as a result of better time, and more money. Theese things first started in the upper classes, where they've existed far longer (tennis, olympic fencing, golf, hunting, etc)

What are the uses? Stay in shape, body-coordination, the pleassure of beeing able to pursue your hobby.

What is its relevance? It could be a way of preserving traditions, but why does things have to be relevant all the time?

I don't do japaneese TMA, but HEMA historical european ma's and that's a bit similar, just remove the ridgid authority-systems you often find in shinten-ryu-kenjutsu-ish stuff:seppuku:

new2bjj
2/05/2007 2:32pm,
I never had any formal training, but I enjoyed 'sword work' (no dirty jokes, please) for the same reason I enjoy my limited skill in acrobatics. It's fun. It serves no modern fighting or self defense purpose, but other things can be cool, too.

It's a hooby. I mean really, you aren't going to probably use much of your martial arts training in real life, period. Unless you're a pro or an instructor, you might as well have some fun, righ?

Neildo
2/05/2007 2:38pm,
Because a three foot long razor blade is cool.

Camus
2/05/2007 2:38pm,

an ailing and alienated self-concept

OnceLost
2/05/2007 2:49pm,
It's fun. What other excuse do you need?

rw4th
2/05/2007 4:12pm,
Because a little larping, when kept in the proper context, is fun.

Antifa
2/05/2007 5:14pm,
Sword training (western fencing + the typical drunken larptastic semi-sports in college.) has definately helped my stick fighting. Which I have used. in my experience on (oh god I'm about to say it) t3h str33t I've seen or used or had used on me : stick, knife, mace, taser, brass knuckles, fist packs, mag lite, and chains. No swords. Not really expecting to see one either.

If I ever do get in a situation where I need to use a sword and I have a sword I'm sure I'll be fine. That being said I wouldnt cross the street to learn any more sword work... I dont need it.

As I was telling Ninjew the other day. I'm 35 and I've never been in a sword fight. Likely, I never will. I'm okay with that. Everyone else should be too.

spooky
2/06/2007 5:23am,
When it comes down to it Sword training gets you a sense of distance and getting yourself used to having something swinging at your head.

Yep!

There's also the pressure aspect to it. Even when practicing Kata you can still be put under a lot of pressure. Timing, speed and distance can change and the intention is there so that it doesn't become a mere dance. Kata in my Kenjutsu class is certainly alive.

On the Iai side of things it takes concentration to pull it off so as a means of self discipline it's certainly effective. Then when doing that with Shinken it goes up to another level.

Because a three foot long razor blade is cool.

:icon_cool Yeah that too

Plasma
2/06/2007 7:44am,
Thread cleaned up to stay on topic.

Good post spooky, glad you found the forum. Bring anyone over from MAP you would like.

PS. This is xplasma, they changed my username for the sake of humor.