PDA

View Full Version : General Forum Comments and Questions

CanucKyokushin
1/31/2007 5:48pm,
1-Will lineage wars be tolerated?LOL!!!"Who has the real TKD/Ke?po/Kanpoo?"

2-Any topics taboo or everything goes?

3-I'm really not in the mood for "why we do Katas" every week.It's been done to death.

4-I think we should push to expose fake styles and charlatans Soke's.See question 2.

Plasma
1/31/2007 6:12pm,
I closed my FAQ sticky. Put questions and comments here, I'll update the FAQ as necessary.

sochin101
1/31/2007 6:58pm,
This is going to sound ultra stupid... but how did I get in here?
There doesn't appear to be link from the main forums page.
So how'd I get in?

Phrost
1/31/2007 6:59pm,
Well you've wandered into a construction zone. We're not going live with these just yet, but feel free to have a look around.

Phrost
1/31/2007 7:02pm,
You're supposed to be asking these questions in the project forum!

1-Will lineage wars be tolerated?LOL!!!"Who has the real TKD/Ke?po/Kanpoo?"

Yes, provided they're on-topic and productive.

2-Any topics taboo or everything goes?

Everything goes as long as nobody's being an ass about it and trying to derail the discussion.

3-I'm really not in the mood for "why we do Katas" every week.It's been done to death.

Hopefully, given that the primary participants in the discussion will be the people who participate themselves in said training, that won't be necessary. But a FAQ for those kinds of things should emerge to pre-emptively answer such.

4-I think we should push to expose fake styles and charlatans Soke's.See question 2.

Yep, that's what these forums are for. Think of them as meeting rooms for people of a specific style to discuss how to clean the rest of the house.

pauli
1/31/2007 7:03pm,
Well you've wandered into a construction zone. We're not going live with these just yet, but feel free to have a look around.so, uh, phrost... did you pick the colors here yourself?

sochin101
1/31/2007 7:03pm,
Well you've wandered into a construction zone. We're not going live with these just yet, but feel free to have a look around.
Cool. I thought I was going nuts.

CanucKyokushin
1/31/2007 7:08pm,
Phrost that thoese were questions for the original faq Plasma started.How it ended up as a thread here I don't know.

Phrost
1/31/2007 7:09pm,
so, uh, phrost... did you pick the colors here yourself?

They came to me in a dream.

Phrost
1/31/2007 7:10pm,
Phrost that thoese were questions for the original faq Plasma started.How it ended up as a thread here I don't know.
Miscommunication apparently. We'll sort it all out as long as we keep the level of participation up where it needs to be to sort things like that out.

Plasma
2/01/2007 9:36am,

I moved it to this thread because I wanted to clean up the FAQ thread. I figure any questions about the FAQ or additions can go here.

Sparkie
2/16/2007 1:16pm,
I like this I've ben away for a while with other matters.
I am looking for access to Okinawian Katas seems what I was practicing with an independant club on Vancouver Island wasn't exactly in sink with watch the Shotokan influanced clubs where doing. Not that I care what others where doing nor what we were doing but I 'm just to stuborn to change from that base.
Origins of the club are from Chile My sensie was a student of Arturo Petit Almonte

cooper_543
4/24/2007 2:16pm,
I'm currently taking combat hapkido. However, I'll be leaving the area in the next year and am considering taking up Judo in my new location. I've read alot of arguments that it is a very affective method of self defense, but I've also heard counter arguments saying that too many of the techniques rely on grabbing your opponent's Gi to be street effective. Just looking for some knowlegable feedback. Thanks alot

sochin101
4/24/2007 2:37pm,
I'm currently taking combat hapkido. However, I'll be leaving the area in the next year and am considering taking up Judo in my new location. I've read alot of arguments that it is a very affective method of self defense, but I've also heard counter arguments saying that too many of the techniques rely on grabbing your opponent's Gi to be street effective. Just looking for some knowlegable feedback. Thanks alot
Dude... a gi is quite like clothes. Lots of folk wear clothes. Lots of folk can be thrown into the hard, unforgiving concrete. Cue red stains.

FickleFingerOfFate
4/24/2007 2:50pm,

Unless you live in a tropical climate year round, I'm guessing you've heard of a thing called a jacket.

In the northern climes they are quite common.

Sweatshirts work well too.

lighter shirts work, but usually only once or twice.

So do it right the first time.

If you live in the tropics, then go join the BJJ Jihad (no Gi Sect)

Ivan86
5/10/2007 11:35pm,
I'm currently taking combat hapkido. However, I'll be leaving the area in the next year and am considering taking up Judo in my new location. I've read alot of arguments that it is a very affective method of self defense, but I've also heard counter arguments saying that too many of the techniques rely on grabbing your opponent's Gi to be street effective. Just looking for some knowlegable feedback. Thanks alotThere's ways to adapt and use techniques regardless of what your opponent is wearing. Also, like it's been mentioned, most clothes work just fine for techniques. They just tend to tear under too much force.