PDA

View Full Version : Glock26 or Walther P99C (or fullsize)

Pages : [1] 2

Gezere
12/26/2006 6:05pm,
After a long a comforting relationship I am finally saying goodbye to my Beretta 92 and look at either the Glock 26 or The Walther P99.

Glock 26
Specifications
Weight 560 g / 19.75 oz
Length 160 mm / 6.29 in
Barrel length 88 mm / 3.46 in
Width 30 mm / 1.18 in
Height 106 mm / 4.17 in
Caliber 9 mm Luger Parabellum
Action Safe action
Feed system 10 / 12 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 33 round magazine
Sights Fixed front and rear

Price generally around $450

Walther P99
Weight 700 g (unloaded)
Length 180 mm (7.1 in)
Barrel length 102 mm (4 in)
Cartridge

* 9 x 19 mm
* .40 S&W
* 9 x 21 mm IMI

Caliber 9 mm (.354 in)
Action Recoil operation
Feed system detachable magazine capacity;

* originally 16 rounds, now 15 (9 mm)
* 12 rounds (.40 S&W)

Sights Adjustable three-dot iron sights

Price around $500

Sam Browning
12/26/2006 7:00pm,
If you are trying to shoot accurately, the half an inch of extra barrel will make a real difference.

Don Gwinn
12/26/2006 7:15pm,
Have you shot at least 50 rounds through both? What did you think?

They're both good guns, but they're very different ergonomically. The bigger your hands, the more I'd *guess* you might lean toward the Glock. The Walther is more comfortable for me.

On the other hand, maybe someone will post horror stories about Walthers jamming. I don't think you'll hear that about Glocks, and in 9mm the KaBoom! stories should be moot, too.

MONGO
12/26/2006 9:07pm,
I used a glock 27 as a backup for years and I liked it but the smaller grip takes a lot of training to get comfortable shooting fast with. I would suggest you pick up a G19 instead, the slightly larger size is nice and it handles easier for fast shooting drills.

I have also shot the Springfield xd compact and I liked it very much. The trigger is better than the glock but it sits higher and you will feel more muzzle flip.

I have no experience with the Walther compact but I have shot one of the full sized model 99s. I did not like the erganomics and it doesn't function as well as the Glock (in my case).

I would actually recommend a Sig or a Browning/FN hipower if you would like a quality weapon that can shoot as well as you ever will. The Glocks are easy weapons to maintain (hell, even I am an armourer) but the trigger and some of the parts tend to wear out (all guns wear out) fast, primarily the trigger return spring.

And for the love of all that is Holy, change out the sights on a glock if you get one. The stock sights fucking suck balls. I really like Heine straight eights. Although, any good combat designed nightsight will do.

auschip
12/26/2006 9:08pm,
You might also consider the Springfield XD9. I own the Glock 27 (the .40 version of the 26), and was really impressed with the XD series. If you are 100% set on either of those two, I would go with the Glock. I don't like the way the Walther breaks down. It's counter intuitive.

ar549
12/26/2006 10:09pm,
My first thought is "Why are you not going for A 45?" Im suprised your not going for one of the Wilsons or even the new Sigs Government 45s. Your A big guy with good sized hand and from what you said so far your kind of A one handgun type of guy. In your paticuler case of size and skill using the all steel 45 to knock somebody back or use as A sap over the back of A mans head is A option you might want in reserve and one the glock nor the walther offer. I could write A book on why I would choose one of the dehorned 45s but in the end its your choice but I do encourage you to explore the option and go try some out at the range.

The G26 is A great gun and very popular amongst friends of mine but not as A primary handgun. Most of them own 4 or more guns and the G26 is used for certain things or special use and carry situations. The Walther I would not view as A option for many reasons, Its the equivelant of driving A Citroen in Alabama.

The dehorned Sigs in 226 and 229 in the SAS model are somthing you should check out. If you dont plan to carry your own weapon in Iraq or something and dont mind the added range expense you may consider stepping up to the 357Sig ammo. If you get free ammo at the range the nine would be the choice for sure. My wife shoots 9mm and this will be her first year to enter A couple of IPSC shoots in Thailand, She ways less than one hundred pounds. As for myself I shoot it all, My backup gun in Alaska was A custom 454.Casull.

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogCategory.aspx?categoryid=1

HackingYodel
12/27/2006 5:11am,
Sad to see the 92 go, great gun.

Things to consider:

The 99c and Glock 26 are 10+1 with the Glock 19 at 17+1 and the Walther 99 (fullsize) has 15+1. Sizes are close.

A lot of people find the Walther a better fit. I have fat hands so the Glocks suit me fine, the G26 is a bit short though. Try to handle the guns and see which feels better and points better for you. Some people are sensitive to a gun's grip angle and it realy messes with how a gun points for them.

Both have the tennifer finish/treatment that is a snap to clean and super durable.

The Walthers have conventional barrels and you can shoot lead bullets if you want, not so with the Glocks.

My Glock is more accurate than my meager skills, but the Walters rank up with my CZ as the most accurate out of the box 9mm I have shot. Very nice!

The Walther in the AS trigger system blows the Glock's trigger away. The QA, not so much and I don't care for the long heavy DAO Walther trigger at all. The AS is crisp and the reset is about as close to my cheap 1911 as you can get, just shames the Glock.

Glock get the nod for parts. You can't walk through most gun stores with out tripping over inexpensive replacement parts for Glocks. Be it sights, springs, triggers, holsters or bayonets (ok perhaps not bayonets) somebody is making a version for your Glock.

Glocks are a joke to clean. Even with my lumbering ways, I can go from holster to field stripped in under 5 seconds with my G30. I haven't gone through the break-down on the P99's so I can't say for sure, but the Glocks are going to be hard to beat here.

The 9mm P99's are all German made and imported by Smith & Wesson. S&W is known for great service when needed and so far the Walther P99s have a great rep. Glocks are proven to be reliable, I have just over 3000 rounds through my G30 with no problems yet, and only time will tell how the P99's measure up here.

You can't go wrong with either pistol. They will be lighter and much eaiser to conceal than your 92 and are outstanding weapons. Try to handle and fire both and see which fits you better, it will probably be the deciding factor. What are your plans the the gun? Concealed carry, home def., or plinking/range time?

If it's 9mm you want, and why not?, then also consider the CZ line. My last handgun was a CZ 75b and my next will be a CZ P01. CZ is the most underated 9mm around and just can't be beat for the money, in my opinion.

Sorry if I'm posting things you already know. I'm a bit of a gun nut and tend to ramble on about them when I have the chance.

hl1978
12/27/2006 7:00am,
I own a fullsize P99 and love the ergonomics. both the p99 and p99c have swapable backstraps to adjust to larger or smaller hands. That is one feature I am not 100% on for the glock 26.

Planktime
12/28/2006 5:46pm,
Asia,

I had a S&W 99 (very similar to the Walther) for a while and did not like it. It functioned well and was in a .40 s&w rather then the 9mm. My problem was mostly due to the fact that the gun did not fit my hand quite right with any of the replaceable backs. Otherwise the gun shot very, my frends were very accurate with it. Just my 2 cents.

PT

wackamole
12/28/2006 5:53pm,
I like the adjustable grips on the p99 when I tried it at the gunstore. Though I didn't put any rounds through it. I can also vouch for S&W customer service being top notch. They just kick ass. I had a revolver break on me, and per my request, they cleaned up the trigger pull while it was in the shop. I paid only the shipping cost to S&W. The trigger is now comparable to customized S&W revolvers I have shot.

Gezere
12/28/2006 8:56pm,
Fired the P99 fullsize a bit more. I liked it alot. Grip felt good and the trigger felt great. Still you guys have given me some others I want to try. I thought this was going to be a simple choice but you fuckers screwed that up. Thanks.

Don Gwinn
12/29/2006 9:58am,
Somebody please explain to me why you can't hit someone over the head with a Glock 26? I'm afraid I don't get it. Because it's not "all steel?" Who cares?

Sure there are lots of good guns out there, but I don't find this "What you REALLY ought to get is . . . . " stuff helpful. If somebody who knows what he's doing says he's got it narrowed down to two guns, a helpful post shouldn't consist of telling him all the reasons why his choices are wrong.

ar549
12/29/2006 1:29pm,
Somebody please explain to me why you can't hit someone over the head with a Glock 26? I'm afraid I don't get it. Because it's not "all steel?" Who cares?

Sure there are lots of good guns out there, but I don't find this "What you REALLY ought to get is . . . . " stuff helpful. If somebody who knows what he's doing says he's got it narrowed down to two guns, a helpful post shouldn't consist of telling him all the reasons why his choices are wrong.

In the fine art of pistol whipping and cold cocking with a handgun the 1911 is as good as it gets. Don as big as you are Im a little suprised you believe you would get the same results from cracking someone with a G26 versus 1911, Sure I would hit sombody with one but I would always be more comfortable sapping them with the barrel and slide of a steel 1911.

Asia can get whatever he wants and the G26 is a fine and popular weapon. Most people I know and myself included do not consider it a primary weapon where as the 92 he would be replacing is a primary weapon.

Im trying to be helpful here based on my experiance, I just dont care to help him make a choice based on limeted information. He is looking for a primary weapon and I believe one of the new Sig or Wilson 45s or the Sig dehorned 9mm or 357Sig are a much better choice and would give superior results if God forbid you ever did have to defend your family with a handgun.

If you feel Wilson or Sig are a poor choice maybe you can explain that to me?

Planktime
12/29/2006 7:42pm,
In the fine art of pistol whipping and cold cocking with a handgun the 1911 is as good as it gets. Don as big as you are Im a little suprised you believe you would get the same results from cracking someone with a G26 versus 1911, Sure I would hit sombody with one but I would always be more comfortable sapping them with the barrel and slide of a steel 1911.

Asia can get whatever he wants and the G26 is a fine and popular weapon. Most people I know and myself included do not consider it a primary weapon where as the 92 he would be replacing is a primary weapon.

Im trying to be helpful here based on my experiance, I just dont care to help him make a choice based on limeted information. He is looking for a primary weapon and I believe one of the new Sig or Wilson 45s or the Sig dehorned 9mm or 357Sig are a much better choice and would give superior results if God forbid you ever did have to defend your family with a handgun.

If you feel Wilson or Sig are a poor choice maybe you can explain that to me?

It is not that anyone here thinks Sig or Wilson are bad choices (I just bought a 220 in fact). However this is a multiple chose exam so if you write in you own answer you look like more of a tool then I usually do.

Asia, if you like the p99 it is a great gun get yourself one. Like I said i thought it was the bee's knees until I realized that I am grossly inaccurate with the thing. (did i really say bee's knees?)

MONGO
12/29/2006 8:12pm,
I remembered some of the aftermarket parts for the Glock 26 to make it more "hand friendly" and I would have to recommend it. I stick by the after market sights advice but I do recommend all of the Glock series weapons.

They are extremely reliable and easy to work on. Get a copy of the armourers manual and detail it once every 6 months and your golden. Plus you can wear the gun in an ankle rig or in a front IWB carry.

Don Gwinn
12/30/2006 4:33am,
If he wants something else, then those are bad choices, yes.

If someone were to go out and buy a gun because some guy on the internet said "get this, it's way better than what you think you like" then that makes that gun a bad choice for that person, too.

I was not only talking to AR549. Maybe I've just been around gun forums too long.

I have nothing against Wilson or SIG. SIG is one of my favorite gun makers. Wilson, I think, gets more for some models than one has to pay to get similar performance elsewhere, but I don't own one and never have. The ones I've shot have been excellent. None of that really has anything to do with what we're doing here, though, because Asia asked about Glock 26 vs. P99C.

And frankly, I find it silly to be that worried about how well your pistol works as a club. They all work. Glocks are a little lighter, but they're still significant hand weights made of very hard plastic and steel. Given the likelihood of actually clubbing someone when you have a pistol in your hand, I don't see the point. If it needs to be done, the G26 will do it.

I carry (after a fashion, in accord with local laws) a SIG P220. I've got nothing against .45, full-size frames, or metal construction. I just don't see what's so compelling about any of the three that I should try to derail somebody else's choice.

I'm not telling anybody what to post. I just thought I'd register how very weary it makes me.