PDA

View Full Version : Weapons martial arts BS

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

George-Jitsu
12/16/2006 10:18pm,
I've never practiced martial arts with weapons before, so I know very little about them. Which weapons styles do you all feel are not B.S.?

RoninPimp
12/17/2006 12:29am,
Its BS unless you gear up and bang. Just like empty hands.

Stolenbjorn
12/17/2006 5:25am,
There are several reasons for wanting to train with weapons, so here's my little oppinion on the matter:
A: "I want to learn how to use weapons, so I know that combat is like"(MMA)
B: "I want to learn how combat was like "X" years ago in the "Y" culture" (TMA)
C: "I want to win in the (insert MA-name)-sport-system" (Several modern MA-sports)
D: "I want to exersise my body, and hate the gym and aerobics. I don't care what I learn, as long as it keeps me fit."

(Now, as you start your thread in Bullshido.net, you probably are in category "A" or "C".)

If you're in category "A", then Ronin Pimp's advise is right:
Its BS unless you gear up and bang. Just like empty hands.

If you're in category "C", his advise is still, correct, but make sure you learn the sport's rules, so that you don't keep getting disqualified...

If you're in category "B", RP's advise is still valid, but it's smart to learn historical correct techniaues up to a certain level before you start gearing up and bang (free-sparring), or you'll end up doing MMA, which isn't wrong, or anything, it's just not (nessecarily)TMA.

If you're in category "D", RP's advise is valid if you don't mind beeing beaten up on occation.

Nate1481
12/17/2006 1:15pm,
If If the answer is A (or to some extent B, for FMA) then http://www.dogbrothers.com/ is a good place to start.

Permalost
12/18/2006 5:51pm,
Lameco Escrima: the Dog Brothers and Cold Steel, both of which emphasize sparring, use elements of the art. They also make a lot of safety gear popular with those who train hard with weapons.

Krabi Krabong: long history of sparring, also part of the Dog Brothers mixture. Also contains elements almost identical to muay thai, which is no BS.

Pekiti Tirsia: lots of LE types, speak highly of it, and again finds its way into the Dog Brothers material somewhat. Lots of RBSD types are into pekiti tirsia.

Sayoc Kali: I don't know as much about it, but they don't seem to get into chi or the occult, and they spar hard I've heard.

Bando: Also somewhat similar to muay thai, and with sparring. The Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri, designed with the American Bando Association, is no BS either.

Some European MA: techniques were never built around an understanding of chi or anything similar nor were they practiced just for health or spiritual reasons. As such, they have always been about fighting and pragmatism. Different associations handle thing differently though- some might be teaching real fighting techniques with sparring, some might teach the same stuff with no sparring, some might teach stage combat for LARPers, or somewhere in between.

Some Chinese Martial Arts: Some spar with weapons, some (most, I'd say) do not.

Mr. Mantis
1/11/2007 4:36pm,
Any style tested on the battlefield is not BS.

Hanniballistic
1/11/2007 4:40pm,
Any style tested on the battlefield is not BS.

Yes, but what battle and when? By that standard we would all still be throwing monkey-poo

Ken
1/11/2007 5:03pm,
Yes, but what battle and when? By that standard we would all still be throwing monkey-poo

Hey, it might be worth a try. :)

"Please eat a healthy serving of bran muffins and fried beans before class. Stop by our pro-shop for the new bottomless Thai-shorts and Gi pants!"

plasma
1/11/2007 5:27pm,
Goerge-Jutsu which weapon do you want to learn? Thats the first question that needs to be answered.

Neildo
1/11/2007 6:03pm,
There are several reasons for wanting to train with weapons, so here's my little oppinion on the matter:
A: "I want to learn how to use weapons, so I know that combat is like"(MMA)
B: "I want to learn how combat was like "X" years ago in the "Y" culture" (TMA)
C: "I want to win in the (insert MA-name)-sport-system" (Several modern MA-sports)
D: "I want to exersise my body, and hate the gym and aerobics. I don't care what I learn, as long as it keeps me fit."

(Now, as you start your thread in Bullshido.net, you probably are in category "A" or "C".)

If you're in category "A", then Ronin Pimp's advise is right:

If you're in category "C", his advise is still, correct, but make sure you learn the sport's rules, so that you don't keep getting disqualified...

If you're in category "B", RP's advise is still valid, but it's smart to learn historical correct techniaues up to a certain level before you start gearing up and bang (free-sparring), or you'll end up doing MMA, which isn't wrong, or anything, it's just not (nessecarily)TMA.

If you're in category "D", RP's advise is valid if you don't mind beeing beaten up on occation.

You forgot 'E' which is: I like to hit stuff with weapons. Weapons are cool.

Matt Bernius
1/11/2007 6:41pm,
Rep to CodosDePiedra. Very good take. Though I'd argue that there a bit more than "some" Pekiti material in DBMA. Considering that Top Dog was one of Gaje's main students and Denny's done a lot of work with him.

- Matt

selfcritical
1/11/2007 9:31pm,
The material in "Attack Blocks", "Cycle Drills" and "Footwork" is all pretty much straight pekiti.

Also, finally got exposure to some sayoc stuff. Pretty intuitive structure, drill transition to aliveness quickly, I would say the only thing i see is that a lot of the basics and body mechanics aren't isolated and emphasized to the degree as Pekiti, but the knife work is pretty solid(and seems like a logical progression if you already have pektii knife basics down).

Permalost
1/12/2007 1:33am,
Rep to CodosDePiedra. Very good take. Though I'd argue that there a bit more than "some" Pekiti material in DBMA. Considering that Top Dog was one of Gaje's main students and Denny's done a lot of work with him.

- Matt

I've never done any pure pekiti tirsia myself, so I wasn't sure what to be looking for. Also Marc has a tendency to sometimes glance over where something is from and rather show what it is and why its useful.

Mr. Mantis
1/12/2007 11:46am,
You know of an art that uses poop? Cool...:5cold:

Hanniballistic
1/12/2007 12:56pm,
You know of an art that uses poop? Cool...:5cold:

It's a CMA actually....Whu Phlung Dung

selfcritical
1/12/2007 1:07pm,
I've never done any pure pekiti tirsia myself, so I wasn't sure what to be looking for. Also Marc has a tendency to sometimes glance over where something is from and rather show what it is and why its useful.

Also marc is not the most fluid guy in the world, so sometimes when he's demonstrating (as opposed to eric or lonley dog) it's a little hard to pull out what would normally be considered the distinctive elements of the movements.