PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys make of this?

Pages : [1] 2

The Limey
12/20/2005 12:29am,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3868648289863313105&q=silat

I'm interested in what you guys think about the striking techniques in this clip.

Ignoring the fact that the drills are obviously being done for demonstration purposes (hence the compliant partners) do you think strikes like that have any merit?

(please ignore the weapons and takedown stuff as well...I'm just interested in discussing striking)

I'm interested in hearing what people think about strikes done with that kind of speed:

Is it possible to get power to hurt someone with quick hits like that? Or are they merely done to keep the opponent off guard while you set something powerful up - like an elbow?

Or is it just Bullshido?

Maybe some of the more experienced CMAers/Silat guys can comment - I have zero CMA or Silat experience so I'm curious to hear if people think hitting like that is for show or useful in real life.

Thanks.

The Limey

The Limey
12/20/2005 12:42am,
And I put this in the wrong forum......mods please feel free to move it.

HwangJangLee
12/20/2005 12:45am,
first off i sure hope in your style you dont mean extreme martial arts?

HwangJangLee
12/20/2005 12:46am,
the guy is pretty fast and some of the stuff in there is worth while but no one is gonna let you do all that while they sit there

The Limey
12/20/2005 12:49am,
No I don't mean extreme martial arts.

Ex-TMA as in Ex-Traditional Martial Arts....more specifically Ex-TKD and Ex-Shotokan...but I can't fit all that in the bio so Ex-TMA had to do.

Sford
12/20/2005 1:03am,
I'm no expert on silat (or anything in MA, except how to get ripped off), but I've seen other videos of this guy and it seems to me that while silat may have its merits this guy appears to be working on an acting career. If I were being taught by him I'd probably pick the less "slap happy" type of attacks to focus on in my training.

Poop Loops
12/20/2005 3:09am,
Wasn't this JUST posted a while ago?

ojgsxr6
12/20/2005 3:35am,
Ok, this is just my take on it so I may be wrong. From a boxing viewpoint when he dodges or parries a strike he moves his upper body too much, kind of messing up his stance. His footwork is weird it doesn't look like he's ever 'rooted' for a solid shot, when he's not doing something in slow motion anyway. His footwork is also wierd in that his feet don't seem to follow his upper body movements.

Now I do see some things that also done in Enshin, like when he parries and moves off to a blindspot, only it's done in a more upright stance in Enshin, as opposed to the way he moves just his upper body around the strike, and then the trip only in Enshin we would do the O Soto Geri, so instead of just pushing him over I'd kind of kick his leg out from under him.

From what I've read Silat does have good things to offer, only many places have the whole "too deadly to spar" attitude, but I have also read about Silat schools that compete. So take my observations for what it's worth, also I probably did this more so that someone would critique my observations and possibly explain why I saw what I saw.

Christmas Spirit
12/20/2005 4:00am,
Damn it its that Clear Silat video again

I posted this one in the Google Video Thread (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29571&highlight=Clear+Silat) and it may have came up on the Clear Silat Thread (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26604&highlight=Clear+Silat) .

as for the striking ... yeah man .. getting slapped hurts ... .... ... ... ...

ojgsxr6
12/20/2005 4:01am,
Isn't Clear Silat the one with the No Touch KO's?

Christmas Spirit
12/20/2005 4:02am,
affirmative ....

and a bunch of other weird **** ....

bdweezil6998
12/20/2005 4:28am,
I've taken some silat in the past, and I've been hit by it in sparring. It has its merits. This guy had a lot of slapping going on. The stuff I remember had a lot of strikes to the joints...kinda tough to do in the heat of a real fight, but if you do land one, it's gonna sting. It's worth having in the old bag of tricks, but it's not the only thing I'd use in a fight.

Lucky Seven
12/20/2005 7:12am,
He can slap pretty fast thats for sure, and although it might hurt, in the heat of combat I'm not sure if that would stop someone on his tracks, he uses it as a set up to apply a more powerfull blow or some kind of joint manipulation but then again they just sit there waiting.

Guerrero
12/20/2005 8:22am,
I've rewritten the the Ren and Stimpy song to reflect this video and alot of other **** I've seen on the net. Here it goes: slappy, slappy...tap,tap...slappy,slappy...tap,tap...slapp y,slappy...tap,tap...and well, you can guess the rest.

Utah
12/20/2005 9:06am,
Have you ever seen a boxing match where anyone strikes like that?

If not, do you think professional boxers/fighters are just willfully "ignoring" these great techniques?

ace
12/28/2005 11:42am,
At the end of the day, you can be the fastest, the strongest and the most highly skilled martial artist, but if you can't hit your target.........it means nothing. Martial artists alway seem to assume that what they do works. Get into the ring to see whether you have distance skills against a moving opponent who is also being offensive. Don't use the excuse that you only do the real thing. Well the ring -boxing mma, full contact, or wrestling, is the most real place to try your distance skills, so quit with the excuses and justifications why you won't go into the ring to test your skills.
When people say they don't need to, it is a sign that they have never tested themselves other then their own students.........................