PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot. Aikido vs. Judo.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Tourettes
6/22/2005 12:55pm,
fat chicks should all be cheerleaders.

Camus
6/22/2005 12:58pm,
http://www.no-fat-chicks.de/no-fat-chicks-de.jpg

KickAHippie
6/22/2005 2:01pm,
You should scrap aikido, judo, and shotokan. Train in Short hand empty hand. Eye gouge and palm strike bitches!!!!!

Kistrael
6/23/2005 1:58pm,
Everytime you practice Aikido, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.

a43
6/23/2005 2:11pm,
The Aikido club in my town say they practice with resisting opponents (although it depends on your skill level and they stressed that you need to have good fall techniques first, as to avoid injuries). The Judo club openly states that they do not teach self defense and are entirely geared towards sport/competitive Judo. The Instructor of the Ju-Jutsu (The style is apparently Ju-Jutsu Kai) club answered a bit evasively on the question of whether they practiced situations emulating real life, against resisting opponents, vaguely alluding to self defense laws et cetera, which made me feel that they didn't train in a very "live" fashion, and he perhaps understood why this may be a concern, but didn't want to fully admit it.

While yes, I should simply go and check them out, would you still recommend Judo or Ju-Jutsu over Aikido for me? I was quite surprised that I got the most satisfactory reply from the Aikido instructor.

Ronin
6/23/2005 2:18pm,
The Aikido club in my town say they practice with resisting opponents (although it depends on your skill level and they stressed that you need to have good fall techniques first, as to avoid injuries). The Judo club openly states that they do not teach self defense and are entirely geared towards sport/competitive Judo. The Instructor of the Ju-Jutsu (The style is apparently Ju-Jutsu Kai) club answered a bit evasively on the question of whether they practiced situations emulating real life, against resisting opponents, vaguely alluding to self defense laws et cetera, which made me feel that they didn't train in a very "live" fashion, and he perhaps understood why this may be a concern, but didn't want to fully admit it.

While yes, I should simply go and check them out, would you still recommend Judo or Ju-Jutsu over Aikido for me? I was quite surprised that I got the most satisfactory reply from the Aikido instructor.

You ask a GENERALISED question, you get a GENERALISED answer.

ImAlrdyNum
6/23/2005 2:27pm,

Regardless of whether the Judo club stated they're geared more towards sport and competition, it's still above and beyond the training you'd get at the other two schools.

Tourettes
6/23/2005 2:29pm,
just because the judo is geared toward sport/competition doesn't mean you can't use it for self-defense. One of the last people I'd want to piss off is a competitive judoka - the sport aspect is rougher than you think...

Ronin
6/23/2005 2:32pm,
I remeber the first tiem I got my nose busted in judo.
The guy gripped my lapel and as he went to enter for a throw, BAM !! his hand comes up and ( without letting go the lapel) smacks my schnoze !
And he got the throw too !!

Tourettes
6/23/2005 2:32pm,
Regardless of whether the Judo club stated they're geared more towards sport and competition, it's still above and beyond the training you'd get at the other two schools.

awww, you beat me to it...

Tourettes
6/23/2005 2:38pm,
I remeber the first tiem I got my nose busted in judo.
The guy gripped my lapel and as he went to enter for a throw, BAM !! his hand comes up and ( without letting go the lapel) smacks my schnoze !
And he got the throw too !!

don't forget the variation - loosen up the gi and punch the jaw with the lapel grip to get the throw.

Judo's got some nasty stuff - people are too quick to dismiss it as "just a sport".

JohnnyFive
6/23/2005 2:50pm,
Hey, Yamashita recommends that variant in his book on O-soto-gari. He says as long as you keep the grip, it's legal!

Cassius
6/23/2005 2:53pm,
Vladmir Putin does Judo. If it's good enough for Poot-Poot, it is good enough for anyone.

Tourettes
6/23/2005 2:59pm,
Hey, Yamashita recommends that variant in his book on O-soto-gari. He says as long as you keep the grip, it's legal!

That book is kick ass. Yamashita was/is incredible.

Another nasty thing is when gripping the armpit instead of the label, you try and grab as much of the pectoral muscle and surrounding skin as possible - No gi? No problem...

Ronin
6/23/2005 3:05pm,

He got the ippon, I got a bloody nose and learned a valuable lesson.

Poop Loops
6/23/2005 3:25pm,
And people call it the Gentle Art.

PL