PDA

View Full Version : Boy dies in gym

scipio
10/02/2017 5:31am,
I don't know the full background to this but either this guy was trying to lift waaay above his ability or was seriously strong and it went wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41464134

100kg is a pretty good weight to be bench pressing for an experienced lifter - I do wonder if it was bravado or trying to see what his 1rm max was.

Falenay
10/02/2017 9:21am,
Apparently it took minutes before anyone took notice of the incident, despite there being mandatory supervision for under 16 year-olds:

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/brisbane-teenager-ben-shaw-dies-after-tragic-gym-accident-ng-b88615837z

(Originally read and linked in German news http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/australien-15-jaehriger-stirbt-nach-gewichtheben-in-fitness-studio-a-1170920.html)

scipio
10/02/2017 10:04am,
Just read the article - 30 minutes before anyone noticed..... ****.

However I can see it happening at the gym I go to, its a 24 hour gym and if you go out of core gym hours then there is no one around.

Christmas Spirit
10/03/2017 6:52am,
Just read the article - 30 minutes before anyone noticed..... ****.

However I can see it happening at the gym I go to, its a 24 hour gym and if you go out of core gym hours then there is no one around.

Holy crap. This story was easy to miss yesterday.

kimjonghng
10/06/2017 2:35am,
100kg is massive at that age, I know grown ass men who can't do that unless theyve really focused on bench work over everything else. My best was 115.5kg before I broke my arm for a 1 rep max.

Sounds like he really overestimated himself

scipio
10/06/2017 3:44am,
Yep - that pretty much sounds like the case. People often tend to forget that gyms can be dangerous places if you don't know what you are doing.

WorldChampions
10/26/2017 5:42am,
A lot of people, especially the newcomer in gym want to gain rapid results of bodybuilding and they start taking different kinds of things like steroids etc. By using these things no doubt they gain rapid results but theses steroids cause harmful side effects on health which cause heart attack. This is on record that most of young bodybuilders dies due to usage of steroids. So everyone should be conscious of side effects of these drugs and avoid to use them.

Falenay
10/26/2017 5:45am,
A lot of people, especially the newcomer in gym want to gain rapid results of bodybuilding and they start taking different kinds of things like steroids etc. By using these things no doubt they gain rapid results but theses steroids cause harmful side effects on health which cause heart attack. This is on record that most of young bodybuilders dies due to usage of steroids. So everyone should be conscious of side effects of these drugs and avoid to use them.
I'm not sure it makes a difference whether you took roids or not when the bar crushes your throat.

kimjonghng
10/26/2017 5:52am,

this has nothing to do with roid usage

scipio
10/26/2017 6:07am,
this has nothing to do with roid usage
Agree - it looks like a young man lifting beyound his ability, maybe egged on by friends or peer preasure to look "big" which ended extremely badly.

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

kimjonghng
10/27/2017 10:30am,
Agree - it looks like a young man lifting beyound his ability, maybe egged on by friends or peer preasure to look "big" which ended extremely badly.

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

If I understand the article correctly, he was left for around 30 minutes with the bar on him, do we really suspect friends would leave him like that for that long?

As someone who works in a gym i find male ego and people vastly overestimating their ability is a big one.

First timers trying to bench in the 00's routinely ends in disaster. Same with the only other exercise most of them know (bicep curl)