PDA

View Full Version : BJJ Times Should Stick with BJJ

Pages : [1] 2 3

BKR
9/20/2017 5:47pm,
So, I found this:
https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/homeless-guy-brazil-hits-massive-harai-goshi/

And I was like, cool, this should be interesting.
Then I watched the video: Note the title. Last I heard Harai Goshi is a Judo throw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FqiGq74UeU

And noticed that the throw wasn't even Harai Goshi. At first, I thought, OK more of leggy Harai Goshi merging into Ashi Guruma...

Then I really watched it, and it's neither. It's a leg-across/assisted Ippon Seoi Nage. Uke is clearly tossed up and over the shoulder of tori.

Tori even just holds uke in Kesa Gatame, no transition to KOB, Mount, or a submission.

Clearly, homeless dude has done some Kodokan Judo...

Nutcracker, sweet
9/20/2017 5:55pm,
Totally looks like Judo to me, when homeless guy is yanking on uke's at neck and elbow before the throw, you don't often see that in BJJ. Which brings me to my question: is there a name for that, in the syllabus? It's a staple move of judoka, used to position and/or off-balance uke before an attempt.

BKR
9/20/2017 6:29pm,
Totally looks like Judo to me, when homeless guy is yanking on uke's at neck and elbow before the throw, you don't often see that in BJJ. Which brings me to my question: is there a name for that, in the syllabus? It's a staple move of judoka, used to position and/or off-balance uke before an attempt.

It's not a named technique. Judo doesn't name set-ups/action reaction sequences, etc. I've had to make up names ( in English) to help students remember them. Even then, they tend to be generalities.

He is stiff-arming with his left hand to keep distance and to try to get uke to push back. Uke appears to tear off his own right hand grip, maybe to take a swing, tori does what I call "the bob", gets uke to step to uke left, and it's up and over.

GrouchyOldMan
9/20/2017 6:46pm,
Harai goshi WAS a judo throw, before Helio Gracie invented it. Or, stole it from the Koreans... which ever.

BKR
9/20/2017 7:00pm,
Harai goshi WAS a judo throw, before Helio Gracie invented it. Or, stole it from the Koreans... which ever.

He learned Judo from Maeda, so he could not have invented it.

The Koreans and Russians colluded...

Permalost
9/20/2017 7:07pm,
I've heard judo is common in gradeschool in Brazil, is that true?

GrouchyOldMan
9/20/2017 7:14pm,
He learned Judo from Maeda, so he could not have invented it.

The Koreans and Russians colluded...

He trained in jujitsu under Maeda (or maybe it was "jiujitsu"... depends on which non-MA forum all of the non-practicing MA "experts" are discussing it).

Either way, suggesting that BJJ is rooted in that ***** sports based **** really detracts from the fullness of Gracie awesomeness.

GrouchyOldMan
9/20/2017 7:16pm,

I've never heard that but it wouldn't surprise me. I was a little surprised to learn how popular it actually is, worldwide.

Nutcracker, sweet
9/20/2017 7:41pm,
tori does what I call "the bob"

Yep, that's what I was asking. Very apt name. Benbob, perhaps?

SneakyGoblin
9/20/2017 7:56pm,

Beekbob?

WFMurphyPhD
9/20/2017 8:50pm,

Mestre Helio Gracie seemed to perform hane goshi more than harai goshi.

WFMurphyPhD
9/20/2017 8:55pm,

Futbol very, very common.

Judo quite popular because it is an Olympic sport, and the Brazilians are mad about sports.

I went to Brazil several times in the 90's.

Many, many more times the number of people in Brazil played Judo compared to Jiu-Jitsu when I was there.

The UFC gave new life to Jiu-Jitsu and Vale Tudo competition in Brazil, and re-popularized Jiu-Jitsu.

On the other hand, we used to joke there were so many Jiu-Jitsu black belts in Rio that if you shot a gun, the bullet would likely go through a couple black belts...
But that was more just a joke.
There were more (Gracie style) Jiu-Jitsu black belts in Rio than anywhere else in the world at that time, but they were very outnumbered by Judo black belts.

BKR
9/20/2017 11:01pm,
He trained in jujitsu under Maeda (or maybe it was "jiujitsu"... depends on which non-MA forum all of the non-practicing MA "experts" are discussing it).

Either way, suggesting that BJJ is rooted in that ***** sports based **** really detracts from the fullness of Gracie awesomeness.

He was a Kodokan yudansha.

BKR
9/20/2017 11:03pm,
Mestre Helio Gracie seemed to perform hane goshi more than harai goshi.

In the video I have seen, true.

Hane Goshi was at one time very popular.

BKR
9/20/2017 11:06pm,

Not my invention, standard judo. He did a rather exaggerated one, probably due to size difference and no jacket.

Kravbizarre
9/21/2017 6:01am,
If its true it'll be in Sao Paulo if anywhere. Its like the judo capital of Brazil (best judoka are from there apparently, also jap population is bigger so maybe thats why).