PDA

View Full Version : which would you prefer to be in? A lower weight category or a higher one?

Pages : [1] 2

kimjonghng
9/16/2017 7:25am,
Asking this now that I am off meds and weight is frankly stripping off me. I've always been on the border or 90k for judo tournaments, and wondered in your style/sport for competition, what would you prefer?

I can imagine if I went heavier I'd have less people to fight in judo tournaments, but if I stripped down too much I'd feel quite weak by comparison.

Likewise, I can imagine some sports that are more striking based it might be more useful to be smaller.

MisterMR
9/16/2017 8:28am,
Imho if you are close to the lower limit of a category, it's better to lose weight.
But if you are in the middle of a category, you lose too much strength if you try to lose weight.
This assumes that you are already close to you optimal weight, for a fatty like me it's obvious that I would have to lose 15-20 kg to be seriously competitive in anything.

kimjonghng
9/16/2017 8:50am,
Imho if you are close to the lower limit of a category, it's better to lose weight.
But if you are in the middle of a category, you lose too much strength if you try to lose weight.
This assumes that you are already close to you optimal weight, for a fatty like me it's obvious that I would have to lose 15-20 kg to be seriously competitive in anything.

Im personally unsure how low I could realistically go, I had to put on muscle to support my frame because Im quite broad and naturally I was always heavy even as a kid. I'd probably suffer losing 10kg of weight.

DCS
9/16/2017 9:20am,
Being the biggest guy in your weight class is usually better than being the smallest one.

Karish
9/16/2017 10:59am,
Likewise, I can imagine some sports that are more striking based it might be more useful to be smaller.

Please enlighten me about how being smaller is an advantage in striking arts, so i can feel incredibly great about my skinny-ness

NeilG
9/16/2017 2:05pm,
Depends on the judo tournaments. There often aren't enough guys for higher categories, so above 90 you are basically fighting open and can run into some huge people. -81 and -73 generally have the most people and a lot of them are very serious. So if you want the highest quality, highest number of opponents then try to get to 81 kg. If you feel like challenging your waza against a fat green belt, stay above 90. Locally, -90 usually has guys like me, recreational players who can't be bothered to train to proper fighting weight.

MisterMR
9/16/2017 2:08pm,
Please enlighten me about how being smaller is an advantage in striking arts, so i can feel incredibly great about my skinny-ness

Because you fight against other skinny guys.

kimjonghng
9/17/2017 2:57am,

Tend to find (on average) the fighters who are lighter tend to be a bit nippier, and the reduced frame size means less of them to move out of the way of incoming strikes.

Could just be my experiences but it's something I've definitely noticed. We also have a lady whose very short and thin, but she's a lot quicker than most of us and I've found many a time from her boxing background when doing K-1 if I'm not careful with my swings she'll get completely under my arms and hit me before I've even retracted my arms.

kimjonghng
9/17/2017 2:59am,
Depends on the judo tournaments. There often aren't enough guys for higher categories, so above 90 you are basically fighting open and can run into some huge people. -81 and -73 generally have the most people and a lot of them are very serious. So if you want the highest quality, highest number of opponents then try to get to 81 kg. If you feel like challenging your waza against a fat green belt, stay above 90. Locally, -90 usually has guys like me, recreational players who can't be bothered to train to proper fighting weight.

found this in my first tournament when they changed my meds to one with weight gain side effects, I ballooned up to 99 k and then my 5'9 ass what fighting a 6'5 brick shithouse who was basically final fight's abigail in a gi.

Michael Tzadok
9/17/2017 6:15am,
Well I've always wrestled heavy weight, and was always at the bottom of the weight class. Personally I found that I could leverage my increased speed and athleticism against my heavier opponents. It worked really well for me. Being on the upper end can also cost you, ask Chris Taylor, who lost two Olympic matches in '72 because the referees felt sorry for his smaller opponents and so gave them calls that they should not have gotten. One of the refs even admitted to it.

MarJoe
9/17/2017 11:28pm,
I believe in fighting at my best fighting weight . I never cut weight . I felt that I would lose stamia and gas out. In boxing the general rule is the taller the other boxer. Fighting in the 145 lb. class. I had my fair share of them. A 6 ft at my weight it was rare to find one with boxing skills and have power too. Up or down a weight class ? Where do you feel the is your best fighting weight?

kimjonghng
9/18/2017 4:33am,
I believe in fighting at my best fighting weight . I never cut weight . I felt that I would lose stamia and gas out. In boxing the general rule is the taller the other boxer. Fighting in the 145 lb. class. I had my fair share of them. A 6 ft at my weight it was rare to find one with boxing skills and have power too. Up or down a weight class ? Where do you feel the is your best fighting weight?

Im actually unsure. I've definitely found dieting down is a struggle for me, but then my body has had a lot of side effects from being on various antidepressants (mostly weight gain, bloating, insomnia etc) and I started competing in that time. I've never know what is my 'normal' or best weight to be at, som im looking at that now.

MisterMR
9/18/2017 4:40am,
Im actually unsure. I've definitely found dieting down is a struggle for me, but then my body has had a lot of side effects from being on various antidepressants (mostly weight gain, bloating, insomnia etc) and I started competing in that time. I've never know what is my 'normal' or best weight to be at, som im looking at that now.

Based on the boxers I know, the normal or best weight for them is what other people would call a really slim body, plus a lot of muscles.

BKR
9/18/2017 1:47pm,
Asking this now that I am off meds and weight is frankly stripping off me. I've always been on the border or 90k for judo tournaments, and wondered in your style/sport for competition, what would you prefer?

I can imagine if I went heavier I'd have less people to fight in judo tournaments, but if I stripped down too much I'd feel quite weak by comparison.

Are you losing fat or muscle, or some of both? If it's mostly fat, I'd go for the lower weight class.

Are you losing strength as well ? I know you weren't able to really lift due to your elbow injury. If you can maintain 90 kg strength and go down one weight class...

kimjonghng
9/22/2017 12:55pm,
Are you losing fat or muscle, or some of both? If it's mostly fat, I'd go for the lower weight class.

Are you losing strength as well ? I know you weren't able to really lift due to your elbow injury. If you can maintain 90 kg strength and go down one weight class...

I seem to be losing fat given how my shape is changing, and for the most part my strength isn't far off what it was (given no deadlifting or bench with the arm) and Im feeling stronger. That said I could probably afford to drop some weight anyway gradually rather than go for a weight cut. I know guys who do the whole '1 week fast and nothing but water' diet for the week before a comp, then a suana then suck on the day because they dont realize they are starved and dehydrated...

BKR
9/22/2017 1:29pm,
I seem to be losing fat given how my shape is changing, and for the most part my strength isn't far off what it was (given no deadlifting or bench with the arm) and Im feeling stronger. That said I could probably afford to drop some weight anyway gradually rather than go for a weight cut. I know guys who do the whole '1 week fast and nothing but water' diet for the week before a comp, then a suana then suck on the day because they dont realize they are starved and dehydrated...

Sounds like you are doing well then. Keep losing the weight gradually, as a side effect of getting off of the meds, and see where you end up. At just under 90 kg, see what your body fat looks like, and adjust from there.

If you can still lose some bodyfat (you don't have to be shredded by any means), you could keep dropping a bit more, but at some point you will be able to eat more, lift and get stronger/gain muscle mass to stay in -90 kg.

The next weight class down is -81 kg, you 'd have to be pretty darned fat to get down to 81 kilos, I imagine.

At your level of judo, you should show up at a shiai ready to go without having to do any stupid weight-cutting. Being fully hydrated, rested, and not hypoglycemic is a good thing.

I say all this never having seen you in person, doing Judo or otherwise, so it's just general advice.