PDA

View Full Version : Surveillance Society

Chasman
9/14/2017 7:39am,
In these days where you are so likely to be filmed by surveillance and other people, there seems to be some merit in letting your aggressor attack first to solidify your position of self-defence. What's the best reactive martial art?

Christmas Spirit
9/14/2017 7:43am,
Gen BS ----------- > YMAS

I suggest Aikido or Wing Tsun or Kenpo. I heard there are some serious bad asses in Kenpo.

MisterMR
9/14/2017 7:50am,
In these days where you are so likely to be filmed by surveillance and other people, there seems to be some merit in letting your aggressor attack first to solidify your position of self-defence. What's the best reactive martial art?

In the olden times when there weren't many cameras around, I think that striking first while you "aggressor" was just talking still counted as arseholeness.

DCS
9/14/2017 7:56am,
Karate Ni Sente Nashi

Christmas Spirit
9/14/2017 8:08am,
In the olden times when there weren't many cameras around, I think that striking first while you "aggressor" was just talking still counted as arseholeness.

Actually that is called "assault and battery" or "battery".

If you are fighting on the streetzz it should be last resort and in a true self defense situation who struck who first is fantasy. You are fighting because you have to fight to either get away or survive.

If OP is worried about cameras I seriously suggest Aikido. It will look great on film and is designed to react scientifically to an attack. No other martial art is suited to dealing with an attacker who strikes first. If you have ever seen a real fight you would know Aikido is the only option, except maybe kenpo with the 15 pressure point strike combo counter to a wild haymaker taught to orange belts.

MisterMR
9/14/2017 8:33am,
Actually that is called "assault and battery" or "battery".

Only because in these fallen days we have cameras.
/sarcasm

Chasman
9/14/2017 12:09pm,
My apologies, I should have mentioned I live in the UK where our self-defence laws are rubbish... I won't bore you with the details. It needs to be as clear cut as possible that you are trying to cool things down and leave.

To refine my original question, it's not really about who hits first, it's about appearances. If your reaction to someone else's aggression is to take up a stance:

1) You are inviting, arguably even consenting, to violence.
2) Tipping off the aggressor you've had at least some training.
3) Making him look chicken in front of his buddies if he backs down, meaning violence is almost inevitable.
4) Looking less sympathetic to a jury.

Ideally I want to have both arms in front of me, open palms in a placatory gesture. I know someone is going to say that's a red rag to a bully and I get that, but the footage will be 100% on my side, assuming I win if it kicks off.

Two votes for Kenpo (American Kenpo I assume, lots of rapid strikes) and two for Aikido... I was considering Jiu Jitsu but I'll see what the situation is here for the others. Think I'm buggered for Karate Ni Sente Nashi in UK... the clubs a too far away but thanks, it sounds ideal, no initiation of aggression.

PDA
9/14/2017 12:38pm,
Nothing says "I'm a bad ass you better run muddufuka" quite like a perfectly excecuted siu nim tao when faced with rampant thuggery.

DCS
9/14/2017 12:43pm,
My apologies, I should have mentioned I live in the UK ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08BqaSuEE_w

Christmas Spirit
9/14/2017 1:08pm,
My apologies, I should have mentioned I live in the UK where our self-defence laws are rubbish... I won't bore you with the details. It needs to be as clear cut as possible that you are trying to cool things down and leave.

To refine my original question, it's not really about who hits first, it's about appearances. If your reaction to someone else's aggression is to take up a stance:

3) Making him look chicken in front of his buddies if he backs down, meaning violence is almost inevitable.

Where are you getting these silly ideas?

Ideally I want to have both arms in front of me, open palms in a placatory gesture. I know someone is going to say that's a red rag to a bully and I get that, but the footage will be 100% on my side, assuming I win if it kicks off.
again your ideas are strange where are your sources for this information?

Two votes for Kenpo (American Kenpo I assume, lots of rapid strikes) and two for Aikido... I was considering Jiu Jitsu but I'll see what the situation is here for the others. Think I'm buggered for Karate Ni Sente Nashi in UK... the clubs a too far away but thanks, it sounds ideal, no initiation of aggression.
I was joking about Kenpo, you see most ke*po is a joke.
Compliantly trained fantasy techniques, much like it's grappling cousin Aikido.
I saw your style field and thought it would be funny.

If you want to avoid legal problems stay out of situations which lead to violence.

If you insist on participating in violence may I suggest an art which does not leave the other guys face smashed in. Judges do not like trained martial artists going all Van Damme on people.

ChenPengFi
9/14/2017 1:32pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eQ6P3aazso

Kovacs
9/14/2017 2:00pm,

Learn more about UK self defence laws, they're clear cut and reasonable. If you can back away to put your dukes up that means you have a chance to retreat, take it as that looks good in court and you'll save yourself the hassle of a fight.

If he follows and is still aggressive or you really have no way out then bang him the **** out, you've shown that you were not willing to fight but were left no choice as he persued you. Hit him first, there is no law saying that you must wait to be attacked.

Christmas Spirit
9/14/2017 2:07pm,
Learn more about UK self defence laws, they're clear cut and reasonable. If you can back away to put your dukes up that means you have a chance to retreat, take it as that looks good in court and you'll save yourself the hassle of a fight.

If he follows and is still aggressive or you really have no way out then bang him the **** out, you've shown that you were not willing to fight but were left no choice as he persued you. Hit him first, there is no law saying that you must wait to be attacked.

I am very curious as to where he got his information from.

DdlR
9/15/2017 7:33am,
Assuming that the OP is both in earnest and inexperienced in martial arts, it's worth reinforcing that the aikido and kempo "recommendations" were facetious and that "karate ni sente nashi" means "there is no first attack in karate" - it's a philosophical motto, not a style.

If you have the chance in a street confrontation - and that's a big "if" - then yes, it's generally considered to be good tactics to visibly (and vocally) demonstrate that you're not the aggressive party. Many self-defense instructors teach a stance similar to a boxing stance but with the open palms turned towards the aggressor, which reads as "I don't want any trouble", and if there are witnesses nearby it may help if you loudly say something along those lines as well. If you're lucky, that may actually defuse the situation; if not, and if there's a legal aftermath, you'll be about as covered as you can hope to be.

Beyond that tactic - i.e., training in what to do if they've made the first move and the fight is on - try to find an RBSD (reality-based self-defense) class that prioritizes "live", resistance-based training.