PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer The Old Traditional way of training Kung Fu or the New Way?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Donnie M.
9/13/2017 9:56am,
So I went out shopping for a kung fu School to train and I found a interesting concept starting to take hold in the U.S.A. Sure I found few and I mean very few legit traditional studios such as a Wing Chun Studio 90 minutes away and a traditional Tai Chi Chuan 108 long form but , itís what I found locally that is the heart of this topic.

I found a Tai Chi and Kung Fu Academy where the Sifu/Instructor had attended a Wushu Institute and University where he majored in Wushu. His career began at age eight when he was selected from thousands of children to attend the Jiangsu Wushu Institute. At 17, he continued his study of Wushu culture and philosophy at Nanjing University and eventually joined its faculty.

Wow ok, so help me here. With hundreds of different styles in Kung Fu alone, if Iím understanding this right, and please correct me if Iím wrong. So those students who attend this Jiangsu Wushu Institute is like say a grade school or high school in the U.S. if you will for Wushu. Not any particular style but a general knowledge or studies of many different styles of Kung Fu.

Then when you graduate there you go to college such as the (Nanjing University) and study a major interest such as Nanquan or Changquan and maybe a minor in Tai Chi Chaun. Basically picking the styles to study per semester till graduation. Where he will graduate with say a Bachelor of Arts degree in Wushu or a Wushu degree if you will. So the student decides to go on and really specialize in a specific system or style. I guess he would apply for graduate school for a particular system or style right?
So if I understand this correctly this is a way to combine all kung Fu styles into one system (hypothetically speaking). But what happens to the traditional way, the old Masters, and their secrets of a particular style or system of kung Fu. Where it takes a lifetime to master one system. Is it lost to time and progress and time? I can see where this progress in times could be the end of the romantic and traditional way of learning. I hope Iím wrong this is not the case for such styles such as Wing Chun, Fujian White Crane, Praying Mantis and other's. Even the temples of Shaolin had many different styles and systems but in the end if you were a monk you may have dabbled in many other styles but he specialized only in one for only one life is what he had. Also I must say that according to the academyís web page Master Zhuang's went on to become part of the faculty at Nanjing University where He worked on the effects of Tai Chi exercise on patients with Peripheral Neuropathy and Parkinson's disease.

Thank you for your time and hope you all respond to this very interesting concept and topic. Whatís your Thoughts?

Ming Loyalist
9/13/2017 12:42pm,
i prefer the ones that train students to step up on the lei tai platform and fight in full contact competitions. those are few and far between, and even some of those are teaching bullshit.

BKR
9/13/2017 12:51pm,
So I went out shopping for a kung fu School to train and I found a interesting concept starting to take hold in the U.S.A. Sure I found few and I mean very few legit traditional studios such as a Wing Chun Studio 90 minutes away and a traditional Tai Chi Chuan 108 long form but , itís what I found locally that is the heart of this topic.

I found a Tai Chi and Kung Fu Academy where the Sifu/Instructor had attended a Wushu Institute and University where he majored in Wushu. His career began at age eight when he was selected from thousands of children to attend the Jiangsu Wushu Institute. At 17, he continued his study of Wushu culture and philosophy at Nanjing University and eventually joined its faculty.

Wow ok, so help me here. With hundreds of different styles in Kung Fu alone, if Iím understanding this right, and please correct me if Iím wrong. So those students who attend this Jiangsu Wushu Institute is like say a grade school or high school in the U.S. if you will for Wushu. Not any particular style but a general knowledge or studies of many different styles of Kung Fu.

Then when you graduate there you go to college such as the (Nanjing University) and study a major interest such as Nanquan or Changquan and maybe a minor in Tai Chi Chaun. Basically picking the styles to study per semester till graduation. Where he will graduate with say a Bachelor of Arts degree in Wushu or a Wushu degree if you will. So the student decides to go on and really specialize in a specific system or style. I guess he would apply for graduate school for a particular system or style right?
So if I understand this correctly this is a way to combine all kung Fu styles into one system (hypothetically speaking). But what happens to the traditional way, the old Masters, and their secrets of a particular style or system of kung Fu. Where it takes a lifetime to master one system. Is it lost to time and progress and time? I can see where this progress in times could be the end of the romantic and traditional way of learning. I hope Iím wrong this is not the case for such styles such as Wing Chun, Fujian White Crane, Praying Mantis and other's. Even the temples of Shaolin had many different styles and systems but in the end if you were a monk you may have dabbled in many other styles but he specialized only in one for only one life is what he had. Also I must say that according to the academyís web page Master Zhuang's went on to become part of the faculty at Nanjing University where He worked on the effects of Tai Chi exercise on patients with Peripheral Neuropathy and Parkinson's disease.

Thank you for your time and hope you all respond to this very interesting concept and topic. Whatís your Thoughts?

I suggest you stop using your time thinking or doing Kung Fu, Wing Chun, etc, except in the apparently exceptional circumstances that Ming Loyalist described in his post above this one.

That is IF you want to learn an effective martial art/combat sport.

Donnie M.
9/13/2017 5:04pm,
Don't really understand that last post but I do train in a Combat system BJJ, I was looking into the CMA for Tai Chi and ran across this and thought it was a interesting but yet unfamiliar concept to me. But thanks for your input.

BKR
9/13/2017 5:24pm,
Don't really understand that last post but I do train in a Combat system BJJ, I was looking into the CMA for Tai Chi and ran across this and thought it was a interesting but yet unfamiliar concept to me. But thanks for your input.

What is "a combat system BJJ"?

And you are correct, I somehow missed your "style" tag.

One can major in PE and get a specialty teaching degree in Judo in Japan, and in Europe (not in the US to my knowledge). I'd guess something similar is available in Russia (Michael T ?) for Judo and or Sambo.

If that is what they are doing in China for wushu and other CMA, makes sense.

Raycetpfl
9/13/2017 5:32pm,

One can major in PE and get a specialty teaching degree in Judo in Japan, and in Europe (not in the US to my knowledge). I'd guess something similar is available in Russia (Michael T ?) for Judo and or Sambo.

Oh my god! I can major in pajama fighting in Europe! Instead of a PhD do you get BaMf? I am packing my bags.

Donnie M.
9/13/2017 6:02pm,
I guess all things that are man made always has it's disputes even in our discipline (BKR) Jiu Jitsu, BJJ and now Ricksons new Global federation and I understand that they prefer to be labeled as Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Maybe I can go to Brazil and enroll in one of their universities and get a masters in BJJ or GJJ and graduate with a coral belt. No telling how far this could go lol. But rest assured there are far too many non legit instructors out there to brain wash you just enough to get you ass handed to you and then charge you double to fix what went wrong lol.

Pship Destroyer
9/13/2017 6:11pm,

From what little I understand of wushu, it's more or less gymnastics with a combative flair (e.g. weapons and 720 degree kicks, instead of ribbons and parallel bars).

Given the skill required to perform wushu professionally, it makes sense that there would be a lot of schools in China offering to teach it. It's all but an Olympic sport within the country, after all.

For practical martial arts, it's probably not what people would want...lots of theory and beautiful form and so on, but very little in terms of practicum.

It would be nice to see practical applications of kung fu more often...I know there are plenty of BS threads on the subject and they're really entertaining....but like Ming said it really seems to be hit or miss. Either kung fu looks great in competition, or it absolutely fails. There's no middle ground.

Raycetpfl
9/13/2017 6:16pm,
I guess all things that are man made always has it's disputes even in our discipline (BKR) Jiu Jitsu, BJJ and now Ricksons new Global federation and I understand that they prefer to be labeled as Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Maybe I can go to Brazil and enroll in one of their universities and get a masters in BJJ or GJJ and graduate with a coral belt. No telling how far this could go lol. But rest assured there are far too many non legit instructors out there to brain wash you just enough to get you ass handed to you and then charge you double to fix what went wrong lol.

You have to be at least 40 to get a coral belt. If you got your black belt on your 19th birthday (19 is the age requirement) you would be 40 when you got your coral.
The time it takes to get a Doctorate is equal a black belt in GJJ.

BKR
9/13/2017 6:57pm,

GJJ is a trademarked term, BTW.

I've never heard of a college degree (PE, emphasis jiu jitsu), but I guess it could happen. A little searching might turn something up. But my guess is that somebody would be bragging, er, advertising the fact by now...

You know that Judo is more popular in Brazil than BJJ or GJJ, correct ?

BKR
9/13/2017 6:58pm,
You have to be at least 40 to get a coral belt. If you got your black belt on your 19th birthday (19 is the age requirement) you would be 40 when you got your coral.
The time it takes to get a Doctorate is equal a black belt in GJJ.

Analogies always break down, though.

Pship Destroyer
9/13/2017 7:14pm,
You know that Judo is more popular in Brazil than BJJ or GJJ, correct ?

I would hope so. It's far richer in history, philosophy, and culture.

There's nothing wrong with BJJ but it's also a bit superficial, and I say that because when I meet someone who's done BOTH, it's a very different conversation than with somebody who's only done BJJ.

I've had chats with BJJ people who don't know who Jigoro Kano was, or worse make odd faces when you bring up anything about BJJ's Japanese roots...people can be so ignorant sometimes, while they sit on their high horse.

Donnie M.
9/13/2017 8:07pm,
Neither have I heard of such a university that has a major in BJJ I was just being sarcastic since CMA's has done it. It sure would eliminate a whole lot of wear and tear on this old body though. Your also right about Judo being more popular than BJJ although many take both. If i'm not mistaken tae kwon do is still in there too as very popular as well. It all balls down to how good your instructor is and then that doesn't really matter either unless you get on the mat and use it. Thats my 2 cents worth. Back to topic I just think it's sad that these old traditional CMA are being lost to this communist Wushu business. OSS!

BKR
9/13/2017 11:14pm,
I would hope so. It's far richer in history, philosophy, and culture.

There's nothing wrong with BJJ but it's also a bit superficial, and I say that because when I meet someone who's done BOTH, it's a very different conversation than with somebody who's only done BJJ.

I've had chats with BJJ people who don't know who Jigoro Kano was, or worse make odd faces when you bring up anything about BJJ's Japanese roots...people can be so ignorant sometimes, while they sit on their high horse.

Indeed...

MisterMR
9/14/2017 7:21am,

For what I know, I think that in some european country you can major in judo, but not in others (e.g. in France you can but not in Italy).

DCS
9/14/2017 7:52am,
For what I know, I think that in some european country you can major in judo, but not in others (e.g. in France you can but not in Italy).

Level ISCED (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Classification_of_Education ) 5b around here for Judo.