PDA

View Full Version : It's not the time to discuss climate change

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Bneterasedmynam
9/08/2017 6:51pm,
The excuse the republicans keep using about climate change, well other than it doesn't exist is that it's not time to discuss. So I'm just curious when is it time to discuss?? When we are all dead by wildfires, hurricanes, heatwaves, etc, etc, etc?? Maybe our new EPA chief will save us : http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/349811-epa-head-on-irma-now-isnt-the-time-to-talk-about-climate-change?amp. No I guess not.

BKR
9/08/2017 7:07pm,
The excuse the republicans keep using about climate change, well other than it doesn't exist is that it's not time to discuss. So I'm just curious when is it time to discuss?? When we are all dead by wildfires, hurricanes, heatwaves, etc, etc, etc?? Maybe our new EPA chief will save us : http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/349811-epa-head-on-irma-now-isnt-the-time-to-talk-about-climate-change?amp. No I guess not.

The climate is essentially changed for thousands of years.

Going back to pre-industrial levels of CO2 right now (in other words, make all people disappear, more or less), and it would be hundreds of years...

I'm not advocating NOT lowering greenhouse gas emissions, just that we need to be realistic about expectations even if significant (on paper) changes are made.

The problem is too many people, and the population is continuing to increase.

What you gonna do about that?

Bneterasedmynam
9/08/2017 8:02pm,

Going back to pre-industrial levels of CO2 right now (in other words, make all people disappear, more or less), and it would be hundreds of years...

I'm not advocating NOT lowering greenhouse gas emissions, just that we need to be realistic about expectations even if significant (on paper) changes are made.

I'm hoping for a technological save of some type, but that's not going to happen when half the country thinks the problem doesn't exist. That fat **** Rush Limbaugh said the hurricanes were fake news meant to propaganda for climate change. I notice he still decided to evacuate though.

Permalost
9/08/2017 9:28pm,

The old conservative policy of "**** those future generations" was more tenable when we weren't really feeling the effects of global warming. But we're past that point- the effects are becoming the current generation's problem rapidly.

The defeatist notion that it'd take hundreds of years to reverse is only true if we do the minimum. There are more approaches than simply reducing greenhouse gases. And its not like it took hundreds of years for anthropogenic global warming to have noticeable effects.

Nutcracker, sweet
9/09/2017 1:02am,
Entropy. /thread

Pship Destroyer
9/09/2017 1:20am,
E = m *c *c. {m = water and earth}.

There's so much more energy in the water now.

Hotter earth? Humans can deal with it.

Hotter water? Nope.

BKR
9/09/2017 1:26am,
I'm hoping for a technological save of some type, but that's not going to happen when half the country thinks the problem doesn't exist. That fat **** Rush Limbaugh said the hurricanes were fake news meant to propaganda for climate change. I notice he still decided to evacuate though.

Geoengineering solutions are fraught with their own problems as well particularly geo political or sociological problems.

I think that Rush is a big fat clown however what he said was itself subject to fake news reporting.

Mostly his own fault because he's pretty much an ignoramus about anything to do with science.

BKR
9/09/2017 1:29am,
The old conservative policy of "**** those future generations" was more tenable when we weren't really feeling the effects of global warming. But we're past that point- the effects are becoming the current generation's problem rapidly.

The defeatist notion that it'd take hundreds of years to reverse is only true if we do the minimum. There are more approaches than simply reducing greenhouse gases. And its not like it took hundreds of years for anthropogenic global warming to have noticeable effects.

You might want to look into the carbon cycle in Resident times for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

I don't want to f*** future Generations at all.

However we have to be realistic about what is going on.

BKR
9/09/2017 1:29am,
Entropy. /thread

Now that's a long-term outlook...

BKR
9/09/2017 1:31am,
E = m *c *c. {m = water and earth}.

There's so much more energy in the water now.

Hotter earth? Humans can deal with it.

Hotter water? Nope.

Last time I checked water was part of the Earth. Kind of interconnected into a whole system.

Pship Destroyer
9/09/2017 1:31am,
It's the time to discuss two historic hurricanes hitting our country in a matter of days.

This is what a hypercane looks like, according to MIT.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Typhoonsizes.jpg/220px-Typhoonsizes.jpg

Pship Destroyer
9/09/2017 1:33am,
Last time I checked water was part of the Earth. Kind of interconnected into a whole system.

By earth I mean matter that isn't water, hence the lowercase 'e'.

Climate change science is based on the premise that mankind has introduced a large amount of energy into the system in an organic/human-negative sense.

BKR
9/09/2017 1:34am,
By earth I mean matter that isn't water, hence the lowercase 'e'. doesn't really matter what you said didn't make any sense anyway.

BKR
9/09/2017 1:37am,
It's the time to discuss two historic hurricanes hitting our country in a matter of days.

This is what a hypercane looks like, according to MIT.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Typhoonsizes.jpg/220px-Typhoonsizes.jpg

Well that should help in a lot of droughts depending on where it hits or gets fairly close to.

They could use one right now to put out the the fires burning in LA...

Pship Destroyer
9/09/2017 1:44am,
doesn't really matter what you said didn't make any sense anyway.

I was just paraphrasing NASA.

Pship Destroyer
9/09/2017 1:46am,
Well that should help in a lot of droughts depending on where it hits or gets fairly close to.

They could use one right now to put out the the fires burning in LA...

Those fires are influenced by climate change too.

Did you see the picture of people golfing behind the Oregon fires? People just don't give a ****.

This is not photoshopped:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21316368_1241028496001648_8733304694012942286_o.jp g?oh=09fe1da8f2d6beffc5d6c4b99d3ba247&oe=5A13B419