PDA

View Full Version : A goju ryu practitioner wanting to know: aikido style techniques in shotokan?

kimjonghng
9/04/2017 10:12am,
Ok so I stumbled on this passage on http://moichido.co.uk/about-shokotan/

'Techniques in kihon and kata are characterized by deep, long stances that provide stability, enable powerful movements, and strengthen the legs. Shotokan is often regarded as a ‘hard’ and ‘external’ martial art because it is taught that way to beginners and coloured belts to develop strong basic techniques and stances. Initially strength and power are demonstrated instead of slower, more flowing motions. Those who progress to brown and black belt level develop a much more fluid style which incorporates grappling and some aikido-like techniques, which can be found in the black belt katas. Kumite techniques mirror these stances and movements at a basic level, but are less structured, with a focus instead on speed and efficiency.'

So anyway Ive been looking at some videos and most of it looks more jujitsu/judo than Aikido. Any examples of specific techniques?

daishi
11/12/2017 9:58pm,
Ok so I stumbled on this passage on http://moichido.co.uk/about-shokotan/

'Techniques in kihon and kata are characterized by deep, long stances that provide stability, enable powerful movements, and strengthen the legs. Shotokan is often regarded as a ‘hard’ and ‘external’ martial art because it is taught that way to beginners and coloured belts to develop strong basic techniques and stances. Initially strength and power are demonstrated instead of slower, more flowing motions. Those who progress to brown and black belt level develop a much more fluid style which incorporates grappling and some aikido-like techniques, which can be found in the black belt katas. Kumite techniques mirror these stances and movements at a basic level, but are less structured, with a focus instead on speed and efficiency.'

So anyway Ive been looking at some videos and most of it looks more jujitsu/judo than Aikido. Any examples of specific techniques?

Jujinage is a pretty natural bunki for mawashi uke type movements.

Some karate styles have a
Nikkyo/nikkajo type of wrist lock.

Armbars and stuff.

Techniques in aikido aren’t necessarily that unique. The style and application of training sets it apart, though even within Aikido the style of training varies.

I? originally started aikido to help with my bunkai for GoJu kata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk