PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense decision (again ... grab the sticks Ill get the horse)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gropette
8/30/2017 8:05am,
Hi folks,

which of the following art would you take(one) to compliment boxing:

-Krav Maga(ikmf)
-Arnis
-BJJ

I would personally go with Arnis because of the knife and stick work and because the dirty boxing will be a good combo with the boxing . They also have some basic ground work. Then there is the Krav maga. I really like the self defense aspect and training methodology but I'm not too sure about the quality of their techniques(sloppy?).

Finally, the BJJ class sound interesting, but I personally think spending too much time training ground work is probably an overkill for self defense. I also have a bad knee and I think BJJ would be too hard on my knee.

So, is the above thinking make sens or I missed something?

Thanks

BackFistMonkey
8/30/2017 8:10am,
Wrong Forum
Basic Tech-------------->YMAS

Welcome to Bullshido and have a golly gee wonderful day!

Gropette
8/30/2017 9:05am,
Ho, sorry. Thanks!

Chili Pepper
8/30/2017 9:36am,
I would personally go with Arnis because of the knife and stick work and because the dirty boxing will be a good combo with the boxing . They also have some basic ground work. Then there is the Krav maga. I really like the self defense aspect and training methodology but I'm not too sure about the quality of their techniques(sloppy?).

Arnis tends to go well with boxing - depending on the particular arnis school, there's a lot of crossover in terms of stance, movement and body mechanics. Also depending on where you go, there may or may not be the dirty boxing and grappling aspects.

Krav ... quality varies widely, and for the most part it's an add-on for a school with a "martial fitness class" feel to it. Good for the workout, I guess, but most likely you're already getting a better workout in boxing.

Finally, the BJJ class sound interesting, but I personally think spending too much time training ground work is probably an overkill for self defense. I also have a bad knee and I think BJJ would be too hard on my knee.

Groundwork is an essential component of self-defence. From the clinch, it's the grappler who decides whether it will go to the ground or not, and once it's on the ground, it's the grappler who decides what will happen next.

I'm not a BJJ'er, so can't comment on the knee issue.

Also, welcome to Bullshido.

Southpaw
8/30/2017 9:41am,
Hi folks,

-Krav Maga(ikmf)
-Arnis
-BJJ

Thanks

Welcome to Bullshido.

I'd recommend BJJ. A good BJJ school isn't going to be ONLY ground work. Regarding your knee, I'm 44 years old and have two bad knees, two bad shoulders, and two bad elbows. You'll get by fine in BJJ, you will just need to adjust a bit.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to focus on knife and stick work for self defense (as a primary method anyway)...at least in the US. I've trained both, and carried a knife for 20+ years, and can tell you that the 'use of force continuum' that is relevant for knife/stick defense if very small. If someone pulls a knife on me at this point and I can't get away form the attack, I'm shooting them, not knife fighting them. Mostly the same with a stick or other blunt weapon (like a bat).

Raycetpfl
8/30/2017 10:07am,
Hi folks,

-Krav Maga(ikmf)
-Arnis
-BJJ

Thanks

People die when you stab them..... in a kinda slow fashion. If you think arnis is super cool go for it. Unless you live in California or one of the no gun states you can pretty much use a gun anywhere you can use a knife. So there that.

Krav and RBSD are fucking garbage.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and it's family of related arts( sambo,judo,luta livre)are the only ones that will give you the ability to gently control someone or take their life away. If someone says they are training for self defense and doesn't train in one of those arts I believe they are doing themselves a great disservice.

BKR
8/30/2017 10:28am,
People die when you stab them..... in a kinda slow fashion. If you think arnis is super cool go for it. Unless you live in California or one of the no gun states you can pretty much use a gun anywhere you can use a knife. So there that.

Krav and RBSD are fucking garbage.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and it's family of related arts( sambo,judo,luta livre)are the only ones that will give you the ability to gently control someone or take their life away. If someone says they are training for self defense and doesn't train in one of those arts I believe they are doing themselves a great disservice.

But but but...the bruises !

To be more serious, some sort of work with striking will have to be involved, or at least defenses to striking (like grappling defense, learn to punch, right? ).

DCS
8/30/2017 10:48am,
To be more serious, some sort of work with striking will have to be involved, or at least defenses to striking (like grappling defense, learn to punch, right? ).

Florida man wrote Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Gropette
8/30/2017 11:31am,
"Unfortunately" I live and Canada so carrying a gun is not an option.

BKR
8/30/2017 11:37am,
Florida man wrote Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, not Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Yeah, that makes a a difference, Mr. Smartysemantics pants...

BKR
8/30/2017 11:38am,

You might want to check on the laws about carrying knives as well. Going all stabby on a buy who wants to fist-fight is not always the best idea.

baby_cart
8/30/2017 11:54am,
Hi folks,

-Krav Maga(ikmf)
-Arnis
-BJJ

Thanks

most forms of effective grappling (the ones that compete) can be hard on the knees, even bjj. it's in their nature.

speaking as a full-blooded filipino here, be careful of arnis: many will instill useless **** into your brain. see if they spar and compete. do they uses shock knives? full-contact blows? only when there is a consequence do bullshit gets weeded out.

drop krav. there are no consquences in training, only when you use it for real will you suffer the consequences, not your teachers, and the consquences may be fatal.

stick to bjj. best is to make your ground game into getting and maintaining top control, if not get up from the floor pronto. don't linger in the bottom. best method i know of to integrate bjj into self-defense.

Raycetpfl
8/30/2017 12:04pm,

That also means nobody else is either for the most part correct? That makes empty-hand combat even more viable. I would defer back to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

Michael Tzadok
8/30/2017 12:11pm,

Most actual situations in which you would be able to justifiably deploy a knife, will happen too fast for your to actually deploy the knife before you are fully engaged(generally the same can be said about firearms). Grappling is a really good base for self defense. It will also allow you to control the fight and open space to be able to deploy whatever weapon you may be able to legally deploy.

BackFistMonkey
8/30/2017 12:23pm,
Most actual situations in which you would be able to justifiably deploy a knife, will happen too fast for your to actually deploy the knife before you are fully engaged(generally the same can be said about firearms). Grappling is a really good base for self defense. It will also allow you to control the fight and open space to be able to deploy whatever weapon you may be able to legally deploy.

It also makes choking out or restraining a violent dipshit until help arrives much easier and looks better to a judge if you didn't smash their face in or attempt amature surgery with a pocket knife.

also Judo is cheap, widely available, and has a history of ass kicking.

Gropette
8/30/2017 12:26pm,
I have a brown belt in judo so I'm not totally "ignorant" in term of gabbling. I stopped my judo training 15 years ago( i'm now 38) because of my knees.