PDA

View Full Version : Review on combat shuai chiao dvd's?

Vasquinho
8/26/2017 4:04pm,
Hello,

Has anyone purchased the dvd's from combat shuai chiao homepage and if so, what do you think of the content?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Vasquinho

ermghoti
8/26/2017 6:11pm,
This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYULe970HQw

Trash. If you see somebody telling you to respond to a punch by catching it, they don't know what the hell they are talking about. Run, don't walk, as far away as you can.

Vasquinho
8/27/2017 5:10am,
ermghoti, thanks for your reply. I am wanting to find a good grappling art to combine with my muay thai. Maybe I should just do Sanda or combine with judo?

ermghoti
8/27/2017 5:47am,
Sanda and muay Thai have a lot of overlap, I wouldn't think you'd be adding much more than some kick catches and some throws. Judo would be the better option if you prefer stand-up, BJJ if you'd like to hone your groundwork.

More importantly, it's virtually impossible to learn any martial art from videos, you'll need instruction and training partners, arguably moreso with grappling or throwing than with striking.

kimjonghng
8/27/2017 5:48am,
ermghoti, thanks for your reply. I am wanting to find a good grappling art to combine with my muay thai. Maybe I should just do Sanda or combine with judo?

Ive dabble in Shuai Jiao (Boading line) and frankly you'd have an easier time finding Judo. Shuai Jiao is very much the same thing minus ground fighting. I know theres some Shuai schools who use striking and traditional stuff but the bulk of competition is grappling and you'll have your striking from Muay Thai so yeah you'll be fine.

ermghoti
8/27/2017 5:53am,
Yeah, I was about to go look, but I saw some competition videos that features decent throws. The "combat" stuff all seems to be polluted with demos comprised of the typical attacker that freezes and receives a dozen low percentage techniques and then dies.

kimjonghng
8/27/2017 5:56am,
Yeah, I was about to go look, but I saw some competition videos that features decent throws. The "combat" stuff all seems to be polluted with demos comprised of the typical attacker that freezes and receives a dozen low percentage techniques and then dies.

Dim Mak confirmed?

Vasquinho
8/28/2017 3:24pm,
Thanks for the reply. Why my interest with shuai jiao is because I get the feeling that they stand more than judo? Every time I watch a judo video they are both falling to the ground.

AcerTempest
8/28/2017 4:39pm,
Thanks for the reply. Why my interest with shuai jiao is because I get the feeling that they stand more than judo? Every time I watch a judo video they are both falling to the ground.

That's because it is REALLY difficult to throw an intelligently resisting opponent who does not want to be thrown AND remain standing if they are anywhere near as good as you.
The trick is not to stay standing, the trick is to go to the ground in the fashion that you choose and end in the position that you choose. And even that doesn't work out that way sometimes.

Raycetpfl
8/28/2017 4:42pm,

If Judo were easy they would call it kung-fu.

BKR
8/28/2017 4:51pm,

I'm not sure you realize what you just wrote there...

AcerTempest
8/28/2017 4:54pm,

And also if it didn't work more than it did...

Raycetpfl
8/28/2017 5:52pm,
I'm not sure you realize what you just wrote there...

I was being funny-ish..... and advising judo over kung-fu wrestling.

BKR
8/28/2017 5:54pm,
I was being funny-ish..... and advising judo over kung-fu wrestling.

You might want to look up the definition of kung fu.

kimjonghng
8/29/2017 5:33am,

How do they stand more than Judo? Judo is stand up grappling.

In Shuai Jiao the ruleset is that if they are thrown, they lose, in Judo, while this can be true with ippons, they dont work on the same assumption that this means a fight is over, and go for a submission. I'd personally not want to be a grappler who cant submit a guy if I needed to, so I would personally take Judo or BJJ over it, and maybe use some Shuai Jiao to inform my Judo for Ippon training.

The striking is looking a little sub par and punch catching is silly. Theres also the point that Judo is often more widely available and the frequent competitions means you will learn to apply it against a resisting opponent.

kimjonghng
8/29/2017 5:34am,
You might want to look up the definition of kung fu.

the real question is, if kung fu guys suck at fighting, are they really using real kung fu?