PDA

View Full Version : New to BJJ. Looking for advice on breathing

Pages : [1] 2

Lee909
8/22/2017 4:16pm,
So new to grappling and only a few months stand up too. Really enjoying the three classes ive been too. Both gi and no gi. What im struggling with as much as anything is breathing,especially when i have some else weight across my chest.
Im trying to keep calm,not be overly active all the time. Part of the issue is me panicking when i cant catch a breath. Its a long story but i nearly died of pancreatitus a couple of years back and spent 7 months in hospital. Including induced coma,kidney dialysis,learning to move again. And when im on my back and cant catch my breath it partly takes me back to then as i had that issue while on a breathing machine. I know ill get used to the weight and my mind will be ok and stop panicking overtime.

But just looking for exercises/tips on breathing diring training. Im overweight but working on getting that down so that will help too.

Nutcracker, sweet
8/22/2017 4:18pm,
So new to grappling and only a few months stand up too. Really enjoying the three classes ive been too. Both gi and no gi. What im struggling with as much as anything is breathing,especially when i have some else weight across my chest.
Im trying to keep calm,not be overly active all the time. Part of the issue is me panicking when i cant catch a breath. Its a long story but i nearly died of pancreatitus a couple of years back and spent 7 months in hospital. Including induced coma,kidney dialysis,learning to move again. And when im on my back and cant catch my breath it partly takes me back to then as i had that issue while on a breathing machine. I know ill get used to the weight and my mind will be ok and stop panicking overtime.

But just looking for exercises/tips on breathing diring training. Im overweight but working on getting that down so that will help too.

Welcome to Bullshido!

For starters, try not to get flat on your back. Then, work in some light to moderate cardio on your off days (a brisk jog, perhaps).

BKR
8/22/2017 4:32pm,

First you have to be aware of your breathing, and how to control it. Which can be hard when a dude is squeezing the **** out of you. Unless you are into that sort of thing, LOL!

You might want to try some simple breathing exercises on your own time. The Internet is your friend. You could start with learning how to breath correctly (diaphragmatic breathing).

Then, you could have a training partner put pressure on you, and pay attention to your feelings and breathing, and practice breathing in that situation. Combine that with as Submessenger put it, not laying flat on your back, and you should gradually get better.

Of course, lose weight and work on your cardio as well, that will help a lot too.

And, as my BJJ coach says, learn to "get on top and stay on top"...

Raycetpfl
8/22/2017 6:00pm,

Since you say it's in your head I recommend fixing it there as well. If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight." If it becomes painful or dangerous stop but keep showing up for class and you will get better.

Jiu-Jitsu is not about who is best. It's about who's left. In 10 years almost every white belt that is training now will have quit training bjj all together. The ones that dont will likely be black belts.

Lee909
8/24/2017 10:08am,
Thanks for the replies
I looking for breathing exercises now and sorting a weights,cardio program for non grappling days.
Think i did pull something as its day 2 after now and my chest(sternum) giving me a bit of a issue. Just stretching out and going on the bike for a couple of days making sure it and my knee are fin before going back on Monday as work means i cannot make saturday.

Really enjoying it non the less

DCS
8/24/2017 10:16am,
Go swimming.

Lee909
8/24/2017 10:35am,
Have not been for years.
Probably be more sinking these days,seriously though as cardio or recovery?
Ill have to look at the timetables as i work 6-6 7 days on the spin so need to see if there is somewhere i can go

DCS
8/24/2017 10:40am,
Have not been for years.
Probably be more sinking these days,seriously though as cardio or recovery?

For breath control/coordination with movement and as low impact cardio.

SneakyGoblin
9/20/2017 9:23pm,
Wanted to bump this and check in with Lee. How are you doing?

Southpaw
9/22/2017 8:00am,
Jiu-Jitsu is not about who is best. It's about who's left. In 10 years almost every white belt that is training now will have quit training bjj all together. The ones that dont will likely be black belts.

Well I get to start the day with my feelings hurt...11 year purple belt here. :)

SneakyGoblin
9/22/2017 11:48am,
Well I get to start the day with my feelings hurt...11 year purple belt here. :)

But it's QUALITY purple. Aged to perfection...

DCS
9/22/2017 4:35pm,

My first BJJ class was in January 2005... I win.

SneakyGoblin
9/22/2017 10:52pm,
My first BJJ class was in January 2005... I win.

Braggart.

Any significant time off since then, or has it been constant?

DCS
9/24/2017 3:37pm,
Braggart.

Any significant time off since then, or has it been constant?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92085

Judo until mid 2012 and back to BJJ in March-April (not sure ATM) 2015

Raycetpfl
9/25/2017 1:16am,

The wing chun is holding you back.

Mind_Wave
9/29/2017 5:49am,
Top 10 Tips:

1. Relax your body: When you tense up you are sending the wrong message to your training partner (“I’m going to go hard”) and you are more likely to be injured by using too much strength.

2. Tap early, tap often: Tapping out is the ultimate learning tool.

3. Nothing matters more than mat time: You have to be on the mat learning and practicing. The best advice I ever got was “just keep showing up”. That was nearly 8 years ago.

4. Always be ready to learn: Take nothing for granted. Pay attention to what is being taught. If you do not engage your brain, you will fail to make the mind/body connection needed to succeed.

5. It’s a marathon, not a sprint: Becoming proficient at BJJ requires years of training. Ignore the natural drive to achieve quick results.

6. There are days when you will not want to show up and those are the most important days to show up: You will be smashed and not want to come back. Just come back. Trust me.

7. Try to learn one thing each week as a white belt. Literally one thing per week: If you don’t start that way you will quickly become overwhelmed (unless you have prior training in ground-based fighting).

8. Find a higher belt (purple or higher) that will “adopt” you: You are much more likely to stick with BJJ (and learn faster) if you have someone to help you with the mental, physical, and technical aspects. The mental toll can be huge and it helps to have someone to talk to.

9. Ignore the belt system as a sign of progress: The belt system is inherently flawed. Belt promotions are complex decisions that involve skill level, mat time, competition performance, dedication to the art, teaching ability, and dozens of other variables. All you should worry about is getting on the mat as much as possible.

10. Take a shower immediately after training in order to prevent staph/skin infections: When you are sick, you cannot train, which means you cannot learn. Wash yourself and your gi after each training session.

You’ve picked a wonderful art. I hope it brings you as much joy as it has brought me!