PDA

View Full Version : Support foot pivot for muay thai?

Bmullet00
8/21/2017 4:37pm,
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to this and my flexibility isn't the best, so when I throw my roundhouse if I don't pivot my support foot a full 180 degrees I get a really sharp pain in my hips? Is that much rotation bad form? Will that take away any power or give me any sort of disadvantages in comparison to people who don't pivot as far? Thanks guys.

Nutcracker, sweet
8/21/2017 4:46pm,
Hello, Bmullet00. Welcome to Bullshido! I've moved this to the basic forum, as I believe this is better suited for your question.

(edit) For pain, you should definitely speak with a sports medicine doc that has expertise with martial arts.

kimjonghng
8/27/2017 7:19am,
Hi Bmullet00,

I was in a similar situation, I must ask, what do you do for work? I work as a receptionist and centre worker for a local fitness centre and when Im not there I work freelance as an animator, so naturally I sit for extended periods of time and it has effected me similarly.

I found a program of stretching regularly, hot baths to soften the tissue and regularly (and gently) edging out the stretches, much like how yin yoga trains. A lot of these sorts of pains can be lifestyle related, so I would recommend seeing a medical proffesional to get a better insight.

I would recommend looking at this guys power yoga channel on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvCwGWW0od-BCfRtU2euaLg

That has helped me immensely, I've gone from struggling to kick above the midsection to easily getting higher and with better balance and control from the reduced tightness.

Permalost
8/27/2017 12:58pm,
IMO pivoting the support foot all the way is the better way to roundhouse kick, and people who only pivot a little are not getting the most power from their hips.

kimjonghng
8/28/2017 10:52am,
IMO pivoting the support foot all the way is the better way to roundhouse kick, and people who only pivot a little are not getting the most power from their hips.

we were always taught in kickboxing to go 180 on the pivot

Permalost
8/28/2017 3:57pm,
When people do the 90 degree pivot, they generally do the tkd/savate knee-snap for power generation, not a good hip pivot.