PDA

View Full Version : Jabbing jabs

Pages : [1] 2

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 10:19am,
This is retarded. I realize that. But somewhere along the way in sparring I've developed this habit no matter how many times I get hit in the face. How do I not do this?

AcerTempest
8/10/2017 10:40am,
Paging BFM to the courtesy phone. I actually am not able to form a picture of what you are doing based on the words you are using, so I have no idea what to tell you, other than don't get hit in the face.

That being said, we have many strikey striker types here who should be able to clear this up.

I would ask that you give a more complete description of what you are doing if possible though. It may trigger something in either your own mind, or one of ours to better assist you.

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 12:14pm,
Okay. So when I spar, I've been using my jab sometimes to deflect punches. I've been told this is wrong. And I can see how this can be bad (opening me up to counter shots, terrible idea in self defense, not that that's my purpose for all this) it just seems to be instinctual and I don't know how to drill it out of ms.

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 12:15pm,
Me* yeah really sweaty right now, hard to get the right letters to type.

MisterMR
8/10/2017 12:34pm,
Okay. So when I spar, I've been using my jab sometimes to deflect punches. I've been told this is wrong. And I can see how this can be bad (opening me up to counter shots, terrible idea in self defense, not that that's my purpose for all this) it just seems to be instinctual and I don't know how to drill it out of ms.

You mean using your left elbow and forearm to deflect incoming punches?

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 12:50pm,
At times, but also, I mean, trying to parry punches but it ends up literally punching the punch.

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 12:51pm,
This is with 14/oz gloves on, though.

MisterMR
8/10/2017 1:17pm,
I'm not really qualified to give advice on this, since I do a sort of karate with gloves and protective gear, but the only thing I can think of is that you are focusing too much on defence and too few on punching the face of the other guy, so you end up looking at the other guy's gloves.
Try focusing more on punching the other guy and less on not being punched, IMHO.

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 1:31pm,
That makes sense. Tbh I do kind of look at their gloves more than I should. I could just be getting ahead of myself, but I usually am trying to get hit less.

AcerTempest
8/10/2017 2:23pm,
Ok, NOW I know what is going on. Your distance management is wrecked. Your jab should be something that threatens the other guy and puts you in a better position by forcing him to adjust to your distance. Your GUARD should be what deflects the punches.

Now, in the chaos of sparring and fighting this can get somewhat confused, but try this: When you are working the focus mitts, have whoever is holding them for you take a swing at you with the mits on in the middle of the combo you are working. Defend or duck the shot then keep punching. This will get you used to defending WHILE punching so you don't stop throwing to parry.

Also, consider when hitting the heavy bag make sure you are using footwork and your jab to control its distance to you. That will get you used to using the jab as a punch and distance management tool.

Between those 2, it will tighten up your boxing a bit and get you used to using distance, timing, angles and a good guard as your defense. Parrying or blocking punches is a last ditch effort because it usually means you are not in a good position and it doesn't usually put you in a better one. Fights happen too fast with fists for dual-tempo block and counter defenses. The other guy could be throwing punches in bunches and you gotta be ready for that.

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 7:35pm,
Thank you. I'll be returning to the gym probably Saturday and I'll see if I can get them to do that. Sorry about the bad English, I had just gotten out of bjj and I was the lowest ranking guy there, so everybody wanted to teach me something. Which isn't bad but very tiring.

Myn
8/10/2017 8:49pm,
At times, but also, I mean, trying to parry punches but it ends up literally punching the punch.

As a MT stylist you should be familiar with deflecting or "swatting down" punches with the opposite arm, correct? Is this what you are intending to do here, or something different?

V/R

Myn

jimmymuaythai
8/10/2017 10:35pm,
Yes it is. But sometimes I try doing it with the wrong hand and "jabbing the jab" if you get what I'm trying to say.

Christmas Spirit
8/10/2017 10:54pm,
You will see this referred to as "intercepting fist" in some styles. Not the best strategy but if you can jam up their punches or damage the striking fist it could pay off for ya. But seeing as you are saying you are taking shots while doing and attempting it, you are doing it "wrong".

Myn
8/10/2017 11:23pm,
You will see this referred to as "intercepting fist" in some styles. Not the best strategy but if you can jam up their punches or damage the striking fist it could pay off for ya. But seeing as you are saying you are taking shots while doing and attempting it, you are doing it "wrong".

I think that what he's describing is a muay thai technique in which you use the opposite side hand to "strike" down their hand for the purposes of opening the guard/setting up a counter/neutralizing the strike. It is not intended to hit fist on fist but rather to chop the hand out of the way at a diagonal to the wrist or side of the hand. Is this similar to what you are suggesting?

Christmas Spirit
8/10/2017 11:25pm,
I think that what he's describing is a muay thai technique in which you use the opposite side hand to "strike" down their hand for the purposes of opening the guard/setting up a counter/neutralizing the strike. It is not intended to hit fist on fist but rather to chop the hand out of the way at a diagonal to the wrist or side of the hand. Is this similar to what you are suggesting?

Nope. Some CMA ( Chinese Martial Arts ... and even some FMA((PMA)) and JMA ) really do try to teach you to strike the incoming fist or weapon holding hand (defanging the snake).
What you are describing is a parry, block or deflection.