PDA

View Full Version : Newaza training resources question

Kravbizarre
8/09/2017 7:00pm,
Does anyone know of any books that have a focus on judo newaza? Im looking to expand my knowledge and want to see the judo way of doing stuff compared to the bjj way. For example i recently saw old black and white footage of japanese judoka demonstrating some ground techniques. One of them was a pass that was double under arm. I tried the way he did it and found it worked alot better for me.

Basically all he did was instead of being on his knees he sat down on his butt as he turned both legs to the side clearing his head under one of the legs as he got into side control. Im guessing doing this pass whilst on your knees is harder because your posture is higher . Also from rolling with some judo guys they pull out some awesome armbars from strange (to me anyway) positions.

BKR
8/09/2017 7:05pm,
Does anyone know of any books that have a focus on judo newaza? Im looking to expand my knowledge and want to see the judo way of doing stuff compared to the bjj way. For example i recently saw old black and white footage of japanese judoka demonstrating some ground techniques. One of them was a pass that was double under arm. I tried the way he did it and found it worked alot better for me.

Basically all he did was instead of being on his knees he sat down on his butt as he turned both legs to the side clearing his head under one of the legs as he got into side control. Im guessing doing this pass whilst on your knees is harder because your posture is higher . Also from rolling with some judo guys they pull out some awesome armbars from strange (to me anyway) positions.

Anything by Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki would be a great place to start. He has tons of instructional videos out there.

Ming Loyalist
8/09/2017 7:10pm,
Koji Komuro is pretty great at newaza and has a ton of instructional materials (books and videos) he's also a very clear instructor

https://www.budovideos.com/products/judo-newaza-of-koji-komuro-komlock-e-book

BKR
8/09/2017 7:10pm,
Koji Komuro is pretty great at newaza and has a ton of instructional materials (books and videos) he's also a very clear instructor

https://www.budovideos.com/products/judo-newaza-of-koji-komuro-komlock-e-book

Yeah, and he has a wicked Uchi Mata too, LOL !