PDA

View Full Version : What are your tips when sparing ?

Pages : [1] 2

Pineapple Defic
7/30/2017 3:27pm,
I'm writing an article called 'The Top 100 Sparring Tip's Checklist' but I can't think of a 100 things haha xD so would anyone like to give me a tip so I can add it to the article you can leave your name, nickname facebook link or link to your site anything you like that I can give you credit with in the article, If i've not already written it il add it :D (you can leave it as anonymous if you don't want credit) doesn't have to be a complex tip even a simple tip like keep eye contact with your opponent is good and thanks for all of you that help :D

Permalost
7/30/2017 5:26pm,
What's your background? A TKD guy and a boxer will have very different ideas about sparring. Your example "keep eye contact", for example, is not universally recommended. I don't strive for eye contact in sparring, I focus on what the shoulders and hips are doing.

Who are you writing this article for? Will you be paid? If so, why should we work for free for you? Why have an arbitrary high number like 100? I think that's a recipe for repetition, paraphrasing and padding.

BigJim520
7/30/2017 5:55pm,
Never stop throwing jabs.

battlefields
7/30/2017 6:30pm,
1. Remember to breathe.
2. Attempt to execute the techniques that you have recently been taught.
3. Attempt to perfect the techniques that you already know.
4. Try not to get hit/ submitted.
5. Try to hit/ submit.
6. Don't be a spaz.

SpamN'Cheese
8/02/2017 2:04pm,
Look at the chest and shoulders.

Diesel_tke
8/02/2017 2:34pm,
1. Move

Permalost
8/02/2017 3:48pm,
Just before sparring, quickly go through your 100 point checklist.

Christmas Spirit
8/02/2017 4:26pm,
I'm writing an article called 'The Top 100 Sparring Tip's Checklist' but I can't think of a 100 things haha xD so would anyone like to give me a tip so I can add it to the article you can leave your name, nickname facebook link or link to your site anything you like that I can give you credit with in the article, If i've not already written it il add it :D (you can leave it as anonymous if you don't want credit) doesn't have to be a complex tip even a simple tip like keep eye contact with your opponent is good and thanks for all of you that help :D

100 tips for sparring?

Hmmmm ... how about:
1. actually practicing a Martial Art instead of pretending you do, this way you don't do stupid things like think there are 100 general/generic tips that apply to sparring or that sparring is so generic that a list that large would be in anyway useful.
2. actually sparring under the ruleset you are studying.
3. ask your coach for your sparring tips.
4. spar the way your coach wants you to.

... and finally
5.a. shut the **** up
and
5.b. shower before class.

Please by all means, feel free to quote me on those.

SneakyGoblin
8/03/2017 9:14am,
Avoid the fetal position - it offers little in the way of offensive or defensive options.

Christmas Spirit
8/03/2017 10:19am,
1. Keep your hands cheek height.
2. Keep your hands chin level.
3. Keep your hands shoulder level.
4. Keep your hands waist level.
5. Keep your hands open.
6. Keep your hands loose.
7. Keep your hands tight.
8. Always wear a cup.
9. Wear a mouth guard.
10. Wear 6oz gloves.
11. Wear 10oz gloves.
12. Wear 12oz gloves.
13. Wear 14oz gloves.
14. Wear 16oz gloves.
15. Wear 18oz gloves.
16. Wear 20oz gloves.
17. Don't wear gloves.
18. Don't wear a cup.
19. Don't wear a mouth guard.
20. Wear your gi.
21. Wear shorts.
22. Always throw your jab.
23. Don't jab.

Raycetpfl
8/03/2017 10:33am,
1. Instead of sucking be awesome.
2. Fortune favors the bold.
3. Chicks dig scars.
I have found when I am able to do that in competition or sparring I do quite well.

hungryjoe
8/03/2017 11:44am,
97. Breathe through your nose. Mouth breathers get KTFO.

98. Trim your damn nails.

99. Wash your nasty ass gear and your ass itself. Don't be that guy/gal.

SneakyGoblin
8/03/2017 12:01pm,
100. Throw this list out and go eat a sandwich. You burned a lot of calories overthinking this.

MisterMR
8/03/2017 1:00pm,
47. Keep your back foot at an angle of 42 relative to your lead foot. Exactly. 43 will make you an easy target, 41 will make you unstable.

hungryjoe
8/03/2017 1:04pm,
100. Throw this list out and go eat a sandwich. You burned a lot of calories overthinking this.

OP's from Malta. I played some JJJ during business trips there in the past. Hospitality is first rate.

Other things to do in Malta-

Fish
Swim / scuba
Drink (they're pretty good at this).
Fornicate (Malta has way more than their fair share of beautiful exotic women. They've been overrun so many times throughout history there is a good mix of blood lines).
Go to Church (more than 90% identify as Catholic. Thankfully, a good portion seem to identify only (: )

4 of 5 is good I think. I'd like to see a link if possible to the MMA group.

I think the OP has a copious amount of time to work up a list.

Retribution
8/11/2017 7:04am,
Remember it's a spar. We all know the guy who says "let's have a light spar", then does his best to kill you.