PDA

View Full Version : Karate

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 12:25am,
Which style is more effective? Shotokan or hayashi-ha shito-ryu ?

I'm trying to pick the style that is more useful (I guess)

BKR
7/15/2017 12:32am,
Kyokushin...

Plus effective grappling, BJJ, judo

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 1:00am,
Actually I've looked for Kyokushin style but sadly there's no such dojo in my area. I could only find Okinawan traditional karate (I'm actually OK with that one) shotokan and hayashi-ha shito-ryu in my area. I also found another style (can't remember the name) but the instructor seemed to care more about breaking boards. He gave a huge red flag when he said "I can even get you to be able to break a board even without knowing techniques"to me he was basically telling me "join my Mcdojo and give me your Money)

Bjj is another martial art I'm interested in but I'm trying for karate a to see of I can blend in some of it's techniques with wing tsun techniques.

Christmas Spirit
7/15/2017 2:55am,
Bjj is another martial art I'm interested in but I'm trying for karate a to see of I can blend in some of it's techniques with wing tsun techniques.

Don't. Just don't.

If you want to chun it up then chun it up. Don't go into a new style holding onto your previous training. W*ng Ch*n has some ...."unique" approaches to striking, many of which will run contrary to any style which competes and spars hard.

lant3rn
7/15/2017 4:47am,
Just train Muay Thai and learn the best striking discipline in the world.... (don't throw your ninja stars at me please)

ghost55
7/15/2017 5:35am,
Kyokushin goes by a bunch of names. Seidokan, Enshin, and Ashihara are all high quality off-shoots. Of what you listed, Shotokan is likely the least worst, but if they don't spare much I wouldn't waste your time. Also take all the chun you have and bin it. It's ****.

Ulsteryank
7/15/2017 6:23am,
I honestly don't think those two styles would make as much of a difference as it would having the right school or instructor.

I got my 1st dan in shito-ryu back in my younger years. My sensei had an eclectic background including kickboxing, and for a time offered a Thai boxing and shootwrestling class twice a week back then in the mid 90s before the school linked with a Japanese line and went full on traditional(probably for better business)....point being is we saw other styles in tournaments including Shotokan, but don't know how their schools were run. Some might be more self defence oriented, put more emphasis on kata, or competition heavy with frequent sparring. You'll just have to check them both out.

Ulsteryank
7/15/2017 6:43am,
Also, what do you mean by useful and effective?
Karate sparring is very sport oriented, and there's a few bad habits you'll pick up if you ever want to supplement it with a striking art with more contact.

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 8:31am,
OK then.

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 8:32am,
Lol no ninja stars here dude. I'm open to taking advice and accepting peoples opinion.

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 8:36am,
I've heard and read articles about wing chun not working but I'm looking for something close by but sadly all the bjj, muay Thai, boxing or mma are too far from my location. Wing chun is the closest to me.

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 8:37am,
Thanks for the advise.

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 8:43am,
Also, what do you mean by useful and effective?
Karate sparring is very sport oriented, and there's a few bad habits you'll pick up if you ever want to supplement it with a striking art with more contact.

Honestly I'm just trying to soak up all the knowledge I can get. From what I can tell(based on everything I've read) the popular opinion is that May Thai, boxing, bjj, jusdo or just MMA is the best way to go if one truly wants to learn how to fight for self defense on the streets.

mrtnira
7/15/2017 11:14am,
Martial Arts Fan, maybe the thing about Karate and other methods is less which method of combat training you are in but the quality of the training. Over the years, I've done a lot of looking at combative method across militaries of the 20th century. So much of what is in one school of training to deal with combat problem X (whatever X is) often looks like teaching from another school of training. Please consider freeing yourself from the question of what school, to objectively testing the quality of instruction.

I wish you well on your journey. The time passes quickly. I hope you find wonderful relationships along the way.

ksennin
7/18/2017 3:25pm,
Shito-ryu tends to be too devoted to kata. They stockpile them like HolyMoment accumulates used tissues. The founder was not satisfied to take in all the kata in all other styles, so he also invented a few more of his own. I have trouble even remembering even just the names of all the kata I should know after three decades of doing shito-ryu. Maybe the Hayashi branch is less obsessed, I dunno. If you like karate for exercise and tradition and looking cool and anything else that is not actual fighting, all the Shito-Ryu kata curriculum is ok.

If you want to learn to fight, go elsewhere.