PDA

View Full Version : hayashi ha shito ryu.

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 12:02am,
I've recently found a hayashi ha shito ryu karate dojo and to participate in classes is pretty cheap so I was thinking about joining. however I recently had a conversation with someone who said hayashi ha shito ryu Karate (and Shotokan karate) is a scam because no one practices it in Japan anymore. So my question is obvious: to anyone who has knowledge on karate, can you tell me if the information I've received about karate from that particular individual is correct or is what he said a lie?

BackFistMonkey
7/15/2017 2:50am,
I've recently found a hayashi ha shito ryu karate dojo and to participate in classes is pretty cheap so I was thinking about joining. however I recently had a conversation with someone who said hayashi ha shito ryu Karate (and Shotokan karate) is a scam because no one practices it in Japan anymore. So my question is obvious: to anyone who has knowledge on karate, can you tell me if the information I've received about karate from that particular individual is correct or is what he said a lie?

Whether or not it is practiced in Japan has no relevance to an arts history nor it's training methods and effectiveness ... but I am pretty sure there are some schools over there.

Here in the States "Karate" can mean anything from knock down full contact training to cardio-air-fighting and no touch chi powered knockouts and everything in between. Some Shotokan schools have a good rep while others are ... not so awesome.

Does the school you are looking at have a website? Do they spar? Do they compete? Have you visited the school to get your grubby hands and eyeballs on the scene yourself?

Check it out and let us know what you find.

MartialArtsfan
7/15/2017 8:47am,
Whether or not it is practiced in Japan has no relevance to an arts history nor it's training methods and effectiveness ... but I am pretty sure there are some schools over there.

Here in the States "Karate" can mean anything from knock down full contact training to cardio-air-fighting and no touch chi powered knockouts and everything in between. Some Shotokan schools have a good rep while others are ... not so awesome.

Does the school you are looking at have a website? Do they spar? Do they compete? Have you visited the school to get your grubby hands and eyeballs on the scene yourself?

Check it out and let us know what you find.

I've talked to the instructor. She told me they compete but she doesn't force it on her students if they don't want to compete. And no they don't have a website but just a Facebook page.

ksennin
7/18/2017 3:27pm,
First watch a class or two. See if they have drilling hitting pads with reasonable power. If they spend significant time doing air-punching, go away.