PDA

View Full Version : Side Control Transitions

Corzer
7/01/2017 10:25am,
So I've just started BJJ around 6 months ago, I've only attended no-gi classes so far, my question was, at my gym, when we're rolling, we usually start in side control. (Yes we do occasionally start on our knees, or on each others backs etc.) and i was wondering what transitions i could do from the top position. I usually just slide into a mount, but that becomes predictable, and the other guy will eventually catch on. i just need a handful of transitions i could pull off from here, just as foundations to work off.

(I understand this could possibly be the wrong thread for this, i didn't know whether this fit for the criteria for adv grappling considering i'm a three stripe white belt, so feel free to move this to a separate section).

Ulsteryank
7/01/2017 11:19am,
Especially in no-gi, there are a limited amount of submissions from mount, but it's a dominant position. I like side. I'd work on getting really comfortable at side, making sure you can hold them down. Make them want to tap with shoulder pressure, and even if they know what you're going to do, get your technique so solid that they still can't stop you. Generate enough pressure that they're practically begging you to do your pass into mount...

And of course whatever your instructor is telling you. I try to create enough pressure in other areas that they're more concerned about relieving that, than blocking my pass into mount.

DCS
7/01/2017 12:52pm,
Kesa and KOB are your friends.

ChenPengFi
7/01/2017 2:00pm,
Switching to the other side in addition to the above.

Omega Supreme
7/01/2017 4:04pm,
North south, scarf, reverse scarf, knee on belly, S mount, reverse mount, crucifix, face slide, gift wrap....

jnp
7/16/2017 2:14pm,
You can take the back from side control too, especially if they start to turn away from you.

RynoGreene
7/17/2017 2:58pm,
Tons of choices, but sliding around to north south is a super easy option to allow for various arm attacks. It works great in no gi. Obviously, the list that Omega threw out sets up tons of different stuff. But just getting comfortable transitioning around your opponent and maintaining good topside control with no gaps should be a priority.

omoplatypus
7/17/2017 11:29pm,
I would start learning 3 or 4 techniques to move to mount from side control, and then perfect them. Nothing wrong with being predictably unstoppable.

BKR
7/18/2017 7:08pm,
I would start learning 3 or 4 techniques to move to mount from side control, and then perfect them. Nothing wrong with being predictably unstoppable.

By the way, welcome back !

To avoid ban-hammer, I would add that the OP instructor should be able to give him multiple drills for moving around opponent and maintaining pressure. Be sure to ask!

I've also noticed in my BJJ class that the such movements seem to be always taught in the context of a submission rather than practiced alone, as is more common in Judo.

To me, it would make sense to work on that sort of general mobility, especially for the more nonathletic students.

goodlun
7/18/2017 8:04pm,
Jason Scully's invisible jiu jitsu DVD set is good because one of the things it covers really well is positional transitions.

Gumby
12/03/2017 12:15pm,
Keep working your mount transition- it’s such a powerful tool, especially nowadays considering most people are lacking when it comes to attacking from or even getting to the mount.

Quality over quantity.... you’re doing best thing atm

Gumby
12/03/2017 1:35pm,
Oh yeah- hi guys haven’t been here in a decade...

Omega Supreme
12/03/2017 1:58pm,
Oh yeah- hi guys havenít been here in a decade...Wait a minute. After all this time you're telling me you're still only a purple belt?

Gumby
12/03/2017 2:46pm,
Wait a minute. After all this time you're telling me you're still only a purple belt?

Yeah I’m just a newb. It seems the new thing is for black belts to wear blue belts in protest, or something...

True to bullshido I demoted/promoted myself to outrank helio and the like....