PDA

View Full Version : is the tacfit program any good?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ninja.kitten
6/04/2017 8:59pm,
Hi all,
I'm 40 and just started training in martial arts (Taijutsu). Before the twice a week class there's a kickboxing fitness class (total 4 hours/week training).
I feel like doing a bit more exercises (plus a lot of stretching) at home and somebody at the dojo suggested me the tacfit program.
I look fit, but my flexibility is bad and my right knee hurts (I'm going to address that soon with a physio/kinesiologist)
I did a bit more research and apparently Scott Sonnon is the subject of few threads here.
Despite his persona (apparently BS on his degrees/titles) and the usual marketing hype, do you think it's a good program?
I'm fascinated by the originality of the exercises, the focus on agility and being mixed with yoga.
As you can tell I'm a newbie but genuinely interested in your opinion and suggestions on eventually other programs I can follow by my own at home.

Many thanks!

Raycetpfl
6/04/2017 9:30pm,
Hi all,
I'm 40 and just started training in martial arts (Taijutsu). Before the twice a week class there's a kickboxing fitness class (total 4 hours/week training).
I feel like doing a bit more exercises (plus a lot of stretching) at home and somebody at the dojo suggested me the tacfit program.
I look fit, but my flexibility is bad and my right knee hurts (I'm going to address that soon with a physio/kinesiologist)
I did a bit more research and apparently Scott Sonnon is the subject of few threads here.
Despite his persona (apparently BS on his degrees/titles) and the usual marketing hype, do you think it's a good program?
I'm fascinated by the originality of the exercises, the focus on agility and being mixed with yoga.
As you can tell I'm a newbie but genuinely interested in your opinion and suggestions on eventually other programs I can follow by my own at home.

Many thanks!
Martial-of or appropriate to war; warlike.

Tia Jutsu isn't a martial art. Neither is cardiovascular kickboxing. Your hobby is japanese themed hand waving, not martial arts.

This Scott seems a **** of a lot more legit than some bunk ass American ninja school.

Christmas Spirit
6/04/2017 9:39pm,
Hi all,
Hi!!!!!

I'm 40 and just started training in martial arts (Taijutsu).
Welcome. Many of us here are right there with you in the age department. I am so sorry you got caught up in that nonsense. Why are you doing Taijutsu?

Before the twice a week class there's a kickboxing fitness class (total 4 hours/week training).
Cardio Kickboxing can be a lot of fun if you don't have the discipline to do cardio on you own. You aren't really learning anything. I would normally not mention this but you are doing Ninja stuff and seem to be taking it seriously. Are they pretending you are learning proper kickboxing? This whole situation is weird in a lot of ways and things don't seem right.

Obviously something isn't right. How many Taijutsu classes a week do you take? I am assuming your cardio is every other day for an hour but I'm wrong according to your post. Two hours of solid cardio seems really odd. I don't know many people who can actually go for two hours working cardio so you may not be getting quality instruction. As for Tacfit... I don't know what it is but I am 90% sure it is a fucking joke just like everything else Scott pushes.

Good. We have some awesome posters with excellent creds in the physical therapy department but yeah... **** the internet, get a professional opinion you are paying for. Flexibility is all about consistency and proper instruction.

No, he is a bullshit artist. He should not be rewarded for deceptive and questionable practices.

Here is his Bio (http://www.rmaxinternational.com/om/sonnon-bio.php) linked from the Tacfit website (http://www.tacfitacademy.com/).

Scott has become an inspiration to thousands of people by his incredible story of triumph and his passionate dedication to helping others. As a world-acclaimed public speaker and author, has taken his world-class fighting skills off the mat to the fight against the core issues behind childhood obesity and the accelerated aging. Scott serves as fitness advisor to organizations such as the International Youth Conditioning Association, the National Active Aging Council, the Radiant Recovery® Ranch, the Arnold Schwarzenegger Sports Festival, the National Strength Conditioning Association, and has spoken at esteemed institutions such as Wake Forest, Dickinson, and Western Washington Universities. Despite his learning impairments, he served as Graduate Faculty at Virginia Commonwealth University, became an adjunct instructor for Penn State University and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, taught for the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, at the New York Police Department NYPD Police Academy, and the LOTAR Counter-Terrorism School at the Mitkan Adam IDF base in Israel, and despite his early learning impairments, Scott even earned his membership into Mensa® - the International High IQ Society.
Scott's array of patented equipment - such as the Clubbell® - have become legendary in their unique effectiveness. His Circular Strength Training® and TACFIT® Systems can now be found in 68 countries worldwide and counting, earning Scott a place in the National Fitness Hall of Fame Museum, the International Martial Arts Hall of Fame and the Personal Trainer Hall of Fame. Scott was voted one of “The 6 Most Influential Martial Artists of the 21st Century” by Black Belt Magazine in 2010. As a dyslexic, institutionalized as a child, he became a TED Fellow speaking on the nature of multiple learning styles being misdiagnosed as learning disabilities. Scott Sonnon was named one of the 'Top 25 Fitness Trainers in the World' by Men's Fitness Magazine in 2011. He is a global staff trainer for the 2014 Nike Academy

If you take all that seriously and can't see how full of crap he is, I don't know what to say. The hall of fame awards are Pay to Play. Black Belt Magazine is a joke by anyone who take Martial Arts seriously and I have seen ZERO evidence of any fighting skill on or off the mat as he claims. I personally doubt everything including his "multiple learning disabilities". Did you know he is also legally blind? So you know he "overcame" that too. All that is missing is work with a Church and claims of faith healing.

If you are really that good you don't need that much fluffing. Always beware the hard sell and horn tooters. If you choose to reward him for trying to hard sell you video learning courses go for it. I personally think there are much better options out there.

Originality of agility and yoga? I just dug through most of the website and see nothing unique or original.
Maybe I have to look into this more but it sounds like nonsensical bullshit from a person without actual credentials so they made up something. But that is just my guess based on the context of the thread, the website and my knowledge of Yoga.

As you can tell I'm a newbie but genuinely interested in your opinion and suggestions on eventually other programs I can follow by my own at home
Many thanks!
Why are you doing Ninja stuff? Once that is figured out we can go from there.

goodlun
6/04/2017 9:40pm,
So basically stuff and things and what nots.....
Ok so fitness is based on effort.

If you put forward effort you will see results.
I don't care if its running around the block / lifting weights / doing p90x or what the **** ever.

For cardio stuff HITT & tabata timing seems to be the most efficient use of time. (those are based on doing maximum effort then recovering and maximum effort again over and over and over again.)

You can tell a good workout because you will be out of fucking breath, and doing what ever it take to make yourself get there.
Of course you don't want to OVER do it either but that typically isn't the problem for most people.

Christmas Spirit
6/04/2017 9:44pm,

This Scott seems a **** of a lot more legit than some bunk ass American ninja school.

You serious (http://www.tacfitacademy.com/) ? I hate to disagree but I think they are exactly as silly (http://www.tacfitacademy.com/tactical/) if not the exact same. They are using the same sales pitch and targeting the same Market Segment.... and as you can see by the referral from the Nimpo Taijitsu student, they travel in the same circles

Raycetpfl
6/04/2017 9:57pm,
You serious (http://www.tacfitacademy.com/) ? I hate to disagree but I think they are exactly as silly (http://www.tacfitacademy.com/tactical/) if not the exact same. They are using the same sales pitch and targeting the same Market Segment.... and as you can see by the referral from the Nimpo Taijitsu student, they travel in the same circles

Yea, I just looked at his youtube video. I don't know anything about him. His movements and exercises look completely run of the mill and very much in line with sambo,bjj and wrestling workouts. I didn't see anything dangerous in the video I watched.
I said he is more legit than Tia Jutsu. That's like saying,"This is cooler than having AIDS. " It's a pretty fucking low bar.
From what you posted he seems like a dipshit.

Christmas Spirit
6/04/2017 10:11pm,
Yea, I just looked at his youtube video. I don't know anything about him. His movements and exercises look completely run of the mill and very much in line with sambo,bjj and wrestling workouts. I didn't see anything dangerous in the video I watched.
I actually like some of the stuff he shows. The problem I am seeing is that he is full of crap and pretending he is selling some secret awesome super effective methodologies he has put together when the reality is that he is just grabbed stuff generic and rebranded it.

I said he is more legit than Tia Jutsu. That's like saying,"This is cooler than having AIDS. " It's a pretty fucking low bar.
From what you posted he seems like a dipshit.
Taijutsu has a rich 50-60 year history of selling compliant JuJitsu wearing thin black gi and tabi. Scott has a 17 year history where among his many accomplishment he claims to have perfected and brought weighted club exercises from India and combined Agility Exercises and Yoga to create a workout program designed for MAXIMUM TACTICALNESS while over coming multiple learning disabilities and trying to pretend a TEDx talk is the same as a TedTalk. TEDx is a pay to speak engagement and they will literally let anyone with the money to pay talk up there.

so ... you know ... I am not sure which is more legit in all honesty.

Raycetpfl
6/04/2017 10:24pm,
I actually like some of the stuff he shows. The problem I am seeing is that he is full of crap and pretending he is selling some secret awesome super effective methodologies he has put together when the reality is that he is just grabbed stuff generic and rebranded it.

Taijutsu has a rich 50-60 year history of selling compliant JuJitsu wearing thin black gi and tabi. Scott has a 17 year history where among his many accomplishment he claims to have perfected and brought weighted club exercises from India and combined Agility Exercises and Yoga to create a workout program designed for MAXIMUM TACTICALNESS while over coming multiple learning disabilities and trying to pretend a TEDx talk is the same as a TedTalk. TEDx is a pay to speak engagement and they will literally let anyone with the money to pay talk up there.

so ... you know ... I am not sure which is more legit in all honesty.

If you do the exercises in Scotts video you will get stronger and have good movement techniques.
If you take Tia Jutsu. . . . You will pay money to not learn to fight. They both seem like they are headed by douche nozzles.

Christmas Spirit
6/04/2017 10:52pm,
If you do the exercises in Scotts video you will get stronger and have good movement techniques.
If you take Tia Jutsu. . . . You will pay money to not learn to fight. They both seem like they are headed by douche nozzles.

Touche'.

But you are making assumptions about the Taijutsu she is learning. There are four or five schools around the U.S. that teach really solid JuJitsu under the Taijutsu banner... actually I am not sure what the good ninja schools are called and are up to these days. Plasma or one of the other resident ninjers could come up with that info ... actually there might be a few more than four or five now that I think about it. It might be like 10 or 12 instructors.

goodlun
6/04/2017 11:06pm,
that teach really solid JuJitsu under the Taijutsu banner....

Wait what.....Solid JuJitsu?
Its hard to find that stuff sold under the JuJitsu banner.....

BKR
6/04/2017 11:47pm,
Solid by jitsu (sic) is judo, bjj, sambo...

Raycetpfl
6/04/2017 11:49pm,
Touche'.

But you are making assumptions about the Taijutsu she is learning. There are four or five schools around the U.S. that teach really solid JuJitsu under the Taijutsu banner... actually I am not sure what the good ninja schools are called and are up to these days. Plasma or one of the other resident ninjers could come up with that info ... actually there might be a few more than four or five now that I think about it. It might be like 10 or 12 instructors.

Plasma was smoking ninja-ers after a few months of shitty bjj training. His was one of the schools that actually sparred. It takes a lot of bar lowering to call that good training.

goodlun
6/04/2017 11:58pm,
Solid by jitsu (sic) is judo, bjj, sambo...

I find a certain irony in the fact that most of the solid "Jisu" are off shots of Judo.

ninja.kitten
6/05/2017 12:50am,
Martial-of or appropriate to war; warlike.

I'm in Australia! :)

Why are you doing Taijutsu?

Where I live there's only 2 options:
- www.bukidotaijutsu.com
- www.busseltonmartialarts.com

For the first one, everything about what they do is explained thorogh the major links of the website, for the second one you have to download the timetable, which for the adult class says "A complete fighting art with grappling, joint locks, throws, punches, kicks, open hand impacting, cavity seizing, clinch, limb entanglement, chokes, takedowns and escapes using old Okinawan traditional hand to hand partner drills of Koryu Uchinadi and GoJu Karate Jutsu Koryukan. Emphesizing on real event habitual acts of physical violence training in a safe environment starting slowing and exponentially increasing intensity once learnt".

Somehow when I decided to start martial arts (I really need to improve both my physically and mentally) and could never imagine then punching and kicking could make you feel so much better, plus you learn a lot of techniques. I don't have any martial arts back ground, I didn't know to have took a class in something somewhat "controversial"!

Are they pretending you are learning proper kickboxing? This whole situation is weird in a lot of ways and things don't seem right.
Obviously something isn't right. How many Taijutsu classes a week do you take? I am assuming your cardio is every other day for an hour but I'm wrong according to your post. Two hours of solid cardio seems really odd. I don't know many people who can actually go for two hours working cardio so you may not be getting quality instruction.

They're not teaching kickboxing, it's just a fitness class, which last one hour and it's before the martial art class (another hour). And that's twice a day. Nobody ever used the word ninja and it all looks proper and making sense (but again I just a total newbie in this department). I think that after the blue belt (if I recall correctly) they even do contact sparring.

Why are you doing Taijutsu?Why are you doing Ninja stuff? Once that is figured out we can go from there.[/QUOTE]

Well, I didn't know it was ninja stuff.. they inspired trust and it looked like a legit and proper fighting art. There's even a bit of meditation, that doesn't really hurt my anxiety :)
Jeez, I'm a bit confused now..

Thanks for all the contributes

Christmas Spirit
6/05/2017 12:50am,
Plasma was smoking ninja-ers after a few months of shitty bjj training. His was one of the schools that actually sparred. It takes a lot of bar lowering to call that good training.

You think 10 good ninja schools in the U.S. is too high?

Raycetpfl
6/05/2017 12:52am,
You think 10 good ninja schools in the U.S. is too high?

If it's good is it a ninja school?