PDA

View Full Version : Cost and Benefit of differing leg arrangements when attacking ankle locks

Pages : [1] 2

Tramirezmma
6/01/2017 12:17pm,
I've always used the position where I "reap" with the outside leg, which ends up with my foot in the hip or lower abdomen. I then cover that foot with my inside foot to help prevent my outside getting peeled off by the opponent hand fighting.

During a class in ABQ, I was shown to reap the knee with my outside leg, but to then tuck my inside leg shin under the leg I was attacking. The object being to control the leg I am not attacking with my closest hand, lift, and get both of my feet tucked under the leg I am not attacking as a finishing position. In essence, always finishing the straight ankle or heel hook with one hand while I controlled the free leg with my other hand.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Thoughts on the merits of each finishing position?

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 12:49pm,
When you are leg locking it's best to ask yourself, "What would Dean do?"

http://youtu.be/haBJPddcCvo

The way you are describing is for trying to keep it ibjjf legal. In which case I say it's fine,but there is a counter heel-pull/heel-hook that is present and very easy to hit if heel-hooks are legal.

I don't like leg locks from non-dominant positions. For me I am all about the knee-knots and game over or happen stance where they just happen because they are being handed to me. I wanna set things up that "no can defend" .

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 1:13pm,
http://youtu.be/IRUYk2OR3bM
Here's Dean teaching about the other positions you mention.

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 1:22pm,
For Ibjjf legal like to put the sole of my non-reaping foot in the crotch portion of the thigh of the leg I am attacking. It let's me use my legs to stretch them out for leg locks. Let me see if I can find a video of Dean teaching it.

Tramirezmma
6/01/2017 3:17pm,
For Ibjjf legal like to put the sole of my non-reaping foot in the crotch portion of the thigh of the leg I am attacking. It let's me use my legs to stretch them out for leg locks. Let me see if I can find a video of Dean teaching it.

Aha! Yes, the Game Over position is what I was being shown, except with a huge emphasis on using the hand not securing the leg you are attacking to control the opponent's free leg. I especially liked that heel hook counter in the 2nd video, I felt like something was there while rolling with the instructor in ABQ.

The position he is doing the straight ankle is similar to the position I usually default to, but lazier. Those feet down on the mat would be engaged on his opponent's hip/torso if they were rolling I'm sure. My leg lock stuff is pretty much from the Frank Shamrock playbook. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE5OJJZGBto

What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses of each style? Anyone else not too busy shitposting to chime in?

Omega Supreme
6/01/2017 3:32pm,
I've always used the position where I "reap" with the outside leg, which ends up with my foot in the hip or lower abdomen. I then cover that foot with my inside foot to help prevent my outside getting peeled off by the opponent hand fighting.

During a class in ABQ, I was shown to reap the knee with my outside leg, but to then tuck my inside leg shin under the leg I was attacking. The object being to control the leg I am not attacking with my closest hand, lift, and get both of my feet tucked under the leg I am not attacking as a finishing position. In essence, always finishing the straight ankle or heel hook with one hand while I controlled the free leg with my other hand.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Thoughts on the merits of each finishing position?

Why yes. I know exactly what you're talking about. It's actually a quite dominant way of finishing allowing yourself to transition to other positions if the actions warrant it.

Omega Supreme
6/01/2017 3:38pm,

**** the IBJJF illegal "leg reap" rule. (Had to vent)

Ironically,yesterday, we were working on a figure four legal lockdown that also secures the position without reaping the leg.

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 3:49pm,

Ironically,yesterday, we were working on a figure four legal lockdown that also secures the position without reaping the leg.

Yea, I don't really **** with single leg-X when I am doing ibjjf tournaments. Being non-Brazilian I don't wanna give them a reason to DQ me.

Tramirezmma
6/01/2017 4:04pm,
Yea, I don't really **** with single leg-X when I am doing ibjjf tournaments. Being non-Brazilian I don't wanna give them a reason to DQ me.

I just don't do their tournaments, as the rules are dumb and complicated. I like NAGA No-Gi rules best, Gi tournaments should be just like that, IMO. Or Grappler's Quest rules. EBI rules are interesting and make for entertaining matches as well.

What sorts of things, beside rule set, would make you guys go Game-over vs. the Shamrock style of control?

Omega Supreme
6/01/2017 4:08pm,
I just don't do their tournaments, as the rules are dumb and complicated. I like NAGA No-Gi rules best, Gi tournaments should be just like that, IMO. Or Grappler's Quest rules. EBI rules are interesting and make for entertaining matches as well.

What sorts of things, beside rule set, would make you guys go Game-over vs. the Shamrock style of control?

Shamrocks approach is a more flow scramble approach. Not a big fan although I do practice it. I'm bigger fan of the "Game over" method as it slows the game down and allows for smoother transitions without much risk for injury.

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 4:54pm,

NAGA and grapplers are ibjjf in the gi.

Game over is just that. So you are asking me what would make me pick a position with like a 90% finish rate over a position that scrabbling is possible? If I am not black out drunk I choose game over.

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 5:11pm,

This is my go to style for Ibjjf legal footlocks. I feel like it's the best way to actually be able to maim someone with a straight footlock.

http://youtu.be/92yhKE8w9zc

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 5:15pm,
This is my go to style for Ibjjf legal footlocks. I feel like it's the best way to actually be able to maim someone with a straight footlock.

I do this in non-ibjjf rules as well. The heel-pull/heel-hook counter isn't there because you don't have your foot trapped under their ass/thigh.

Omega Supreme
6/01/2017 5:15pm,

Dean puts a new curve on ankle locks as he is basically a gorilla. I was his partner two years ago at a seminar, I thought he was going to take my foot home.

Not to mention I think he has a memory like a computer.

Raycetpfl
6/01/2017 5:20pm,
Dean puts a new curve on ankle locks as he is basically a gorilla. I was his partner two years ago at a seminar, I thought he was going to take my foot home.

Not to mention I think he has a memory like a computer.

Dean Lister seem like he would be the result if the chimp from planet of the apes also got taught to drink and grapple.

Tramirezmma
6/01/2017 5:54pm,

I love that! And for sure that's not a leg reap under IBJJF rules? I'm always confused as to what the tipping point is in foot position is that makes them call that.