PDA

View Full Version : What's in your first aid kit?

Cassius
5/25/2017 6:53pm,
Most of the stuff in my IFAK was about to expire, so I took the past few weeks to build out a custom first aid kit to take to the range. I decided this could be an interesting topic for The Armory, though it need not be limited to range bag first aid kits. There are plenty of other reasons to own first aid kits, and I would love to hear everyone's opinions on what they keep around the home, in the car, in the bug out bag, in the car, for camping, etc. I'll post my range kit inventory in a few days when I have time to build an itemized list.

So, what's in your first aid kit?

hungryjoe
5/25/2017 7:52pm,
Can give more in depth when I'm on the computer (lazy) but a couple not usually seen-

Superglue
Poison ivy soap packets

Ded Moroz
5/26/2017 9:52pm,
We have a couple of larger kits in the back of the school. Typical grappling related injury stuff, bandages, finger splits, antibacterial cream, gauze, super glue, etc. In addition two of the Judo coaches are EMTs which helps me because I share mat space with them.

Kovacs
5/27/2017 4:20am,
At home we keep a standard first aid kit in the kitchen, most kits you can buy off the shelf should cover everything in the home.

I carry a broken down kit for personal use when mincing about in the wilderness with more of an amphasis on footcare; i.e. Compheed plasters which are fantastic for blisters. In addition hydration sachets and water puri tabs.

For ranges I personally carry 1x CAT torniquet (they have a million names but they're a standard pattern) fitted with one loop for ones handed application.

1 x FFD, basically an Isreiali bandage in design, whatever the most current version is. It's outer package removed to make it slightly quicker to apply.

As for a range kit, same as above but in multiples plus some Celox. Apparently there's some newer powder type clotting systems about but I can't remember what they're called.

A stretcher plus solid comms with the local Emergency services. A 4x4 to get to a road with if you're shooting out in the sticks.

Oh and make a note of everyone's blood type.

ghost55
5/27/2017 5:29am,
TQ, Israeli compression bandage, Quikclot gauze, normal gauze, nitrile gloves, chest seal, and trauma shears.

Kovacs
5/27/2017 6:00am,
TQ, Israeli compression bandage, Quikclot gauze, normal gauze, nitrile gloves, chest seal, and trauma shears.

Good shout. Make sure your Quickclot isn't old military surplus, I don't know the change over dates but the older type would burn the wound. Doesn't sound too bad if the wound is life threatening but if it's a head injury the application could kill the casualty rather than the wound itself.

GrouchyOldMan
5/27/2017 9:33am,
Mostly standard stuff (roll gauze, band-aids, antiseptic wipes, butterfly closures, blah blah blah).

As far as things that maybe others wouldn't think to have...lidocaine burn gel (great for the hot brass that seems to inevitably find its way down the back of your collar), Listerine and Oragel (methyl salicylate is moderately effective at taming the pain of a damaged tooth, and there are few types of pain worse than mouth pain, imo), Benadryl (for a possible allergic reaction), Cepacol throat lozenges, and lidocaine ear drops (this is a prescription item, and I have never seen it sold OTC so it's a bit harder to come by). Vicks Vaporub and packets of regular table salt (mixed together and applied topically to alleviate the obnoxious itching from chiggers and tick bites). Styptic powder, just because.

As a dog trainer, I also have a few items with the canines in consideration. Hydrogen peroxide (induces vomiting) and I generally have two old magazines on hand as well as some string or cord, which can serve as a fairly effective makeshift splint if you would need to immobilize a limb (applies to humans as well as animals).