PDA

View Full Version : Blue belt threats to hurt white belt after roll

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jesse J
5/22/2017 8:45am,
Hello, first post here.

I have been training BJJ gi and no gi and have attended about 30 classes. Rolling just about every class in Canada and Germany.

Today I was training with the gi in a gym in Berlin, did about our cardio, techniques then rolled. This was a smaller class since it was mid day and was mostly white belts besides one blue, two purple and 2instructors and the owner that were black and brown belts.

After rolling three times with other white belts the only blue belt invites me to roll also he is about 15 pounds lighter then me. I accept. We start on our knees and I end up pushing him on his back and get in his guard. Grip fighting and controlling my posture. I keep trying to cut his legs open with my knee. Until I remember the double under pass that I saw on YouTube. Teasing him with a possible triangle.... I get caught in a triangle... who would have thought? He is struggleing to compete it and I'm trying to stand and separate the legs, not brig my arm across also pushing on his throat although that made me vulnerable for an arm bar. While pushing on his throat his legs are lose and I slip my hand under the legs and get my double under pass to side control. As I'm looking for submissions and maintaining position I try a submission that I believe works with graving cross collar, sprawling and having your forearm on his artery. Not too nice I imagine. I was doing it sloppy as I can't even describe the exact position. When it wasn't working I got to mount. Meanwhile I see is supper pissed from being on the bottom, maybe just ego because of the different belts... or maybe the roughness and sloppy neck pressure from me. When in mount I'm trying to do a cross collar choke but do not succeed so I was trying to crank his neck applying a lot of pressure to his face and neck. Then time was up shortly after and he immediately jumped up and walked away, while I'm there with my hand out to shake his hand and say thanks for the roll. After him walking away a couple paces he turns around comes up to me and I go to shake his hand. He then refuses to shake my hand and says if you are trying to hurt I will try and hurt you, then walks away.

So to conclude, he was slightly smaller then me and I higher rank. Am I being a dick by applying neck pressure to advance position and possibley get a submission? Is he just being a *****? Or could it be his ego with the belt difference. When I roll I am doing it to gain experience in BJJ, practise the moves I have learned. And have a fight simulation with rules for safety. I want to learn in my rolls and not try to seriously injure my training partners. But I also want to get the subbmison, and get the pass. I'm not trying to hurt anyone just as I don't want to get seriously hurt. I'm 6 feet 170. Not a big guy at all besides height. I have had huge opponents absolutely crush me and submit me for whole rounds, and when they submit me I slap hands and think alright mother fucker il try and get you this time. Then slap hands at the end and we're all good, even if I got my ass kicked. Any thoughts on this?

DCS
5/22/2017 9:17am,
So you are a neck cranking spaz...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopC0g5UViM

AcerTempest
5/22/2017 10:17am,
Ok, see, the problem is that what you are doing doesn't really "advance your position", so much as it just causes pain to the other guy. Now, a street situation is different, but we must remember in sparring that you should be looking for techniques, not trying to injure your partner.

Poorly applied neck crank/head pressure techniques HURT and CAN injure you, but they usually don't cause a proper submission. Against a more advanced player, you will usually just pisss them off, as you did here.
That being said, he should have figured out that you are a white belt with a couple months training at most and probably should have taken this as an opportunity to explain, but you cannot expect a lot from a pissed off and hurt blue belt.
You say that there were black belt and brown belt instructors there. Discuss what happened with them and have them explain and demonstrate WHY what you were doing is inefficient and likely to cause training injuries.

ghost55
5/22/2017 10:45am,
Well I mean you were rolling like a fucking asshole...

AcerTempest
5/22/2017 10:54am,
Well I mean you were rolling like a fucking asshole...

Sure... be all short and direct with your correct answers and ****...
I see how you are.

ghost55
5/22/2017 10:58am,
Sure... be all short and direct with your correct answers and ****...
I see how you are.

That's all there is to it. Intentionally causing your training partners pain because you can't actually get the technique right is shitty. Either pull it off, or try something else.

AcerTempest
5/22/2017 11:08am,
That's all there is to it. Intentionally causing your training partners pain because you can't actually get the technique right is shitty. Either pull it off, or try something else.

Apparently you did not catch the sarcasm tags around my first reply to you...

Still, I am willing to give the person who states right off the bat that they are a white belt with only a few months of training, the benefit of the doubt as to maybe they don't understand exactly WHY they are wrong, and as such I was attempting to provide a more useful answer than "You were being a dick".
Though, "You were being a dick and pissed off a training partner.", would NOT be an incorrect answer.

ghost55
5/22/2017 11:10am,
Apparently you did not catch the sarcasm tags around my first reply to you...

Still, I am willing to give the person who states right off the bat that they are a white belt with only a few months of training, the benefit of the doubt as to maybe they don't understand exactly WHY they are wrong, and as such I was attempting to provide a more useful answer than "You were being a dick".
Though, "You were being a dick and pissed off a training partner.", would NOT be an incorrect answer.

This guy is just fucking dense though. "you hurt me again I hurt you". Mhm. Oh my god. I'm being threatened by a blue belt! Dude's neck was probably really hurting and he wanted to just go home. The way the entire post is written is just cringey. Zero self-awareness.

AcerTempest
5/22/2017 11:16am,
This guy is just fucking dense though. "you hurt me again I hurt you". Mhm. Oh my god. I'm being threatened by a blue belt! Dude's neck was probably really hurting and he wanted to just go home. The way the entire post is written is just cringey. Zero self-awareness.

Fair enough, but it has been my experience that a lack of self awareness tends to be a hallmark of white belts. In fact, it tends to be, IME the reason for someone to become a career blue belt.

I am hoping to illuminate this person to the point where they are clearly aware of their mistakes and have no excuses, THEN the mockery begins.
You were just skipping a step, which, when well done IS a sign of an advanced player so... bully for you I guess. :D

ghost55
5/22/2017 11:24am,
Fair enough, but it has been my experience that a lack of self awareness tends to be a hallmark of white belts. In fact, it tends to be, IME the reason for someone to become a career blue belt.

I am hoping to illuminate this person to the point where they are clearly aware of their mistakes and have no excuses, THEN the mockery begins.
You were just skipping a step, which, when well done IS a sign of an advanced player so... bully for you I guess. :D

I never got more than one stripe. That being said I also listened when people told me to quit trying to muscle everything around class number five.

Shawarma
5/22/2017 11:58am,
Neck cranks in training are generally a pretty big faux pas, particularly among new practitioners. Firstly, they're fairly crude technique-wise and don't really teach you what you need to be focusing on as a beginner. Secondly, they don't really end fights very well. They cause sprains and strains on ligaments and neck joints but don't put somebody out of the fight the same way a well-applied chokehold would, meaning that they just injure your opponent without really being very efficient winning moves in themselves.

I used to guard slam folks quite a lot when I was just starting out, until it was pointed out to me that this was newbie spazzfaggotry and that it was also extremely rude.

So yeah, you fucked up by neckcranking him. He also fucked up by threatening to fight you. I'd recommend apologising next time you roll, say you weren't aware it was bad form.

ermghoti
5/22/2017 2:42pm,

Yes, also, the blue could have tapped and said "stop being a spaz and doing xxx" then reset in the same position or whatever.

Jesse J
5/22/2017 2:59pm,
In the future I will focus more on proper technique rather then smash my training partner for the tap. Guess my ego got a hold of me trying to tap the blue belt. Thanks for the input guys.

1point2
5/22/2017 3:13pm,
Jesse, I've rolled with you a few times and you weren't a neck-cranking spazz then.

When you say "I'm trying to do a cross collar choke but do not succeed so I was trying to crank his neck applying a lot of pressure to his face and neck."—do you mean you were still going for the choke? Or you were collar choking his cheeks? Or you tried something you saw on Eddie Bravo's channel?

Either way, I expect better from my fellow blue belts.

Shawarma
5/22/2017 3:18pm,
Or you tried something you saw on Eddie Bravo's channel?

I'm not sure if this was intended to be a fully sick burn, but dang, fully sick burn, mate!

Jesse J
5/23/2017 5:23am,
Dave, yes I was still going for the cross collar choke trying to get my fore arms under his face onto his neck. Wasn't trying anything from eddies channel that day ;)