PDA

View Full Version : Screwing up punches with gloves...

CraigShaw
5/16/2017 6:38pm,
Just started Muay Thai - though I do have a little experience in standup striking.

Heavy bags are flipping expensive, so at home I have a stack of 150/55-17 reinforced bike tyres (bolted together and with a wooden pole support running up in the middle).

Anyway, I have no problem punching or kicking this thing full force. (I do have to wrap a thin cloth round my knuckles though or I tear them up.) I can throw jabs, straights and hooks without any misalignment of wrists (well, that's not true. In the very beginning I had to wrap my wrists because I was hitting skew, but that's long since passed).

So no problem lightly wrapped knuckles on tyre stack. Also gone against a heavy bag the same without problems (the bag feels a hell of a lot softer but moves when hit - the tyres don't except for some slight compression).

But when we wear boxing gloves, even going 50% against the bag I almost always end up twisting my wrists (the left more than the right) and spraining them. I really don't get it. Shouldn't my punch alignment be safer in the gloves? Is there something basic that I missed about using gloves? I've tried different sizes, fits and weights but same problem...

BackFistMonkey
5/16/2017 6:41pm,
Just started Muay Thai - though I do have a little experience in standup striking.

Heavy bags are flipping expensive, so at home I have a stack of 150/55-17 reinforced bike tyres (bolted together and with a wooden pole support running up in the middle).

Anyway, I have no problem punching or kicking this thing full force. (I do have to wrap a thin cloth round my knuckles though or I tear them up.) I can throw jabs, straights and hooks without any misalignment of wrists (well, that's not true. In the very beginning I had to wrap my wrists because I was hitting skew, but that's long since passed).

So no problem lightly wrapped knuckles on tyre stack. Also gone against a heavy bag the same without problems (the bag feels a hell of a lot softer but moves when hit - the tyres don't except for some slight compression).

But when we wear boxing gloves, even going 50% against the bag I almost always end up twisting my wrists (the left more than the right) and spraining them. I really don't get it. Shouldn't my punch alignment be safer in the gloves? Is there something basic that I missed about using gloves? I've tried different sizes, fits and weights but same problem...

Ask your coach how to properly wrap your hands.

... and no alignment is even more difficult in boxing gloves.

CraigShaw
5/16/2017 11:14pm,
Ask your coach how to properly wrap your hands.

That! In the beginner's class I've only see one guy wrap his hands (and so far I can figure there's about 8-10) - everyone else just pulls on gloves and trainer has mentioned nothing so I assumed this was the norm.

... and no alignment is even more difficult in boxing gloves.

Then shouldn't I practise without wraps under the gloves to correct my poor form with them on (or I suppose, eventually break my wrists...)

BackFistMonkey
5/16/2017 11:37pm,
Sounds like you need better communication with your coach or a new school.
Maybe both.
I would definitely discuss all these things with your coach or instructor because there is so much strangeness going on which requires specifics and observation of what you are doing, I hesitate to give any other advice. There are thousands of ways to strike "wrong" and many are subtle things you will not be aware of.

I can't tell you any more than that honestly. Maybe someone else can give you some input.

Devil
5/17/2017 9:40am,
If you can hit a heavy bag hard, bare knuckled without injuring yourself, you already have a skill that most martial artists don't have. And it's a skill that is valuable when it's time to punch somebody in the face in an altercation. You'll learn to wrap your hands and you'll become more comfortable in the gloves but don't lose that ability to strike with bare hands.

CraigShaw
6/14/2017 2:40am,
Got over it. Once I got used to how the gloves affected my strikes, no longer get hurt wrists (though do occassionally when a glove "skids" on the swaying bag (still sometimes find it difficult to judge exact distance when wearing gloves).

BackFistMonkey
6/14/2017 4:34am,
Got over it. Once I got used to how the gloves affected my strikes, no longer get hurt wrists (though do occassionally when a glove "skids" on the swaying bag (still sometimes find it difficult to judge exact distance when wearing gloves).

Based on your posts I do not think you are getting proper instruction if any instruction at all.

CraigShaw
6/14/2017 5:47am,
Based on your posts I do not think you are getting proper instruction if any instruction at all.

I have noticed this and it has come up in my thoughts often. Don't really know how to tackle it though as it's the only place I have that I can go to.

It also seems to vary greatly depending on who is actually coaching the lesson (I can only make one day a week because of how far the gym is from me). Mostly the lessons have the instructor showing a technique and then going around the class watching each pairing as we practice the drills. The one instructor TJ is fairly good and will explain things fairly well. And he doesn't just explain how to do a technique, he explains the why as well - stressing that fighting is a thinking man's sport. (For instance, he once corrected my punches explaining to "punch from the shoulders" as this causes the upper arm to act as a guard to the chin.) Problem is so far he mostly does the boxing classes and those are fairly large and he doesn't have time to focus for long on each student.

With the Muay Thai, the classes are smaller and most of the time the instructor we get will take the time to focus on us each individually (and sometimes we will get paired with one of the fighters).

But then there have been other lessons where different instructors give almost zero input. I don't know whether it's because it's the beginner classes and not the technical classes, but with some of the instructors I find that unless I actually bring something up they don't say anything unless they notice something completely off.

That;'s one of the reasons I ask around here a bit. Not ideal, but at least it's something. If I had a gym closer to me with beter instruction I would definitely take it. (I guess my reasoning is at least I'm getting some instruction and am getting to do contact sparring...)

MisterMR
6/14/2017 7:48am,
My understanding is that you have 2 months or so of experience at a bxing gym, am I correct?

If I'm correct, I think that what happens is that your punches aren't perfectly straight and/or you hit the bag with small accuracy. As the surface of the gloves is larger than the surface of the bare hands, when you hit the surface with a wrong angle your wrist twists more (this happened to me too some years ago, the first time I could punch the bag at a boxe course and I tried to punch as fast and strong as I could, and then after the session my wrists really hurted).

Apart of wrappings, these are my 2 cents:

1) focus on accuracy more than on power, expecially since you are used to a still target so you didn't really train accuracy before.

2) be careful not to keep your elbows wide while punching, this tends to turn your straights int half-assed hooks (hooks are cool but not when you are trying to pull out a straight). Elbows should be vertical until almost the end of the punch, that "twists" to an horizontal wrist just at the end of the movement (the wrist and the elbow tend to point in the same direction).

3) since we are at this, be sure that the power of your punches comes from turning your hips and shoulders and not from basculating your trunk forward [EDIT: sorry for my bad english, by "basculating" I meant weaving your trunk back and forth].

4) if you see a problem like this, don't be shy and ask directly your coach, who certainly can hel you more than guys on the internet (and by any means take your coach's suggestions above mine, since I have very small experience in boxe and in addition I can't see what you are doing, while your coach can).

Jatinsingh00
6/21/2017 6:34am,
Your Coach helps you for this.

hungryjoe
6/21/2017 8:16am,
If you can hit a heavy bag hard, bare knuckled without injuring yourself, you already have a skill that most martial artists don't have. And it's a skill that is valuable when it's time to punch somebody in the face in an altercation. You'll learn to wrap your hands and you'll become more comfortable in the gloves but don't lose that ability to strike with bare hands.

^this^

+ Strong hands and wrists help enormously. Maybe some work in that area is warranted.

CraigShaw
6/21/2017 10:41am,
^this^

+ Strong hands and wrists help enormously. Maybe some work in that area is warranted.

We did some bare knuckle last night on the bags for Muay Thai (well the other two guys had MMA gloves, I was bare knuckle). Had no problem with hitting the bag with force.

I also no longer get hurt wrists with the gloves. Seemed to just happen for a litlte under a week.