PDA

View Full Version : considering changing my weight program a bit

kimjonghng
5/14/2017 12:20pm,
Ok so Ive posted about this before but Ive been powerlifting for a while and frankly while I love training the sport, Im starting to think id be best not going for super heavy weights anymore.

Does anyone else lift? Im finding the maximum strength sort of thing isnt doing me any favours and all im finding is Im exhausted in classes for fighting, exhausted in my daytime, Im ripping my hands to pieces with callouses and ulcers which hurts my judo and generally Im getting run down.

Tempted to back it down to 60-80% weight for more reps and volume, since my diet now doesnt support heavy mass gains

scipio
5/15/2017 4:06am,
Ok so Ive posted about this before but Ive been powerlifting for a while and frankly while I love training the sport, Im starting to think id be best not going for super heavy weights anymore.

Does anyone else lift? Im finding the maximum strength sort of thing isnt doing me any favours and all im finding is Im exhausted in classes for fighting, exhausted in my daytime, Im ripping my hands to pieces with callouses and ulcers which hurts my judo and generally Im getting run down.

Tempted to back it down to 60-80% weight for more reps and volume, since my diet now doesnt support heavy mass gains

Ditto

Love lifting but managed to knacker my knees up and it impacted my ability to do other sport (karate/running/cycling) largely as you need the rest once you get to heavier weights

What has killed me is squatting Ė I now only do it a day a week (which is a shame as itís my favourite exercise). Trouble is that now being over 50 with many decades of exercise my knees are too shagged for powerlifting.

Iíve gone onto a 3-5 day split (classic arms day, chest day etc) on 5 days and a combination if I do a 3 day split. Iíve also stopped running for a while as again that seemed to impact my knees and I know just cycle every other day as lower impact. Iím seriously considering ditching weights for a couple of months and just doing body weight.

Kovacs
5/15/2017 5:05am,
It's a tricky one, I lift max every time but I lift to assist other activities so if I'm not clearly making gains or even if I drop due to giving time to other things I don't get too sad.

I say drop to 80% and see how you do. Lifting is great in general, everyone should do it but unless you're training solely for power/oly/ body building etc, dial it back a bit.

BKR
5/15/2017 1:16pm,

Gloves ?

Why don't you try cycling your training ? For example, save the heavier lifting for off-season for Judo or whatever else it is you do, especially if you are watching your diet to keep your weight down.

Gassing out in Judo (cardio and muscle/strength endurance) will **** you quicker in randori or a match than not being at your max single rep for squats.

kimjonghng
5/15/2017 4:08pm,
Gloves ?

Why don't you try cycling your training ? For example, save the heavier lifting for off-season for Judo or whatever else it is you do, especially if you are watching your diet to keep your weight down.

Gassing out in Judo (cardio and muscle/strength endurance) will **** you quicker in randori or a match than not being at your max single rep for squats.

Gloves screw with my grip, cant hold anything for toss when I wear them sadly.

Ive decided I may back my weights down and do higher volume. I traina ll year round in MMA but Ive decided going for big strength gains isnt going to help as much as muscular endurance or developing continuous explosive force. After looking at a number of atheletes in similar situations or boxers as well, I feel how they approach rep/weight ratio may be better for me. I also wont lift on fight training days either.

Mandem
5/16/2017 11:48am,
I'm by no means an expert, but you really don't need to max out all the time to make strength gains. For instance 5/3/1 has you never lifting heavier than about 86% of your 1 rep max, and works for a lot of people better than trying to lift as heavy as possible every session.

WorldChampions
5/19/2017 5:59am,
Well......ok guys
Weight lifting is not a game for everyone......one should raise the weight for lifting step by step..... dont try to lift heavy weight at beginner level....first understand the chemistry then u can do or lift weight as u wish..

BackFistMonkey
5/19/2017 6:09am,
Well......ok guys
Weight lifting is not a game for everyone......one should raise the weight for lifting step by step..... dont try to lift heavy weight at beginner level....first understand the chemistry then u can do or lift weight as u wish..

If you can't be bothered to spell out "you" don't expect people to take you seriously.

rnc357
6/01/2017 5:45am,

I would definitely dial it back if I was you, or at least do a cycle of light/medium/heavy. Honestly if your not competing in powerlifting I would not even get into the heavy 1-3 rep range. I competitive powerlifted in my twenties and kept on lifting heavy 20 years after I stopped competing and regret it. Two torn triceps, blown pec, knee and hamstring injuries. Did some dumb things like continuing to lift heavy when injured. for most people its not if but when you will get injured.

check out some of the injuries this guy has had and continued on.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/ballsy-approach-to-injuries

kimjonghng
6/01/2017 5:53am,
I've ended up dialing the weights back this week and feel a lot better for it. Im not working on heavy 3 reps anymore and Ive incorporated running back into my workouts (we've got a beach that goes on for miles here, so Im using the sand for all its worth. Managed a 7k the otherday) and Im feeling better for it.

BKR
6/01/2017 10:08am,
I've ended up dialing the weights back this week and feel a lot better for it. Im not working on heavy 3 reps anymore and Ive incorporated running back into my workouts (we've got a beach that goes on for miles here, so Im using the sand for all its worth. Managed a 7k the otherday) and Im feeling better for it.

Recovery time is important, as is cycling your training as RNC357 (and I've) pointed out to you in the past. More than once...

kimjonghng
6/01/2017 10:25am,
Recovery time is important, as is cycling your training as RNC357 (and I've) pointed out to you in the past. More than once...

yes I know. I dont work out every day anymore. In fact weekends ended up being long days in work so I get 2 full days to rest up then

RynoGreene
6/05/2017 2:50pm,
I'd watch out for redlining at 95% for every session for sure. I've done 5/3/1, and am currently doing Cal Dietz' full body tri-phasic program. In both of these, you cycle intensity levels pretty specifically.

According to everything I've read, for strength gains, you really should be going above 70%, but don't necessarily need to wreck yourself with 95%+ too much. I used to go heavy as hell consistently, and would always end up getting injured. Now I'm sticking to the program, and have been injury free for the last year.

In addition, as an old **** myself, warm ups have become absolutely critical for both effective workouts, and injury prevention. I like'd both the 5/3/1 and Dietz' warmup. For tri-phasic, it is this:

Range of motion stuff
5 smooth reps at 50%
Easy jumps
3 smooth reps at 65%
Easy jumps
1 test rep at 80% (lets you evaluate how you're doing that day)
Easy jumps

I really like this warmup, and the test rep let's me see how I am really doing that day. Based on how that goes, I can slightly scale the range of volume and intensity within the scope of the program. The jumps just serve to get your nervous system fired up, and help me quite a bit in mental prep.

kimjonghng
6/27/2017 12:56pm,
I'd watch out for redlining at 95% for every session for sure. I've done 5/3/1, and am currently doing Cal Dietz' full body tri-phasic program. In both of these, you cycle intensity levels pretty specifically.

According to everything I've read, for strength gains, you really should be going above 70%, but don't necessarily need to wreck yourself with 95%+ too much. I used to go heavy as hell consistently, and would always end up getting injured. Now I'm sticking to the program, and have been injury free for the last year.

In addition, as an old **** myself, warm ups have become absolutely critical for both effective workouts, and injury prevention. I like'd both the 5/3/1 and Dietz' warmup. For tri-phasic, it is this:

Range of motion stuff
5 smooth reps at 50%
Easy jumps
3 smooth reps at 65%
Easy jumps
1 test rep at 80% (lets you evaluate how you're doing that day)
Easy jumps

I really like this warmup, and the test rep let's me see how I am really doing that day. Based on how that goes, I can slightly scale the range of volume and intensity within the scope of the program. The jumps just serve to get your nervous system fired up, and help me quite a bit in mental prep.

After testing my current 1rpm's and a week off weights, Im on a new program thanks to my coach. 4 days 2 upper 2 lower, with squat, bench, deadlift, second bench. Each with different supplementary exercises and working at a 50% - 60% weight range with increased reps. Im on a new diet, having upped my food content to keep up with the demands for fuel and Im now back training.

Speaking of the martial arts side of things, Im frankly considering putting my Monday MMA/Kudo classes on a bi-weekly rotation with my Judo club. They both know I train but I compete in Judo and think that should be a priority over the MMA/Kudo side of things if that's where Im competiting. Sure theres grappling when we train, but Im going to need to do more Judo going forward.

So its looking like

K-1 monday

Bench Karate/BJJ Tuesday

Judo and Squat Wednesday

Bench Thursday

Deadlift Friday

Saturday and Sunday rest

RynoGreene
7/07/2017 11:40am,
That seems like a pretty good split, and makes sense with your training. I would guess you'll feel pretty wrecked after Judo/Squat Wednesday, but with just bench the following day, it should work pretty well. I'm finding that to hit my core lifts at the prescribed 75-95% (variable) ranges, then some higher volume lower weight supplementary stuff is working well, and is often prescribed by coaches.