PDA

View Full Version : so Im looking at a Shuai Jiao club and wanted some info on the Baoding style

kimjonghng
5/09/2017 4:41am,
Ok so Ive been looking into the differences between the Shuai Jiao styles since theres a club Im looking to join the next town over (20 min drive so not bad). Seen their training drills on facebook and it looks great. One thing I will say is it is Baoding style, and from what I've read that apparently Baoding style incorporates Shaolin Quan into it's curriculum. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of what is incorporated into it but would it be safe to assume it's the self defense/striking component? I couldnt find much in specifics

BKR
5/09/2017 10:33am,
Ok so Ive been looking into the differences between the Shuai Jiao styles since theres a club Im looking to join the next town over (20 min drive so not bad). Seen their training drills on facebook and it looks great. One thing I will say is it is Baoding style, and from what I've read that apparently Baoding style incorporates Shaolin Quan into it's curriculum. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of what is incorporated into it but would it be safe to assume it's the self defense/striking component? I couldnt find much in specifics

I perused a few videos, and it looks like Judo with some striking incorporated. But mostly it looks like judo with short sleeved jackets and leg grabs allowed.

You should go and try it out, you already do Judo so you should fit right in.

kimjonghng
5/09/2017 11:25am,
I perused a few videos, and it looks like Judo with some striking incorporated. But mostly it looks like judo with short sleeved jackets and leg grabs allowed.

You should go and try it out, you already do Judo so you should fit right in.

been talking to the teacher, he doesnt mind cross training (neither does my Judo coach) but seems to be a little pensive about it as sometimes people have come to him and gotten all offended if he points out what theyre doing isnt how Shuai Jiao would approach a situation, so its best to learn 1 system at a time unless coaching is really good at the other place.

Personally I dont share the 1 pure style at a time view, but I will definitely not be going in thinking 'I know this, its in judo.' If its a movement Im familiar with thats a bonus though

BKR
5/09/2017 11:54am,
been talking to the teacher, he doesnt mind cross training (neither does my Judo coach) but seems to be a little pensive about it as sometimes people have come to him and gotten all offended if he points out what theyre doing isnt how Shuai Jiao would approach a situation, so its best to learn 1 system at a time unless coaching is really good at the other place.

Personally I dont share the 1 pure style at a time view, but I will definitely not be going in thinking 'I know this, its in judo.' If its a movement Im familiar with thats a bonus though

Of course, don't be a dick and keep an open mind...

I forget sometimes you are still a novice. I don't mean that pejoratively, either.

Ming Loyalist
5/09/2017 12:23pm,

the SJ guys i know are baoding stylists and they are as legit as SJ comes in the US, but i have no idea about the place you're looking at.

kimjonghng
5/09/2017 3:38pm,
the SJ guys i know are baoding stylists and they are as legit as SJ comes in the US, but i have no idea about the place you're looking at.

Im in the UK so that might be why

kimjonghng
5/09/2017 3:40pm,
Of course, don't be a dick and keep an open mind...

I forget sometimes you are still a novice. I don't mean that pejoratively, either.

No worries :) I honestly dont think i will ever consider myself anything beyond at least 'able to handle myself' I dont fight proffessionally (though I compete occasionally for the sport side of things) and Im only 25 and started my training 10 years ago back in the Booj when I just wanted something to do. Novice is as accurate a description as comes :)

halfcut
5/11/2017 10:12am,
Baoding SJ is usually pretty legit. Be aware however, there are some Baoding groups that have gone the TMA route and do little to no actual wrestling, just esoteric training methods and static throwing. As long as it's not one of those groups it should be fine.

kimjonghng
5/11/2017 5:17pm,
Baoding SJ is usually pretty legit. Be aware however, there are some Baoding groups that have gone the TMA route and do little to no actual wrestling, just esoteric training methods and static throwing. As long as it's not one of those groups it should be fine.

From what I've found, these guys regularly compete so that sounds a plus

Chris Tulloch
9/03/2017 11:09am,
Check out Nelson Michael Cole of Shuai Jiao London he is president of the British Shuai Jiao Union and a former Shuai Jiao bronze medalist in the Chinese internationals in 2008. And national team coach. Website
It also has a register of qualified coaches so around 6th-7th Chieh (step grades start 1-7) or above a couple of steps off black belt or black belt 10th duan (grades above black belt count down from 10).
If I am correct and you have previously mentioned your NE of UK near Preston you might want to check out
Shaun Noteman and his gym in Preston
Warriorgym-Preston
He competes in Shuai Jiao and is on the British team
I haven't got enough post to add the links to the various websites but i'm sure you know how to use google
Hope that's some help.