PDA

View Full Version : Can the Thai Clinch combined with a low stance/sprawl defend against takedowns?

Narimasu773
4/03/2017 2:50am,
I don't know anything at all about jits or wrestling. Just wondering out of mere curiosity if the thai clinch from a lowered stance or combined with a sprawl could be used to defend againt a single or double leg takedown?

ermghoti
4/03/2017 8:45am,
A sprawl is a fundamental response to a single/double leg takedown, but it's best practiced in a grappling art, not as a makeshift add-on to a standup striking art. That's like asking if the collar defense posture utilized in submission wrestling could be modified to defend head strikes. Sure, it could be, but that knowledge on it's own isn't terribly useful. Coming up with theoretical applications for techniques is how we get chun. Do you want chun? Because that's how you get chun.

Tramirezmma
4/03/2017 11:33am,
I don't know anything at all about jits or wrestling. Just wondering out of mere curiosity if the thai clinch from a lowered stance or combined with a sprawl could be used to defend againt a single or double leg takedown?

Yes, as long as you keep your hips away. If you do a full hips to the floor sprawl though, I'd change grips to push the head more effectively.