PDA

View Full Version : Drill Sergeant fitness tracker

ChenPengFi
4/01/2017 5:05pm,
Army officials on Saturday announced it will soon field a personal fitness bracelet that will allow Army leaders to track their Soldiers' fitness in real time.

The technology will enable Army leadership to monitor their Soldiers' activity level, physical location, and intake of foods, liquids, and other substances. It also allows leaders to provide remote mentoring in real time, according to Dr. Duke McDirkington, the lead scientific advisor from the U.S. Army's Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, or USARIEM, and the co-chair of the Army's Physical Training Belt Task Force.

https://www.army.mil/e2/c/images/2017/03/31/472189/size0.jpg

https://www.army.mil/e2/c/images/2017/03/31/472190/size0.jpg

The new bracelet features a two-inch screen that provides visualizations of fitness data and progress reports on a Soldier's specific levels of fitness, sleep, carbohydrates, protein, water, and alcohol.

"The bracelets blend perfectly with our PT belts, increasing safety for our Soldiers and survivability during physical training," said Sgt. Maj. of the Army Daniel A. Dailey, who expressed enthusiasm about the potential of the new technology.

The bracelet collects data through epidermis scanning sensors built into the wristband. Scans automatically synchronize the data to measure the Soldier's fitness profile against the optimal Performance Triad profile established by Army fitness researchers.

Leaders will offer remote video mentoring when a Soldier's fitness profile measures poorly. Should a Soldier's levels indicate they have consumed too much alcohol, for example, the Soldier will have the opportunity to be mentored by his or her first sergeant about the dangers of drinking.

For Army leaders who have been disappointed in the past by Soldiers' seeming indifference to physical fitness discipline, the new fitness bracelet is a promising new tool for shaping the force.

https://www.army.mil/article/185274

Thoughts?
Sounds pretty invasive (redundant for the military, I know) but seems like a great idea to me.

A civilian version would be fun, "Do those fucking pushups! Do them now!!!"

Kravbizarre
4/01/2017 7:02pm,
I agree about the invasiveness, sorta like those bracelets that prisoners wear except it feeds alot of different data.

All these fitness trackers are only good for standard excercises. If you do stuff like wrestling, bjj, judo, boxing, mt ect its **** cos you cant be wearing any jewelry while doing these things.

ChenPengFi
4/01/2017 7:08pm,
That's not really the point but I've heard of people use HRMs while rolling.

itwasntme
4/01/2017 7:36pm,
they'll need more than a wristband to keep the infantry in check.

i wonder what the requirements for wearing these will be since they are for tracking alcohol consumption as well. i agree that the people defending our country should be held to higher standards, but i don't know how practical it will be to enforce this. that said, if you don't like it, don't enlist.

i'm curious why it doesn't seem to keep track of fat intake since it tracks carbs and protein.

and what exactly is "too much alcohol"? this will be interesting, i'm sure.

ChenPengFi
4/01/2017 8:12pm,
I wonder if they can add the clanging garbage can sound.

HarshMallow
4/03/2017 2:34pm,
So, you're in the latrine droppin' smash and Sgt. Hulka appears on your wrist and commands you to give him 20 right now you worthless sonofabitch!!!

What do you do?

ChenPengFi
4/03/2017 2:38pm,
Pinch and drop!

Cake of Doom
4/03/2017 3:33pm,
So, you're in the latrine droppin' smash and Sgt. Hulka appears on your wrist and commands you to give him 20 right now you worthless sonofabitch!!!

What do you do?

I'd press mute and carry on reading Twatter. If there wasn't an imminent BFT or inter-regiment run coming up, I stayed as fit as I needed to be to do my job. As for alcohol intake, I've watched the infantry lads smash 15 pints of Guinness, wake up early doors and still put in a stellar exercise performance the next day. I can see the use for the unmotivated raw recruits and civilians but it'd be more of a punishment kind of thing for a soldier with any time in their unit.

Kovacs
4/03/2017 3:55pm,
It's a waste of money. Whilst PTI's are responsible to guide troops in physical fitness the ultimate responsibility is the individual soldier's.

Usually with units where fitness matters, phys is an important part of life and of personal pride and the lads look after themselves. If they don't meet the standard tests then it's remedial PT and they'll eventually be binned. This has worked for all armies that I know of and still works now.

Also I'd love to see a Sargeant's face at 03:45 on a Sunday morning when his tablet starts bleeping, telling him that seven of his lads have gone over the limit on booze all at once.

I think gadgets like these are good for civvies, like Fitbit and Apple watches but shouldn't be used in any military.

GrouchyOldMan
4/04/2017 8:41am,
I'm curious about the technology itself. Specifically, I wonder what type of raw data it can collect and transmit, and how it collects the data.

As presented here, it doesn't seem to be of exceptional value. Like Kovacs stated, most units, especially ones that rely on high levels of physical fitness, already pretty much police themselves. Depending on exactly what real time data is harvested, like core body temp, oxygenation levels, heart rate and the like, I could see it being put to good use in that it could help a PTI find the perfect level at which to push raw recruits or candidates for specialized schools, as opposed to going off of the old-school method of simply cycling everyone until two people puke, and two people pass out and need to be taken away in the ambulance.

GrouchyOldMan
4/04/2017 8:41am,
I wonder if they can add the clanging garbage can sound.

Ask, and you shall receive...

"The bracelet also allows Soldiers to switch the foghorn sound to a more familiar option, such as "screaming drill sergeant" or "banging on a metal trash can." "

hungryjoe
4/04/2017 9:01am,
Ask, and you shall receive...

"The bracelet also allows Soldiers to switch the foghorn sound to a more familiar option, such as "screaming drill sergeant" or "banging on a metal trash can." "

Ahhhh

Memories

Wounded Ronin
4/04/2017 11:09am,
I don't know too much about the military, but as a civilian I think something like this would be hilarious and awesome to incorporate into a personal fitness program.

This ad was meant to portray something negative whereas in fact I think most people would enjoy having this at the gym:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbCAheBSv4I