PDA

View Full Version : Wear a mouthguard when you drill, roll, or spar

Pages : [1] 2

WFMurphyPhD
3/30/2017 8:46am,
Wear a mouthguard when you drill, roll, or spar.
It's not just the $3,000 full implant replacement of the tooth that gets knocked out.
It's not just having to replace fillings as they get knocked loose.
It's not just ending up with every tooth in your mouth having visible chips.
If you do the sport for any of the time, as in real time, couple decades or a few decades,
all of the microfractures in your teeth end up being cumulative.
Nowadays, modern dentists can crown you up or implant you some new teeth,
but it is expensive, unpleasant, and actually unnecessary.
Get a quality sports mouthguard and wear it while you grapple, or drill, or spar.
And, get dental cleaning a couple times a year with a dental check up.
Horse and fighters, ya gotta keep their teeth and gums in good health.

BKR
3/30/2017 10:53am,
Too late for me, decent advice though.

Mostly not done by judoka, my experience is that they inhibit breathing to some degree (based on complaints from students of mine who wear them or have worn them).

I've heard that they may help prevent concussions, but a cursory search of the interwebz suggests not true.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/2/81

Same paper suggest that the full-on custom jobs are the way to go for truly effective mouthguards.

My boys wear them (it's mandatory, as are cups) when practicing/playing Lacrosse.

DCS
3/30/2017 11:17am,
Absolutely agree.... but I always forget it in the bag and when I remember about it it's too late.

HarshMallow
3/30/2017 7:08pm,
... My boys wear them (it's mandatory, as are cups) when practicing/playing Lacrosse.

Oddly, cups are not mandatory in all cases. Youth, I think so, but high school (I think) and college they are optional -- just when you'd want to wear one the most.

I need to get a copy of the NFHS rulebook for 2017. In 2015 they were optional.

It does stipulate that referees are not responsible for checking.

BKR
3/31/2017 12:28am,
Oddly, cups are not mandatory in all cases. Youth, I think so, but high school (I think) and college they are optional -- just when you'd want to wear one the most.

I need to get a copy of the NFHS rulebook for 2017. In 2015 they were optional.

It does stipulate that referees are not responsible for checking.

Even I would wear a cup if playing lacrosse. And in 37 years of Judo I've never worn a cup.

Or a mouth guard for that matter.

Cake of Doom
3/31/2017 4:21am,
Had my partner elbow me in the mouth whilst going for a choke. Didn't lose any teeth but they hurt and had that odd spongy feeling for about a week; never forgotten my mouth guard since. I tried wearing a cup whilst rolling but I couldn't get on with it so I ditched it.

DCS
3/31/2017 8:28am,
I never wear a cup.

The first time I rolled with a cup wearing dude and felt it I was "what the ****, this guy is having a boner!!!"

NeilG
3/31/2017 9:17am,
My boys wear them (it's mandatory, as are cups) when practicing/playing Lacrosse.After attending a pro lacrosse game here last weekend, I think your boys should wear rubber suits like the Michelin Man. Holy **** that is a rough game.

Devil
3/31/2017 9:53am,
I have been a proponent of mouth guards while grappling for a long time. Basically since I grappled for the first time and I used the thing between my ears to determine that my teeth could get knocked out doing this ****.

It amazes me that so many people don't wear them. How much imagination does it take to envision an inadvertent headbutt to your face as you're grappling?

I see it with kids all the time. My kids are in the small minority of kids who wear them at their gym. I think it's madness. I don't **** around on that issue, either. My kids know they are in for an ass chewing if I see them training with any resistance whatsoever without a mouthpiece.

WFMurphyPhD
3/31/2017 10:02am,
I have been a proponent of mouth guards while grappling for a long time. Basically since I grappled for the first time and I used the thing between my ears to determine that my teeth could get knocked out doing this ****.

It amazes me that so many people don't wear them. How much imagination does it take to envision an inadvertent headbutt to your face as you're grappling?

I see it with kids all the time. My kids are in the small minority of kids who wear them at their gym. I think it's madness. I don't **** around on that issue, either. My kids know they are in for an ass chewing if I see them training with any resistance whatsoever without a mouthpiece.

If you start people off using mouthguards when they begin training, it becomes second nature to them.

Also, there is a small percentage of people *who actually stick their tongue out* to one side of their mouth when they grapple intensely or drill. Making those folks wear a mouth guard is the only way I have found to stop them from doing so.

BKR
3/31/2017 1:19pm,
After attending a pro lacrosse game here last weekend, I think your boys should wear rubber suits like the Michelin Man. Holy **** that is a rough game.

Rules for kids up to high school are more strict about body contact, fortunately. They seem to be really pushing that now in USA Lacrosse, as we got the new rules a few weeks ago with the new guidelines.

We watched a college game on utube two days ago (Syaracuse vs Albany, so not low level). It was not nearly as rough as I thought it would be. But Pros are another level, obviously, especially Box Lacrosse (indoor Lacrosse), which is a apparently a LOT rougher than the outdoor version.

The other cool thing, the lead player for Syracuse coached at a Lacrosse camp here last summer, so we got to watch him play.

Kravbizarre
4/03/2017 10:43pm,
I personally dont wear one have competed at least once without one. I have recieved knees to the face while rolling and my instructor says a mouthguard is cheaper than the dentist.

I know my habit of not wearing one is silly but with what BKR mentioned i feel my breathing is considerably affected.

HarshMallow
4/04/2017 12:52pm,
I personally dont wear one have competed at least once without one. I have recieved knees to the face while rolling and my instructor says a mouthguard is cheaper than the dentist.

I know my habit of not wearing one is silly but with what BKR mentioned i feel my breathing is considerably affected.

I can barely breath out of my nose (I wasn't born a mouth-breather, I became one). I use a Shock Doctor MicroFit. I have no problem breathing with it in. Sisu makes a thicker one meant for combat sports. It also keeps me from biting my tongue while in a guillotine (which I've done twice before wearing a mouthguard).

Now I just need to figure out how to stop getting guillotined.

BKR
4/04/2017 1:28pm,
I can barely breath out of my nose (I wasn't born a mouth-breather, I became one). I use a Shock Doctor MicroFit. I have no problem breathing with it in. Sisu makes a thicker one meant for combat sports. It also keeps me from biting my tongue while in a guillotine (which I've done twice before wearing a mouthguard).

Now I just need to figure out how to stop getting guillotined.

Stop sticking your neck out?

HarshMallow
4/04/2017 2:49pm,
Stop sticking your neck out?

In all seriousness, yes. I often find that I'm leaning too far forward when in someone's guard as well as when I'm passing the guard. I'm a little top heavy as well so, when I'm forward it's easy to pull me off balance.

I guess we all have our demons to slay.

preschol
4/12/2017 3:38pm,
It's not just the $3,000 full implant replacement of the tooth that gets knocked out.
It's not just having to replace fillings as they get knocked loose.
It's not just ending up with every tooth in your mouth having visible chips.
If you do the sport for any of the time, as in real time, couple decades or a few decades,
all of the microfractures in your teeth end up being cumulative.
Nowadays, modern dentists can crown you up or implant you some new teeth,
but it is expensive, unpleasant, and actually unnecessary.
Get a quality sports mouthguard and wear it while you grapple, or drill, or spar.
And, get dental cleaning a couple times a year with a dental check up.
Horse and fighters, ya gotta keep their teeth and gums in good health.

I don't. Even when I am sparring in a striking art. I should but I don't. I just got into a bad habit. I hate wearing gear.

Over the years, I have had a full reconstruction of the left side of my face (compound fractures to my cheekbone and eye socket) I had my lower lip reattached to my face, tons of stitches and staples and micro surgeries. Had my nose broken 2 years ago. Didn't get it reset, cool looking lump there now.

Some of this came from training/competing. Some came from drinking and being a complete idiot (27 years of no drinking today).

My son will wear protective gear, I guarantee that.