PDA

View Full Version : To Ippon or not to Ippon...

Pship Destroyer
2/15/2017 10:19pm,
Wow. I had to watch this video from University of Valle over and over a dozen times.

Help me out with the analysis here. What did that white belt just do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Gl-WFMY5U

NeilG
2/15/2017 10:57pm,
Uranage in judo terms. Probably a wrestler.

Pship Destroyer
2/16/2017 12:35am,
Uranage in judo terms. Probably a wrestler.

I was gonna say....that's not a white belt throw as far as I know. That was some sand bagging **** LOL

Where does uranage usually fall in the ranking systems?

hungryjoe
2/16/2017 8:24am,
Guy's playing lefty. My guess is he has, as Neil posted, some background in wrestling.

NeilG
2/16/2017 8:57am,
Where does uranage usually fall in the ranking systems?Uranage is a brown belt (ikkyu) throw in the Canadian syllabus. Normally it would be a throw I would discourage in randori for lower belts, because similar to tani-otoshi it is an easy counter against tentative forward throws and so is counter-productive when encouraging beginners to throw forward. If you get tossed on your head every time you turn in to throw soon you will stop trying that. Furthermore if I were coaching a wrestler I would encourage him to learn judo rather than rely on existing skills.

Ming Loyalist
2/16/2017 9:48am,
Normally it would be a throw I would discourage in randori for lower belts, because similar to tani-otoshi it is an easy counter against tentative forward throws and so is counter-productive when encouraging beginners to throw forward. If you get tossed on your head every time you turn in to throw soon you will stop trying that. Furthermore if I were coaching a wrestler I would encourage him to learn judo rather than rely on existing skills.

i agree 100% but many coaches are more concerned with getting the W than developing good judo in their students. :(

i feel the same way about focusing on grip fighting below sankyu. other than being effective at getting wins in lower level competitions, it tends to stall one's progress.

BKR
2/16/2017 11:49am,
Wow. I had to watch this video from University of Valle over and over a dozen times.

Help me out with the analysis here. What did that white belt just do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Gl-WFMY5U

You know, in a lot of judo tournament, you have to take off your own belt and put on a white or blue belt (was white and red back int he "old days").

I can't tell if the guy who got tossed had on a black belt, brown belt, blue or green belt. Maybe somebody without trifocals can figure that out.

So, you may have had two guys, neither of whom are white belts, competing.

Dark Belt isn't very good either. He carelessly overextended himself going for the big overhand "powergrip", and white belt countered that with the back counter throw. That isn't the sort of thing a typical whitebelt would be able to do, not only the throw, but to recognize the opportunity and capitialize on it in such a fashion. Either a white belt with decent wrestling experience (although he doesn't go into a wrestling like stance), or not a judo white belt in reality.

So, not really a white belt, bad mistake by dark belt, splat.

NeilG
2/16/2017 11:53am,
I thought he might have been a white belt just by the awkward bows, but maybe that's a local thing wherever they are.

Pship Destroyer
2/16/2017 4:03pm,
You know, in a lot of judo tournament, you have to take off your own belt and put on a white or blue belt (was white and red back int he "old days").

I can't tell if the guy who got tossed had on a black belt, brown belt, blue or green belt. Maybe somebody without trifocals can figure that out.

So, you may have had two guys, neither of whom are white belts, competing.

Dark Belt isn't very good either. He carelessly overextended himself going for the big overhand "powergrip", and white belt countered that with the back counter throw. That isn't the sort of thing a typical whitebelt would be able to do, not only the throw, but to recognize the opportunity and capitialize on it in such a fashion. Either a white belt with decent wrestling experience (although he doesn't go into a wrestling like stance), or not a judo white belt in reality.

So, not really a white belt, bad mistake by dark belt, splat.

From the look of it, he gets the dark belt's weight on his hips, and then drives up out of one of those really low, wide, almost parallel stances. He squares up, pushes off the floor, turns, and wham.

https://s32.postimg.org/nlynqpyo5/Capture.jpg

BKR
2/16/2017 4:05pm,
I thought he might have been a white belt just by the awkward bows, but maybe that's a local thing wherever they are.

They were both doing the odd bow to joseiki(?) thing. I noticed that too. Some people just don't understand the proper reiho.

BKR
2/16/2017 4:06pm,
From the look of it, he gets the dark belt's weight on his hips, and then drives up out of one of those really low, wide, almost parallel stances. He squares up, pushes off the floor, turns, and wham.

https://s32.postimg.org/nlynqpyo5/Capture.jpg

You just described a basic lifting and/or twisting back counter throw, Ura Nage or Dake Wakare.

Pship Destroyer
2/16/2017 4:54pm,
You just described a basic lifting and/or twisting back counter throw, Ura Nage or Dake Wakare.

Yeah that's a far lower, wider stance than any I was ever taught, hence the higher skill level. But that's not a common wrestling stance, correct?

I've seen the wrestling throw and it's definitely not quite the same. I guess it's in the footwork?

BKR
2/16/2017 5:48pm,
Yeah that's a far lower, wider stance than any I was ever taught, hence the higher skill level. But that's not a common wrestling stance, correct?

I've seen the wrestling throw and it's definitely not quite the same. I guess it's in the footwork?

There are a variety of "back-counter throws" available in various types of grappling, with lots of variations on how to do them. Things happen on a case by case basis. What happened in that video is a fairly common circumstance, common enough that I've seen it before in other Judo matches.

Footwork and body placement varies on a case-by-case basis, as does direction of final throw and landing.