PDA

View Full Version : Possible Good News on Firearms Regulations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

BKR
2/06/2017 5:05pm,
he second-highest-ranking official at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has written a proposal to reduce gun regulations, including examining a possible end to the ban on importing assault weapons into the United States.

The 11-page “white paper” by Ronald B. Turk, associate deputy director and chief operating officer of the ATF, calls for removing restrictions on the sale of gun silencers; allowing gun dealers to have more guns used in crimes traced to their stores before the federal government requires additional information from the dealer; and initiating a study on lifting the ban on imported assault weapons.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/senior-atf-official-proposes-loosening-gun-regulations/2017/02/06/beeb1120-ec7c-11e6-9662-6eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.f5c29f1ca939

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/national/read-the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations/2325/

Ming Loyalist
2/06/2017 5:32pm,
i was pleasantly surprised that the article was so fact-based and not full of opinion.

DCS
2/06/2017 5:36pm,
allowing gun dealers to have more guns used in crimes traced to their stores before the federal government requires additional information from the dealer;
What does that mean?

BKR
2/06/2017 5:46pm,
What does that mean?

Did you read the white paper?

DCS
2/06/2017 5:54pm,
Did you read the white paper?
Not yet, but i'll give it a try.

BKR
2/06/2017 7:00pm,
Not yet, but i'll give it a try.

You can just skim to that section.

Basically, a firearms dealer has extra reporting duties if over a certain amount of firearms sold at his store are reported as having been used in crimes. For a large dealer, that could be easy to get to (the limit).

Pship Destroyer
2/06/2017 7:30pm,
Ronald B. Turk, associate deputy director and chief operating officer of the ATF

http://www.afsloc.com/pluginfile.php?file=/805/mod_page/content/6/BRIGADIER%20GENERAL%20RONALD%20B.%20TURK.pdf

itwasntme
2/06/2017 7:35pm,
there's some good stuff in there, but maybe allow for the purchase of higher grade body armor if they wind up allowing manufacturers to produce ap ammo. i didn't understand the part about explosives at all.

Pship Destroyer
2/06/2017 7:46pm,
The paper lays out 16 talking points across a wide range of both pro-gun market and pro gun control (and anti-crime) issues.

In addition to relaxations on certain weapons and silencing devices for sporting purposes, there are points for increased licensing for internet sales, increased firearms background check capabilities for hiring businesses, and improved record keeping and retention in order to better trace criminal weapon usage.

There's a lot of red meat here for both gun lobby and gun control proponents. The general chose his discussion points very carefully, to walk a fine line. This is a very smart man.

Pship Destroyer
2/06/2017 7:47pm,
and initiating a study on lifting the ban on imported assault weapons.

3. Re-importation of Certain Department of Defense Surplus Firearms from Foreign
Countries

This discussion point was the most interesting. The idea is to return many of the weapons the US has EXPORTED, back to the US.

Is that a potential terrorism fighting tool? Bringing US arms back into the states?

Isn't half the problem the fact that we've left our munitions all over the Middle East for 50 years?

Pship Destroyer
2/06/2017 7:53pm,
there's some good stuff in there, but maybe allow for the purchase of higher grade body armor if they wind up allowing manufacturers to produce ap ammo. i didn't understand the part about explosives at all.

This discussion point argues that launchers and the munitions (explosive) part are apples and oranges and should be regulated differently, as munitions usage should have a much greater barrier than launcher technology, which has a far broader range of government applications.

itwasntme
2/06/2017 8:33pm,
This discussion point argues that launchers and the munitions (explosive) part are apples and oranges and should be regulated differently, as munitions usage should have a much greater barrier than launcher technology, which has a far broader range of government applications.

that's what i thought, i guess i'm so confused cuz i didn't think this affected the civilian population anyway.

BKR
2/07/2017 1:46am,
This discussion point was the most interesting. The idea is to return many of the weapons the US has EXPORTED, back to the US.

Is that a potential terrorism fighting tool? Bringing US arms back into the states?

Isn't half the problem the fact that we've left our munitions all over the Middle East for 50 years?

I think a lot of that would be stuff like M1 Garand and carbines. There's a fair amount of Interest among collectors in general shooting public to have an M1 Garand piece of History also very fine battle rifle

ghost55
2/07/2017 1:48am,

Wait, there is a restriction on quality of body armor you can buy? I thought you could order level 4 plate off of the internet legally, it's just expensive as ****. Also AP ammo is horrifically overrated for civilian uses. I have a hard time seeing steel core handgun ammo going through level 3A soft plates out of a 3.75in barrel. I'm all for the ban being lifted though just so we can get those cheap spam cans of 7n6 5.45mm ammo again.

ghost55
2/07/2017 1:48am,
I think a lot of that would be stuff like M1 Garand and carbines. There's a fair amount of Interest among collectors in general shooting public to have an M1 Garand piece of History also very fine battle rifle

Also a metric fuckton of old 1911A1s...

itwasntme
2/07/2017 5:33am,
Wait, there is a restriction on quality of body armor you can buy? I thought you could order level 4 plate off of the internet legally, it's just expensive as ****. Also AP ammo is horrifically overrated for civilian uses. I have a hard time seeing steel core handgun ammo going through level 3A soft plates out of a 3.75in barrel. I'm all for the ban being lifted though just so we can get those cheap spam cans of 7n6 5.45mm ammo again.

i had always heard that, but a quick google told me otherwise. i probably bought into it cuz i never cared to purchase some so i never looked into it. and i'm sure ap ammo is, but i was thinking that was because most civilians don't have a use for and therefore don't generally carry body armor. i didn't take into account the type of gun being used either/