PDA

View Full Version : What should I do to improve my ground game ?

Karish
2/06/2017 12:26pm,
Good day guys, so far my training is going well, but on thing bother me a bit : we don't spend that much time on the ground. We do usually only five minutes of rolling each week, since Yoseikan isn't mostly about groundfighting. But well, I enjoyed it quit a bit and decided to expand my game by watching youtube stuff and reading about BJJ/Ne Waza. According to you grappling guys, what are the things I should learn about? (except of course what my instructor is teaching me)

I know :

-The Jugi Gatame armbar, from guard and mount

-The basic triangle from the mount

-Cross-collar choke from mount

-The Gesa gatame headlock, and three techniques to escape from it (although my gesa gatame game is terrible)

-Rear Naked Choke

-Americana lock from side and mount position

Aaand that's it. I guess what is lacking is a way to break and pass my partner's guard, plus a sweep (the scissor sweep should do the trick).

An other thing : I am a one trick pony when it come to start fights : since we start rolling on our knees, I always pick up my partner to pull him into my guard, then try to go for the triangle or the armbar, which makes me kinda predictable, do you have any strategic advices to improve my game?

DCS
2/06/2017 12:32pm,
Get Saulo Ribeiro's book.

BKR
2/06/2017 12:57pm,
Good day guys, so far my training is going well, but on thing bother me a bit : we don't spend that much time on the ground. We do usually only five minutes of rolling each week, since Yoseikan isn't mostly about groundfighting. But well, I enjoyed it quit a bit and decided to expand my game by watching youtube stuff and reading about BJJ/Ne Waza. According to you grappling guys, what are the things I should learn about? (except of course what my instructor is teaching me)

I know :

-The Jugi Gatame armbar, from guard and mount

-The basic triangle from the mount

-Cross-collar choke from mount

-The Gesa gatame headlock, and three techniques to escape from it (although my gesa gatame game is terrible)

-Rear Naked Choke

-Americana lock from side and mount position

Aaand that's it. I guess what is lacking is a way to break and pass my partner's guard, plus a sweep (the scissor sweep should do the trick).

An other thing : I am a one trick pony when it come to start fights : since we start rolling on our knees, I always pick up my partner to pull him into my guard, then try to go for the triangle or the armbar, which makes me kinda predictable, do you have any strategic advices to improve my game?

What DCS wrote, plus, you need to realize that how to move on the ground is just as important as the finishing techniques.

Ne waza is the equivalent of tai sabaki, shisei, kumi kata etc (kihon) to standup grappling.

Sweeps/reversals are roughly equivalent to nage waza. Action reaction, gripping, movement, mean a lot.

So if you only focus on submissions, you will know submissions but not be able to get into position to do them dynamically. So you won't be very successful.

Karish
2/06/2017 1:55pm,
That's a ting i have not mentionned : I think I know enough submissions yet. What I feel like is lacking is everything else, like getting out of the guard, moving in a fluid manner, and being able to react the right way at the right moment

BKR
2/06/2017 1:58pm,
That's a ting i have not mentionned : I think I know enough submissions yet. What I feel like is lacking is everything else, like getting out of the guard, moving in a fluid manner, and being able to react the right way at the right moment

You will need to take up BJJ or Judo. It takes a lot of practice to get better at anything, grappling included. BJJ would focus mostly on ground work, so it would be your first choice under most circumstances.

Devil
2/06/2017 2:46pm,

Why are you training? For self defense?

I mean, obviously if you want to be good on the ground you should train in an art where ground fighting is the focus. One other thing though. Breaking closed guard isn't something you're going to need to worry about very much for a street fight. If you're on top of somebody on the street, just stand up if you want. They'll probably let you since they don't know how to use the guard. They don't want you on top of them. Now you can pass.

If they know how to use the guard because they have proper ground training, you're fucked unless you've trained in a real grappling art. But most likely, you'll already be on the bottom if that's the case.

Karish
2/07/2017 6:13am,
I train for fun and fitness, self defense is not a real concern to me. So yeah, I kinda have to worry about breaking the guard in this sport context.

Well training in Bjj seems like the only real way to improve seriously my ground game. Sadly I don't have much time to crosstrain, as being a musician is time-consuming. Could you give me some ressouces to check to expand my knowledge? The Saulo Ribeiro's book looks interesting, I'll definitely check this out

DCS
2/07/2017 7:33am,
What I feel like is lacking is everything else, like getting out of the guard, moving in a fluid manner, and being able to react the right way at the right moment

Flow rolling.

http://graciebarra.com/2014/05/rolling-game/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOpTiiXqp4Y

Karish
2/07/2017 7:49am,
Well this looks actually quit interesting : it's like a tip-tap but on the floor, a kind of exercise where the light amount of speed and pressure gives you the possibility to think and understand what's going on. I'll think about it

Devil
2/07/2017 12:02pm,
I train for fun and fitness, self defense is not a real concern to me. So yeah, I kinda have to worry about breaking the guard in this sport context.

Well training in Bjj seems like the only real way to improve seriously my ground game. Sadly I don't have much time to crosstrain, as being a musician is time-consuming. Could you give me some ressouces to check to expand my knowledge? The Saulo Ribeiro's book looks interesting, I'll definitely check this out

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Theory and Technique by Renzo and Royler Gracie is pretty awesome. It has history, info on positional hierarchy, lots of pics of various techniques, etc.

DCS
2/07/2017 12:57pm,
And is cheap and widely available (https://ia902708.us.archive.org/12/items/pdfy-ys-odMgnmf-hOwDq/BJJ%20Theory%20And%20Technique%20[Renzo%20&%20Royler%20Gracie].pdf).

BKR
2/07/2017 1:01pm,

I avoid getting into a closed-guard situation as much as possible. It's difficult to break if the guy on bottom knows what he is doing. Legs and hips are strongest part of body. Not impossible, but not the best situation to be in.

I rarely use closed guard myself. It's like a ground-grappling cliche'...

gregaquaman
2/07/2017 9:00pm,

Look at escapes side control half guard mount that sort of thing.

Karish
2/10/2017 11:09am,
And is cheap and widely available (https://ia902708.us.archive.org/12/items/pdfy-ys-odMgnmf-hOwDq/BJJ%20Theory%20And%20Technique%20[Renzo%20&%20Royler%20Gracie].pdf).

Well so far the book is really interesting, thanks for the input !

Devil
2/10/2017 11:43am,
Well so far the book is really interesting, thanks for the input !

Do yourself a favor and buy a hard copy. It has nice glossy pages and is an awesome reference to come back to on a regular basis. It's easier to work with if you have a hard copy.

Bar Humbug
2/10/2017 7:21pm,
If I remember correctly, your based in France right? I think I said it back then when you were asking for advice on training, you live in one of the best, Judo rich countries on the planet, take advantage of it!