PDA

View Full Version : Krav Maga Disarms: Do they work?

Pages : [1] 2

Godzillarex
1/28/2017 5:41pm,
I've been taking Krav Maga classes the past couple months and although the instructor does stress that several of these disarms only work if you are right next to the target, I am wondering if anyone here has actual experience in using these techniques effectively.

I can't post links yet as this is my first post, but if you type Krav Maga Gun Disarm from Front on YouTube you'll see a technique we've learned.

I am also intrigued by the "Commando Krav Maga" knife stance where you hold out your arm with your elbow out and the other stays close by your heart. You can see it's most popular disarm if you type Moni Aizik Teaches "The Wiz" Weapon Disarm on YouTube.

Again, is this stuff legit or best left to use in the movies?

Just found this website and it seems like it's an awesome community!

Christmas Spirit
1/28/2017 5:54pm,
I don't like the small detail work and the hands that close the pointy bits. That is near impossible to do on the fly with the adrenaline flowing and the piss and blood running down your leg. It does teach to get the two hands on the weapon arm which I think is the most important part of any forced bare hand vs knife situation. But then throws it away. Blade on nothing is a seriously fucked situation. Blade on blade doesn't help much but at least your dick isn't in the wind.

Surprise knife attacks are all about getting the stabbing/cutting arm to stop stabbing you. If you willingly engage a knife wielder you are an idiot and deserve to get every stitch staple and death you get... but yeah get the weapon arm under control first, firmly period. If you have a knife and are willing to kill or maim there are different rules at that point.

Raycetpfl
1/28/2017 5:58pm,
I've been taking Krav Maga classes the past couple months and although the instructor does stress that several of these disarms only work if you are right next to the target, I am wondering if anyone here has actual experience in using these techniques effectively.

I can't post links yet as this is my first post, but if you type Krav Maga Gun Disarm from Front on YouTube you'll see a technique we've learned.

I am also intrigued by the "Commando Krav Maga" knife stance where you hold out your arm with your elbow out and the other stays close by your heart. You can see it's most popular disarm if you type Moni Aizik Teaches "The Wiz" Weapon Disarm on YouTube.

Its definitely better left to the movies....... but if you need them you don't really have anything else but disarms. So they are better than just accepting death.
Generally speaking Krav disarms have too many where they only have 1 hand on the weapon and then throw strikes. I generally disapprove of methods where you don't have complete control over the weapon at all times.

Raycetpfl
1/28/2017 5:59pm,
I don't like the small detail work and the hands that close the pointy bits. That is near impossible to do on the fly with the adrenaline flowing and the piss and blood running down your leg. It does teach to get the two hands on the weapon arm which I think is the most important part of any forced bare hand vs knife situation. But then throws it away. Blade on nothing is a seriously fucked situation. Blade on blade doesn't help much but at least your dick isn't in the wind.

Surprise knife attacks are all about getting the stabbing/cutting arm to stop stabbing you. If you willingly engage a knife wielder you are an idiot and deserve to get every stitch staple and death you get... but yeah get the weapon arm under control first, firmly period. If you have a knife and are willing to kill or maim there are different rules at that point.

Link?

Christmas Spirit
1/28/2017 6:02pm,
Get out a marker or highlighter and try this stuff against people, not in your class, and don't care to "prove" this stuff works, you know people not in your class. If you know anyone who knows how to use a knife or knows about how shankings and knife attacks happen let them get some time on the marker too.

Hand them the marker and tell them to "cut" and "stab" you. Wear some safety goggle and a cup ... or maybe a fencing mask and some knuckle protection. Allow grappling. Let me know how the results turn out. I am sure it will be enlightening.

Christmas Spirit
1/28/2017 6:03pm,
Its definitely better left to the movies....... but if you need them you don't really have anything else but disarms. So they are better than just accepting death.
Generally speaking Krav disarms have too many where they only have 1 hand on the weapon and then throw strikes. I generally disapprove of methods where you don't have complete control over the weapon at all times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YreBDmisg0I

Christmas Spirit
1/29/2017 1:29am,

So any of this help your situation? Any comments or questions?

Raycetpfl
1/29/2017 1:41am,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YreBDmisg0I

This dude is one of the biggest morons to ever teach marial arts.
I hate everything he teaches.

Godzillarex
1/29/2017 2:41am,
This dude is one of the biggest morons to ever teach marial arts.
I hate everything he teaches.

Thanks for all your replies! They've actually confirmed the biggest suspicion that I had in that not all the disarms are 100% effective. Now that I think about it, several of the disarms do involve punching the neck while holding the weapon with only one hand. In theory, the guy is going to be bent over in pain so he won't be thinking too much about the weapon, but neck punching while fearing for your life probably won't come out that well.

I'll definitely stick to committing the two handed disarms to memory, as those seem to be more effective, but I do hope I never have to use them in real life.

There's also one knife disarm in particular that really bugs me as to how janky it is. It's for an overhead knife strike. The way I learned to block it before I even took Krav Maga was to obviously block it in the air with the opposite forearm he's using, then hook your unused arm underneath the assailant's arm and bend backwards, forming a great armlock and nullifying the threat.

But the Krav Maga technique was to block the strike in the air and then, while punching the throat, redirect the knife downwards and then "pluck" the knife out by cupping the hand and pulling on the fingers. Sure it works on a compliant training partner, but I really don't want to be redirecting the knife while I'm punching the neck, so many things could go wrong.

CKM's Wiz disarm does look pretty cool, probably best left for a movie though. I haven't seen any of his other work, but I'll follow your advice and take it with a grain of salt, haha

Any disarms you guys come across that strike you as actually being practical?

Godzillarex
1/29/2017 2:44am,
So any of this help your situation? Any comments or questions?

I replied in the post above, new to this forum format!

Christmas Spirit
1/29/2017 2:53am,
...just try the drill I mentioned and may I suggest washable markers.

Also if you are interested in stick or knife work check out the Dog Brothers' stuff.

Godzillarex
1/29/2017 3:04am,
Cool! Will do. The marker drills look like fun actually!

Christmas Spirit
1/29/2017 3:10am,
Cool! Will do. The marker drills look like fun actually!

See the life changing part is when you realize knives are contact weapons. They require little pressure to do damage like a marker requires little pressure to mark but knives have a much larger surface which to damage you with.

your drill should look like the first half of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61jnJe_1SI

* edit *

**** the second half is good too.

Kovacs
1/29/2017 3:30am,
I hate disarm drills from all martial arts, Krav, systema or whatever purely becouse they all seem to disregard reality.

The only one Ive ever taken seriously is the Pramek/affiliates video that did the rounds a few months ago. It tackled the theory of knife attacks, as in the real theory of you will be ambushed and it won't be a dual etc. It then skipped all of the static bullshit that most knife 'experts' go for and went into grappling which is the only way anyone will stand a chance.

I'm not being a lazy fucker, I can't find it through google but when I have more time I'll try and link it. Everything else is for the movies.

Godzillarex
1/29/2017 3:33am,
Holy crap that drill is scary, but fantastic. It's crazy to think how many stabs can get through if you put yourself in that position.

Raycetpfl
1/29/2017 3:34am,
Also, the best way to knife fight is:
A. Run

B. from about 10 feet away when you have a gun.