PDA

View Full Version : Tenri Judo

bassaiguy
1/25/2017 11:13am,
What makes Tenri Judo different than regular Olympic judo? I understand that the Tenrikyo is its own religious community, but is there any difference in the way they practice judo either technically or in terms of their ceremony/ritual? It seems to me that Tenri judoka were once well-represented in competitive judo, but maybe not so much anymore?

BKR
1/25/2017 12:22pm,
What makes Tenri Judo different than regular Olympic judo? I understand that the Tenrikyo is its own religious community, but is there any difference in the way they practice judo either technically or in terms of their ceremony/ritual? It seems to me that Tenri judoka were once well-represented in competitive judo, but maybe not so much anymore?

I'm not aware of any real technical differences. They do Kodokan Judo. I think that one of they may have a particular form of a go no sen no kata (kata of counter-throws) that was "invented" there (it's not a formal Kodokan Judo kata). There is also a particular collar grip manipulation attributed to Tenri.

Yes, Tenri has/is it's own religous "community", so to speak.

bassaiguy
1/25/2017 2:10pm,
Thanks!