PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Daily Bag Work

zarathustra3
1/06/2017 9:07am,
How can I do 12-18 rounds everyday without damaging my shoulders, hands, or feet? What stretching should I do? Warm up? Cool down?

I have an 80 and 40 lb bag, speedbag, and wavewaster.

I had shoulder surgery in 2013, so my right trapezius experiences tightness and pain once in a while. Seems too much speedbag irritates it.

I have pain in my left middle knuckle after about 8 rounds. I'm an orthodox fighter.

I had ankle surgery in 2012. However, doing kata and maintaining a deep low front stance seems to have increased mobility greatly. It's sore only when I take time off training, and even then, it goes away.

How do I know when I'm over training? What are some things I should watch out for?

Aka-Tora
1/06/2017 1:59pm,
A few questions:
*What kind of gloves you using (Boxing mitts, MMA gloves or otherwise) and what oz?
*You mention Kata, are you a Kyokushin Karateka? And if not, do you have any experience in Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai? I ask this because punching technique is a factor, which can be dangerous if poorly executed, especially whilst injured on a heavy bag.
*Are you undergoing any sort of therapy?
*Do you wear shoes/footwear when practicing? I'm assuming yes unless you've got mats in a garage or something.

Aka-Tora
1/06/2017 2:08pm,
And in regards to over training, take at least one day off per week.

zarathustra3
1/06/2017 4:19pm,
A few questions:
*What kind of gloves you using (Boxing mitts, MMA gloves or otherwise) and what oz?
*You mention Kata, are you a Kyokushin Karateka? And if not, do you have any experience in Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai? I ask this because punching technique is a factor, which can be dangerous if poorly executed, especially whilst injured on a heavy bag.
*Are you undergoing any sort of therapy?
*Do you wear shoes/footwear when practicing? I'm assuming yes unless you've got mats in a garage or something.

I'm using 16oz TITLE Gel World Bag Gloves. I had cheaper 14 oz gloves before, these might make the difference.

I did kickboxing for about a year before I found the gym I'm at now, I wrestled in school, did some JJ. I train Goju Ryu, we usually do kata for about an hour before moving onto light sparring, JJ, or arnis. Heavier sparring (Fight Night) is on Monday with gloves, mouthpiece, headgear, ect.

No therapy other than the occasional chiropractor visit. Have any ideas that could help with my trapezius issue?

I have mats on the floor. I usually work hands on the heavy bag, hand and feet on the wavemaster. I do 2-3 min rounds with 1 minute breaks. Im trying to get to 30 second breaks. Realistically, I'd be doing bagwork 3 days a week.

Thanks for getting back to me.

submessenger
1/06/2017 5:35pm,
I had shoulder surgery in 2013, so my right trapezius experiences tightness and pain once in a while. Seems too much speedbag irritates it.

I'm no expert. A trapezius issue, to me, sounds like your bag is not at the right height.

(edit) thinking about it a little more, I would surmise that the bag is too low, causing you to hold your head back and away, probably to your left side. That would cause your right trap to be stretched abnormally for prolonged periods.

Aka-Tora
1/06/2017 5:48pm,
I'm using 16oz TITLE Gel World Bag Gloves. I had cheaper 14 oz gloves before, these might make the difference.

I did kickboxing for about a year before I found the gym I'm at now, I wrestled in school, did some JJ. I train Goju Ryu, we usually do kata for about an hour before moving onto light sparring, JJ, or arnis. Heavier sparring (Fight Night) is on Monday with gloves, mouthpiece, headgear, ect.

No therapy other than the occasional chiropractor visit. Have any ideas that could help with my trapezius issue?

I have mats on the floor. I usually work hands on the heavy bag, hand and feet on the wavemaster. I do 2-3 min rounds with 1 minute breaks. Im trying to get to 30 second breaks. Realistically, I'd be doing bagwork 3 days a week.

Thanks for getting back to me.

No problem.

16oz gloves should be fine and is pretty standard for hitting the heavy bag. The more protection the better in your case- with the injuries and all.

Chiropractic is a bit of a can of worms because, as an alternative form of medicine, it is heavily debated. I don't have enough knowledge of the subject to give a definitive/certain opinion but, from what I've read, there isn't enough evidence to conclude that it is a great primary form of treatment for most issues- it only has a solid track record of helping with back issues, particularly related to the lower back.

I hope that helps. Keep us updated on how it goes.

gregaquaman
1/07/2017 8:40am,
sagital band injury is probably the knuckle. And you get a sponge or something and work it in to your hand wraps.

https://youtu.be/81qRnY8znDo

https://youtu.be/vq7BIPyWPu8

For your munted joints. Things like acupuncture works suprisingly well. Otherwise any tension loosening exercises like swimming yoga or massage.

zarathustra3
1/07/2017 10:05am,
I thought it was a sagital band injury, as well. It's not as bad as it once was, but it still makes me nervous. I'll make a pad for myself, hopefully it will make the difference.

Thank you very much guys.

Permalost
1/10/2017 12:42am,
My advice on daily bagwork is to vary it up with more than bagwork.

zarathustra3
1/11/2017 6:33pm,
I went back at it today. I jumped rope for 10 minutes, did 16 rounds, and finished with sit ups.

I felt great when I was working out. I'm completely exhausted now. I have a few minor aches and pains, but nothing out of the ordinary.

My advice on daily bagwork is to vary it up with more than bagwork.

I think I'm going to have to. I might do less rounds and include a few sets of bench, rows, or squats after jumping rope. I might dedicate a day or two to running or long distance biking.

I'm also curious as to what I should be eating to have the energy to train and the nutrition to recover. I eat a lot of oatmeal and brown rice, and I make protein powder out of powdered milk, seed meal, ground oats, palm sugar, and raw cocoa. I'm not vegetarian, but I feel better when I eat less meat. I try and avoid processed foods.

Thanks guys.