PDA

View Full Version : Escrima/Arnis Question.

Narimasu773
12/29/2016 1:04pm,
I was researching Escrima and it seems to be common to chamber 1 stick under the opposing arm? why is this done? would it not be more effective to chamber it in a position where it provides defense? in Krabi-Krabong and Chinese Double Weapon Systems you are generally chambering the non-striking hand in a block.. why is it that Escrima chambers the no striking hand under the arm? seems to me like its the equivalent of a boxer punching with one glove in his/her armpit... not trying to criticize, just wondering why is this done?

dannywhitfield
12/30/2016 12:22pm,
It's done at the beginning stages to teach full body power. You get away from it fairly quickly. Depending on the teacher. And of course drills are meant to teach principals not necessarily application.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Narimasu773
12/30/2016 1:29pm,
i see., thank you.

Crafty Dog
12/31/2016 8:43pm,
Good Question.

There are many ways to answer it. Here are a few thoughts for your consideration.

a) Kali/Eskrima/Arnis tend to think less of blocking and more of attacking the limb of the incoming attack-- often the hand so as to cause the opponent/adversary to drop his weapon. This is called "defanging the snake". Thus in your example with the Left under the Right, one application might be for the Right to meet the force of a strike coming in from the left side and the Left hand's weapon hits the hand of the attacking limb on the half beat.

b) If you are in an open position (each hand on its own side) and you throw a Left forehand (which intuitively is the most powerful for most people) and you do so so as to finish above your right side weapon, you may feel stifled in the delivery of a Right forehand whereas if you go under you can flow readily into strong basic combinations such as "alternating 8s (R-L-R-L or vice versa)

As your skills evolve you will learn good options for both being under and for being over when on the other side of your body.
Does this help?

Mr. Machette
12/31/2016 10:30pm,
Can still defend with puno from that position. Or a variety of other angles but puno is the most linear that could be described to someone unfamiliar with the flow.

Narimasu773
1/01/2017 1:18pm,
Yes it does help. Thank you.