PDA

View Full Version : RNC without hooks

Pages : [1] 2 3

ghost55
12/21/2016 12:12pm,
Yes, I did post another one of this guy's videos earlier, but this is different. What do you guys think of this technique? It looks solid to me, but I suck at martial arts so I could once again be wrong. Is this worth trying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7bKoO8b_8M

BackFistMonkey
12/21/2016 12:25pm,
I can't sink RNC's without hooks... soooo ... yeah not my cup of tea but I do like his positional rationale and methodology.

...also I try never to rely on pressure points.

BKR
12/21/2016 12:25pm,
1.) The guy on bottom isn't protecting his neck correctly. He's using the "cover you neck from grizzly bear attack thing. Rayce can correct me if I'm wrong on that one. Or are they doing MMA so he is trying to cover the back of his head?
2.) I got to 3 minutes in and he still hasn't shown "how to finish a RNC without hooks".
3.) OMG, did he just poke the guy in the lower back with his elbow and claim that would make make the guy raise up his head like that?
4.He has no weight or control on the guy. Do you think the guy on bottom is just going to lay there?
5.) Neither one of them seems to move very well.

Isn't this a guy we've seen here before, of questionable lineage? Or was that another guy who was in Honk Kong or Taiwan? Ex-military guy...???

I'm no expert at no-gi, but it seems that there are a ton of ways to take a guys back

Raycetpfl
12/21/2016 12:41pm,
Yes, I did post another one of this guy's videos earlier, but this is different. What do you guys think of this technique? It looks solid to me, but I suck at martial arts so I could once again be wrong. Is this worth trying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7bKoO8b_8M

That poke doesn't work on everyone. It tickles me, my pain receptors are all fucked up. It really bothers others. Pain compliance is **** mostly. Most high level competitive guys won't care and angry people won't care. So you are practicing a move that works on calm pussies. So the poke is a waste of time imo, but I have played with it.
As far as back control being hard to get,maintain and not worth it? No, thats stupid. (See Damian Maia, Roger Gracie or Marcel Garcia)
Catch guys always seem to be clowns.

Here's one of my Seafoos videos

Heres a good ways to take the back.
http://youtu.be/ae8OVBrt71E

ghost55
12/21/2016 12:46pm,
I get that catch has a very different approach from BJJ, but that doesn't mean i doesn't work. Mighty Mouse is very much a catch guy, and Josh Barnett is a very good grappler (jut look at what he did to Dean Lister).

Raycetpfl
12/21/2016 1:06pm,
I get that catch has a very different approach from BJJ, but that doesn't mean i doesn't work. Mighty Mouse is very much a catch guy, and Josh Barnett is a very good grappler (jut look at what he did to Dean Lister).
Josh's main trainer has been training bjj since before the ufc existed.
Saku is awesome but has trained a ton of bjj,Paulson is good and a bjj Black belt and The Magician is good. Their schools are the exception not the rule. Most catch guys are clowns.

Pay attention to what the best in the world are doing not some clown with a nice camera.

ghost55
12/21/2016 1:26pm,
Saku is awesome but has trained a ton of bjj,Paulson is good and a bjj Black belt and The Magician is good. Their schools are the exception not the rule. Most catch guys are clowns.

Pay attention to what the best in the world are doing not some clown with a nice camera.

Mighty Mouse is literally the best fighter on earth. And yeah, Barnett has BJJ experience, but his submission and control game is all catch.

BKR
12/21/2016 1:34pm,
1.) The guy on bottom isn't protecting his neck correctly. He's using the "cover you neck from grizzly bear attack thing. Rayce can correct me if I'm wrong on that one. Or are they doing MMA so he is trying to cover the back of his head?
2.) I got to 3 minutes in and he still hasn't shown "how to finish a RNC without hooks".
3.) OMG, did he just poke the guy in the lower back with his elbow and claim that would make make the guy raise up his head like that?
4.He has no weight or control on the guy. Do you think the guy on bottom is just going to lay there?
5.) Neither one of them seems to move very well.

Isn't this a guy we've seen here before, of questionable lineage? Or was that another guy who was in Honk Kong or Taiwan? Ex-military guy...???

I'm no expert at no-gi, but it seems that there are a ton of ways to take a guys back

Honk Kong,I crack myself up sometimes...

ghost55
12/21/2016 1:39pm,
Honk Kong,I crack myself up sometimes...

Guy in the video is in Singapore. Pretty sure he's legit.

BKR
That poke doesn't work on everyone. It tickles me, my pain receptors are all fucked up. It really bothers others. Pain compliance is **** mostly. Most high level competitive guys won't care and angry people won't care. So you are practicing a move that works on calm pussies. So the poke is a waste of time imo, but I have played with it.
As far as back control being hard to get,maintain and not worth it? No, thats stupid. (See Damian Maia, Roger Gracie or Marcel Garcia)
Catch guys always seem to be clowns.

Here's one of my Seafoos videos

Heres a good ways to take the back.
http://youtu.be/ae8OVBrt71E

But they look good in those tight outfits...

Phil of course knows what he is doing.

I love seat-belt grip, it's one thing I picked up from BJJ that is truly useful and teach in Judo, as it's so damned simple but so damned effective. Of course, it's probably originally from wrestling, but who cares?

The really key thing he shows is action reaction, regardless of which back-take method he is doing.

Raycetpfl
Mighty Mouse is literally the best fighter on earth. And yeah, Barnett has BJJ experience, but his submission and control game is all catch.
josh barnett vs sergei kharitonov strikeforce......
Yes...... Takedown, Mount, Submit . Very catch wrestling of him.

Mighty Mouse fights in a shallow division because most men aren't the size of children. He's good though.
Matt "The Magician" Humme is legit. That's mighty mouses coach.

ghost55
12/21/2016 1:42pm,
josh barnett vs sergei kharitonov strikeforce......
Yes...... Takedown, Mount, Submit . Very catch wrestling of him.

Mighty Mouse fights in a shallow division because most men aren't the size of children. He's good though.
Matt "The Magician" Humme is legit. That's mighty mouses coach.

It's "The Wizard". And Mighty Mouse looked solid vs Cruz back when he was training part time. And go watch Barnett vs Lister. Tell me that was BJJ he used.

BKR
12/21/2016 1:43pm,

You can't fight (in sport sense) against say, a BJJ guy and and do well unless you have done BJJ. Even under submission only rules, I would think, particularly in a jacket.

Hell, even within a given combat sport, like Judo, to be successful at higher levels, you have to know what other genre of judo look like and how to deal with them.

I wrote higher levels, but really, not so much only there.

If you don't understand sleeve control, and basics of right versus right and left versus left gripping and throwing, it doesn't take long to get your butt kicked in a match.

BKR
12/21/2016 1:44pm,
It's "The Wizard". And Mighty Mouse looked solid vs Cruz back when he was training part time. And go watch Barnett vs Lister. Tell me that was BJJ he used.

You are using outliers to make your point, BTW.

ghost55
12/21/2016 1:49pm,
You are using outliers to make your point, BTW.

Is the best fighter on earth being very much a catch fighter really an outlier?

Raycetpfl
12/21/2016 1:56pm,
Is the best fighter on earth being very much a catch fighter really an outlier?
1.He's not the best fighter on earth. He's the best 125 lb UFC fighter. It's a **** division. The level of skill at 145lbs and up is immensely higher and deeper.

2. Yes they are outliers.