PDA

View Full Version : so Im debating about weight cut/weight gain at the moment

Pages : [1] 2

kimjonghng
12/10/2016 2:06pm,
Im bordering 89.5 kilos and Im really enjoying powerlifting, judo and all my contact sports like kickboxing (though I suck I admit) and Im stuck between eating more, lifting more and getting stronger, or cutting, staying in the same weight category for Judo and not having to fight the absolute mammoths in the 90+ weight category.

Im 5' 8 height wise and a bit of a hard gainer for muscle, so Im not sure what would be the best thing to do.

NeilG
12/10/2016 8:08pm,
Judo-wise, stay at -90. Go over and you end up routinely fighting huge guys or worse yet no guys. At least locally most of the action is -81 and -73, -90 is not as competitive.

BKR
12/11/2016 1:56am,
Im bordering 89.5 kilos and Im really enjoying powerlifting, judo and all my contact sports like kickboxing (though I suck I admit) and Im stuck between eating more, lifting more and getting stronger, or cutting, staying in the same weight category for Judo and not having to fight the absolute mammoths in the 90+ weight category.

Im 5' 8 height wise and a bit of a hard gainer for muscle, so Im not sure what would be the best thing to do.

No, don't go into the heavier weight class. Basically for reasons Neil pointed out.

In fact, if you want to have more matches, you probably should lose weight down to -81 kg. Although that would depend on your current bodyfat percentage, for one thing. You height and almost 90 kilos sounds like you might be kind of pudgy.

Another issue is cardio. To be serious about judo competition, you need damned good cardio. By serious, I mean you would maybe like to be able to do a match without gassing out. I'd say it's more important than strength, especially for someone at your level of Judo.

So, have you had your body fat percentage checked ?

How is your cardio?

It boils down to if you are fat, or have adamantium skeleton...

kimjonghng
12/11/2016 1:04pm,
Admittedly I am carrying a little extra, even with my family's typical box body shape. I'm still into my strength training and prioritize that over cardio, typically using my mat time and sparring as cardio and a couple of km on the treadmill to finish a workout. As far as how my cardio is (seems an open question) not my strongest suit but I dont think I too terrible, I just havent prioritized it with powerlifting, judo, kickboxing or karate. I could stand to lose some more I reckon weight wise, but Im unsure how my strength will be effected doing that.

BKR
12/11/2016 7:50pm,
Admittedly I am carrying a little extra, even with my family's typical box body shape. I'm still into my strength training and prioritize that over cardio, typically using my mat time and sparring as cardio and a couple of km on the treadmill to finish a workout. As far as how my cardio is (seems an open question) not my strongest suit but I dont think I too terrible, I just havent prioritized it with powerlifting, judo, kickboxing or karate. I could stand to lose some more I reckon weight wise, but Im unsure how my strength will be effected doing that.

You might look into periodized training, or training in cycles. You can go on maintenance for the strength/power training (those are two different things, doncha know), and work on your cardio a bit more, etc.

It all depends on how serious you are about doing well at Judo, really.

Losing bodyfat should not effect your strength if you do it correctly, IME/O.

kimjonghng
12/12/2016 6:45am,
You might look into periodized training, or training in cycles. You can go on maintenance for the strength/power training (those are two different things, doncha know), and work on your cardio a bit more, etc.

It all depends on how serious you are about doing well at Judo, really.

Losing bodyfat should not effect your strength if you do it correctly, IME/O.

Im wanting to get serious with judo after spending a year on it as a hobbyist approach, Im not sure I can cut about 10kg but Im damn well going to try. Might have to look at my workouts again since I mostly powerlift.

BKR
12/12/2016 2:08pm,
Im wanting to get serious with judo after spending a year on it as a hobbyist approach, Im not sure I can cut about 10kg but Im damn well going to try. Might have to look at my workouts again since I mostly powerlift.

It all depends...if you want to stay at -90, that's cool, as long as you are not shall we say "fat" and or at a major strength deficit versus guys you may compete with. You may well cut some weight if you focus more on cardio, unless of course you eat more.

What is you level of Judo...I know I've asked before but do not remember.

To state the obvious, if you want to get serious about Judo, you have to do more Judo, and train correctly for your level, and to compete effectively, have good to excellent cardio.

NeilG
12/12/2016 2:32pm,
Might have to look at my workouts again since I mostly powerlift.Of the powerlifting big 3, squats and deads are good for judo, bench not so much. For judo you want to be looking at more explosive exercises, the olympic lifts are better suited. You also want to be training for explosive movement, you should be accelerating through any lift you do.

Most of the powerlifters I've seen are on the heavy side, they are not too concerned with being lean or agile, just strong. Eat lots, lift heavy, sleep. If you are serious about judo you'll have to switch gears there.

Ben mentioned cardio, one great workout for judo is the "royal court", which are hindu squats (bodyweight squats done with the heels up), hindu (divebomber/judo) pushups and neck bridges done as a superset. If you can run through a significant set of those several times, you will have great muscular endurance/cardio for judo. I think I was doing sets of 50 squats, 25 pushups and 30 second bridges back when I was training hard, but that's still not very much compared to the guys who are really serious.

BKR
12/12/2016 6:07pm,
I concur with Neil regarding weight training and Judo, although Bench press is fine, and you would want to add in some sort upper back work (pullups, bent rows, etc.).

And a lot more Judo, or at least ramp up the training gradually to help avoid injury.

On the cardio side, the best results I've seen are the result of interval training of one sort or another. Tabata-like intervals using a variety of exercises have gotten incredible results with my students.

You may want to discuss your foray in to getting serious with Judo with a qualified coach, taking a look at your current training regimen and skill level, and what stage of the competition season is in now.

Aka-Tora
12/13/2016 1:29pm,

I'm not a Judoka so I'll try to stray away from the finer details advice wise in relation to that area- other, more qualified people already have that covered for you.

What I can give you advice on, assuming you need it, is cutting. I dropped around 14kg a few years back, partly for Jits, and had around 5-6% body fat. My advice to you would be not to go crazy on cutting, ultra low carb diets are just going to make you more tired and miserable. You learn best when your brain isn't bogged down by lethargy- it sounds obvious but it's something people seem to easily forget. I'd say lighten up on the carbs and make sure to eat 1.4-1.6grams of protein per kilogram of mass. Make sure to monitor your iron intake to avoid anemia- chicken is a great choice for cutting but red meats and/or vegetables with high iron content are important, too many people-namely young women- who cut crazily fall into the pitfall of being anemic.

Distance running is traditionally one of the best exercises for cutting. Your body will start to rely on it's fat stores when you stray into a longer distance so do at least 5k. If you want to mix it up, do bag and pad work. It might not be directly applicable to Judo but 6 five minute or 10 three minute rounds at a decent pace for your fitness level is a fun way to burn calories.

I'd say keep up the treadmill for 30 mins, 2-3 times a week and do plenty of sparring whilst cutting the carbs down to the recommended amount for someone your size who is sedentary- that way you're cutting carbs without killing yourself. Have a reasonable amount of healthy fats too.

Calorie wise find out your recommended amount, how much you are burning per day and try to make sure you are within a maximum of a 500 calorie deficit- so that you're cutting no more than 1lb per week. Make sure to consult a nutritionist on more than one occasion if possible.

Good luck. Report back on how it goes.

BKR
12/13/2016 2:56pm,

Regarding bodyfat, hence why I asked if you had any idea. If you get it measured, you have a better idea of how much you can cut, or even if you should try.

If you are 89 kilos and you bodyfat is say, 10%, I'd say don't worry about it for now. The main reason for going to the lower weight class is so you have more competition opportunities.

If you are serious, you need to consider those things. If not, just make -90 kg and don't worry about it.

BKR
12/13/2016 2:58pm,
I'm not a Judoka so I'll try to stray away from the finer details advice wise in relation to that area- other, more qualified people already have that covered for you.

What I can give you advice on, assuming you need it, is cutting. I dropped around 14kg a few years back, partly for Jits, and had around 5-6% body fat. My advice to you would be not to go crazy on cutting, ultra low carb diets are just going to make you more tired and miserable. You learn best when your brain isn't bogged down by lethargy- it sounds obvious but it's something people seem to easily forget. I'd say lighten up on the carbs and make sure to eat 1.4-1.6grams of protein per kilogram of mass. Make sure to monitor your iron intake to avoid anemia- chicken is a great choice for cutting but red meats and/or vegetables with high iron content are important, too many people-namely young women- who cut crazily fall into the pitfall of being anemic.

Distance running is traditionally one of the best exercises for cutting. Your body will start to rely on it's fat stores when you stray into a longer distance so do at least 5k. If you want to mix it up, do bag and pad work. It might not be directly applicable to Judo but 6 five minute or 10 three minute rounds at a decent pace for your fitness level is a fun way to burn calories.

I'd say keep up the treadmill for 30 mins, 2-3 times a week and do plenty of sparring whilst cutting the carbs down to the recommended amount for someone your size who is sedentary- that way you're cutting carbs without killing yourself. Have a reasonable amount of healthy fats too.

Calorie wise find out your recommended amount, how much you are burning per day and try to make sure you are within a maximum of a 500 calorie deficit- so that you're cutting no more than 1lb per week. Make sure to consult a nutritionist on more than one occasion if possible.

Good luck. Report back on how it goes.

Long distance running is not the thing to do for Judo, only application is to build up general fitness, and it's not necessary for that either.

Interval training is far superior, along with a decent, well-balanced diet.

kimjonghng
12/13/2016 4:30pm,
Regarding bodyfat, hence why I asked if you had any idea. If you get it measured, you have a better idea of how much you can cut, or even if you should try.

If you are 89 kilos and you bodyfat is say, 10%, I'd say don't worry about it for now. The main reason for going to the lower weight class is so you have more competition opportunities.

If you are serious, you need to consider those things. If not, just make -90 kg and don't worry about it.

With going off measurements, is that something a normal doctor can do, considering the norm Ive seen is the usual BMI measurement which has long been considered flawed.

I will say for cardio Ive opted this last couple of days to check out the gyms new equipment, theyve got powermills now (the treadmills that are basically stairs) and god damn thats harder than a treadmill, or running. Im cutting carbs down a bit (reduced portions in meals, and trying to cut them entirely from one meal a day). Gonna keep an eye on the weight. My clubs close for christmas for a month this coming weekend so I can dedicate that extra class time to more cardio and see how it goes. Long distance runs are not my thing, but I do enjoy a good interval of sprints.

NeilG
12/13/2016 4:57pm,
With going off measurements, is that something a normal doctor can do, considering the norm Ive seen is the usual BMI measurement which has long been considered flawed.Ignore BMI, it doesn't apply to athletes, even half-assed amateur ones like myself. When I'm in marathon race shape I weigh around 184 lbs, and I get people enquiring after my health because they think I'm too skinny. That's a BMI of 24.7, 5 more lbs and I would be considered "overweight".

Aka-Tora
12/13/2016 5:02pm,
Long distance running is not the thing to do for Judo, only application is to build up general fitness, and it's not necessary for that either.

Interval training is far superior, along with a decent, well-balanced diet.

I was thinking more for fat burning than Judo- in which case it's probably not a bad idea alongside the interval training I'd hope he's getting in Kickboxing. As you probably already know. Shorter Interval training sessions tend to target burning carbs/sugar, as that's the bodies go to energy supply- which ultimately has a similar result in reducing body fat. I tend to prefer mixing it up- which is one of the reasons most top level MMA fighters do roadwork and interval training. I'm guessing, like the sport itself, that it's a bit more specific with Judo, like with Bjj, especially considering how ballistic the former is? You're the expert in that context so your word trumps mine.

Aka-Tora
12/13/2016 5:12pm,
Ignore BMI, it doesn't apply to athletes, even half-assed amateur ones like myself. When I'm in marathon race shape I weigh around 184 lbs, and I get people enquiring after my health because they think I'm too skinny. That's a BMI of 24.7, 5 more lbs and I would be considered "overweight".

To put that into perspective even more: Usain Bolts would be considered overweight at around 25,.