PDA

View Full Version : Kids are becoming clumsy and uncoordinated due to safety restrictions on recess

Wounded Ronin
11/28/2016 11:10pm,
So there's an article that states that due to all the policy restrictions on how they're allowed to move and play, kids are actually becoming clumsier, having inferior balance, and all kinds of things: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/11/11/lets-face-it-keeping-children-sedentary-for-most-of-their-waking-hours-is-causing-harm/

The thing is that the very movements we are restricting children from doing to keep them “safe” are the exact exercises I’ve used as a pediatric occupational therapist to help treat the increasingly “unsafe” behaviors seen by veteran teachers in the United States. Teachers are reporting increased aggressiveness at recess, decreased ability to regulate emotions of anger and frustration, constant tripping, frequent falling and decreased ability to attend in the classroom.

The rest of the article is definitely worth reading.

I guess it means that if you have kids, you have to make them do judo and kickboxing so that they can get all their developmental physical orientation down. Per policy, they're not allowed to do it naturally during play anymore.

BackFistMonkey
11/28/2016 11:42pm,
So there's an article that states that due to all the policy restrictions on how they're allowed to move and play, kids are actually becoming clumsier, having inferior balance, and all kinds of things: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/11/11/lets-face-it-keeping-children-sedentary-for-most-of-their-waking-hours-is-causing-harm/

I guess it means that if you have kids, you have to make them do judo and kickboxing so that they can get all their developmental physical orientation down. Per policy, they're not allowed to do it naturally during play anymore.

This is almost one of those duh things when you stop and think about it and the implications, kinda scary. America seem to be breeding people who qualify as terrible in all sorts of categories.

slamdunc
11/28/2016 11:47pm,
Dodge ball anyone? How about full-contact soccer?

Pship Destroyer
11/28/2016 11:56pm,
According to the article kids are sitting too much. Simply getting up from the seat/couch would be a huge start for most kids. Before you even put them in a martial arts school...make them take a walk outside?

hungryjoe
11/29/2016 12:59am,

My mother was always on my case for wearing holes in my socks due to going shoeless in dodgeball. Nicknamed Twinkle Toes. Was a source of pride as a kid in the 60's.

Today? Would probably keep the shoes on to keep the name off.

Do schools even play the game anymore?

Full contact soccer. Played in the USMC. On the field there was no rank. Good times.

Ahhh, youth.

DCS
11/29/2016 7:32am,
Dodgeballl was considered a girls game when I was a kid. And 'full contact soccer' makes no sense, soccer is soccer.

hungryjoe
11/29/2016 10:07am,
It was soccer. Period.

Played by Marines. A bit rough.

DCS
11/29/2016 10:56am,
Soccer is big around here, but I never enjoyed it much. I liked basketball more but then I stopped growing...

BKR
11/29/2016 11:51am,

Kids need way more activity than they typically get at recess to be healthy and become reasonably coordinated adults. And way, way, way more if they want to become accomplished athletes.

BKR
11/29/2016 11:52am,

I was and am highly gratified that dodge ball is a very important part of the gym activities in our local school system.

You mean Commando Soccer, LOL? Or Commando ball, played inside on a basketball court...

MisterMR
11/29/2016 11:53am,
Here in Italy judo instructors affiliated to the major judo association (FIJKAM) have to follow a yearly refresher course. Some years ago my instructors was told, in one of those courses, that kids nowadays lack many of the bodily "skills" that were common in the past, for example kids often can't do somersaults, so it was necassarious to be very cautios and explain such movements in detail to the kids.
The reason is that in modern times kids don't play much on the outside (for example because they live in cities with few playgrounds), and thus don't learn the same bodily skills of the kids of previous generations.

Wounded Ronin
11/30/2016 12:44am,
It was soccer. Period.

Played by Marines. A bit rough.

So like tae kwon do, except kicking the ball(s) was legal?

ChenPengFi
11/30/2016 10:50pm,
I was and am highly gratified that dodge ball is a very important part of the gym activities in our local school system.

You mean Commando Soccer, LOL? Or Commando ball, played inside on a basketball court...

Freeball?

Dodgeball teaches a very handy skill.
I always think of this:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/7.2100371.1397208649!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/bush.jpg

BKR
12/01/2016 12:23pm,
Freeball?

Dodgeball teaches a very handy skill.
I always think of this:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/7.2100371.1397208649!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/bush.jpg

How to avoid a technique:
dodge, block, counter

It's really just that simple.

miisalo
4/04/2017 10:55am,
Not only does it affect the balance and body control but there are studies showing that protecting the kids too much also affect things like bone density. Climbing, jumping, falling...all that benefit the body later.

GrouchyOldMan
4/04/2017 9:23pm,
According to the article kids are sitting too much. Simply getting up from the seat/couch would be a huge start for most kids. Before you even put them in a martial arts school...make them take a walk outside?

They are sitting too much, but I agree with the premise of the article, that it's because they are made to do so.

I would imagine kids aren't any different now than they have ever been. If you get a group of 8-10 year old boys together in a setting they are comfortable with, and leave them to their own devices, they​will end up running around and roughhousing like blazing idiots almost without fail.

In generations past, this behavior was tolerated as "boys will be boys" (or "kids will be kids"-i really don't see much gender specific play behavior until almost pre-adolescence). These days, the inclination of kids to do what they do is preempted and redirected out of concerns of bullying, aggression, exclusion, injury, and various other psychobabbling.