PDA

View Full Version : Sitting guard

Jph4450
11/19/2016 11:09am,
Ok. So I am posting this hoping someone has since better insight than what I've seen so far. I'm trying to work on passing the sitting guard. All references or videos I can find deal with this mostly from a standing position. Where I'm running into trouble is where me and my opponent are already on the ground and I can't pass their guard. Specificly with their feet on my hips and me on my knees. Sorry if this was a bad explanation. And thank you for any advice or references.

plasma
11/23/2016 7:07am,
Just stand up and start working your passes.

DCS
11/23/2016 7:14am,
Where I'm running into trouble is where me and my opponent are already on the ground and I can't pass their guard. Specificly with their feet on my hips and me on my knees.
Stand up and pass. Also, ask your BJJ instructor.

Tramirezmma
11/24/2016 1:43pm,
Stand up for sure. Control the pant legs as well.

Pman ACMA
11/28/2016 12:00pm,
One technique I have learnt previously is to stand up and place your lead Leg In between their two legs. for example let's imagine it's your left leg. Place your left leg in between his two legs then place both hands on top of his left knee placing pressure on the knee towards the ground, this denies him the ability to use his leg to stop you from passing also in gi you can grab the pants for even more leverage. Your right leg is situated on the right on the other side of his left leg. from here you can lift your lead leg into the air while keeping pressure on his knee so that you can clear your left leg past his open guard then take a dominant position from the side or if your fast enough NS. It is imperative to control his leg in this situation as well as being instructed on the proper stand up stance in BJJ or you will get swept doing this maneuver on experienced opponents. Another maneuver I use is utilizing pant or leg control to pin there knees together on one side then you pass to the back side but this requires good grip fighting and utilizing your weight and legs to keep pressure so that they don't roll or shrimp (no space my friend)

davidjones123
1/20/2017 5:00am,
The best thing is to do in this situation is Stand up and try for pass.

Cake of Doom
1/20/2017 5:44am,
Just practise what you've been taught. If that is to stand up and pass from there, do that. No point trying to jump the gun in the early stages of learning.

plasma
1/21/2017 9:40am,
Really unpopular opinion but a valid strategy: sit down and fight from double guard with a DLR or X guard hook. You got Berimbolo, Leg Drag and Leg Lock entries.

Tramirezmma
1/21/2017 3:45pm,
Really unpopular opinion but a valid strategy: sit down and fight from double guard with a DLR or X guard hook. You got Berimbolo, Leg Drag and Leg Lock entries.

Lol I'm ending up here a lot lately, since I'm working my bottom game. Some guys just refuse to play top, unless I insist on giving them mount. Like you said though, great leg lock entries.

Raycetpfl
1/21/2017 3:53pm,
Ok. So I am posting this hoping someone has since better insight than what I've seen so far. I'm trying to work on passing the sitting guard. All references or videos I can find deal with this mostly from a standing position. Where I'm running into trouble is where me and my opponent are already on the ground and I can't pass their guard. Specificly with their feet on my hips and me on my knees. Sorry if this was a bad explanation. And thank you for any advice or references.

Back up and clear their feet off your hips with your elbows from standing or on your knees.

Tramirezmma
1/21/2017 7:56pm,
Back up and clear their feet off your hips with your elbows from standing or on your knees.

Best answer so far. Listen to this guy.

BKR
1/21/2017 8:07pm,

That's what I do, LOL ! May have to cut a collar grip or sleeve to keep from getting laid out, though. Or I let them have the sleeve and use it against them.