PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts after a surgery to the stomach (Nissen Fundoplication)

Benjawood
11/08/2016 11:03am,
Hi guys. Im a 22 years old male(60 kg est.), that will a stomach surgery for GERD called Nissen Fundoplication in December. It is a knot tied between your esophagus and stomach. Obviously, i need some rest after the surgery, but i thought about getting active again, when i recovered. I also kinda have to be carefull putting too much pressure specific on the upper abdoment area.

I have been looking into doing martial arts. Judo, BJJ, Kyokushin Karate or Muay Thai are the most interesting ones for me. I want to hear if anyone also had the same surgery and doing martial arts?

DCS
11/08/2016 11:24am,
I also kinda have to be carefull putting too much pressure specific on the upper abdoment area.

Is that temporary or do you have to avoid pressure forever?

Benjawood
11/08/2016 11:37am,
I can handle pressure obviously to a certain extent. But for instance when i did an exercise called dips for triceps it popped loose and i want to avoid that.

BackFistMonkey
11/08/2016 11:40am,
I can handle pressure obviously to a certain extent. But for instance when i did an exercise called dips for triceps it popped loose and i want to avoid that.

Yeah lets do some physical therapy see what they say ... you wanna take it easy and listen to a pro.

scipio
11/08/2016 11:42am,
It goes without saying do discuss any future training plans with your doctor.

Benjawood
11/08/2016 12:01pm,
I will, but my doctor told me i could exercise after 3 months. But i did overdo with the dips exercise, so it would be nice to hear anyone here had the same surgery or could sort of guide me.

BKR
11/08/2016 12:12pm,
I will, but my doctor told me i could exercise after 3 months. But i did overdo with the dips exercise, so it would be nice to hear anyone here had the same surgery or could sort of guide me.

Did you ask him specifically about doing wrestling type exercise? Going for a walk versus BJJ or Judo is quite a difference.

DCS
11/08/2016 12:19pm,

In BJJ you probably (depending on the club) will spend lots of time here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kfn0FA5hHo

So I'd say BJJ it is not, at this moment, a style for you.

BigJim520
11/08/2016 12:23pm,
I just had open (non-laproscopic) surgery to repair an umbilical hernia (similar, but not identical location to you). Doc told me no sit ups, crunches, etc. for at least 6 weeks, and no heavy lifting. I'm 2 weeks in and he said I could return to light cardio (with emphasis on light). Laproscopic surgery is supposed to have a quicker recovery.

Talk. To. Your. Doctor.

Benjawood
11/08/2016 12:30pm,
But after 6 weeks you can return to your usual activities?

BigJim520
11/08/2016 1:19pm,
But after 6 weeks you can return to your usual activities?

That's not entirely clear. I see him again in about two weeks. I suspect he'll tell me to take it slow, ease back into it, and listen to my body. That's what he said when I asked about cardio.

ChenPengFi
11/08/2016 2:00pm,
Don't ask strangers on the internet for medical advice.
Your Dr is getting paid to tell you these things.
Just make sure s/he knows what you're asking about; so show that KOB vid as an example.