PDA

View Full Version : Tips for practicing and training kickboxing outside the gym?

SpamN'Cheese
11/07/2016 8:49pm,
Hi, I'd love to know some pointers on how to practice and train my striking with partners outside of a gym. Reason being, there really aren't any decent kickboxing or Muay Thai gyms or clubs in my area.

I have ikkyu in Goju ryu, have done some boxing in the past, and currently do BJJ. The guys at my jiujitsu club do work some kickboxing and MMA a bit, but usually on days I'm not there. And again, there are no good kickboxing or Muay Thai clubs in my area that I'm aware of. I just would like to improve my striking game in a more alive way as best as possible until I could at least find a good striking gym and coach to work with. I don't intend to practice solo (I'll be doing it with friends who themselves have training in either boxing, karate, or TKD, as well as with my sister, who is nidan in Goju ryu) or learn solely off books and videos. Just tips on what I can make with my Goju ryu and boxing training, what drills and exercises to work with, etc. Or even if I should just scrap the idea and worry only about BJJ until I could even find a striking gym. Thank you for any advice and criticisms.

Tramirezmma
11/07/2016 9:19pm,
Hi, I'd love to know some pointers on how to practice and train my striking with partners outside of a gym. Reason being, there really aren't any decent kickboxing or Muay Thai gyms or clubs in my area.

I have ikkyu in Goju ryu, have done some boxing in the past, and currently do BJJ. The guys at my jiujitsu club do work some kickboxing and MMA a bit, but usually on days I'm not there. And again, there are no good kickboxing or Muay Thai clubs in my area that I'm aware of. I just would like to improve my striking game in a more alive way as best as possible until I could at least find a good striking gym and coach to work with. I don't intend to practice solo (I'll be doing it with friends who themselves have training in either boxing, karate, or TKD, as well as with my sister, who is nidan in Goju ryu) or learn solely off books and videos. Just tips on what I can make with my Goju ryu and boxing training, what drills and exercises to work with, etc. Or even if I should just scrap the idea and worry only about BJJ until I could even find a striking gym. Thank you for any advice and criticisms.

Find a park. Do one for ones, catch parry cover, and hit pads. Then spar.

SpamN'Cheese
11/07/2016 9:28pm,
Thanks a bunch, man.

Also would you recommend to spar more standard kickboxing/Muay Thai or to just go more for a shootboxing rule set so that I could utilize the little bit of clinching (tegumi) that's used in Goju ryu, just because we'll be training on grass anyways?

Nutcracker, sweet
11/07/2016 10:11pm,
Thanks a bunch, man.

Also would you recommend to spar more standard kickboxing/Muay Thai or to just go more for a shootboxing rule set so that I could utilize the little bit of clinching (tegumi) that's used in Goju ryu, just because we'll be training on grass anyways?

Cliche time: train how you want to fight. Period. You are only as good as your worst training day. If your current partners won't go there, find some that will.

(obviously, use appropriate safety gear, obey local laws, and don't kill or intentionally maim anyone, while training)

SpamN'Cheese
11/07/2016 11:14pm,
Got it. Thank you very much.

Safety gear is covered for the most part, although I have to get some extra shin guards for sparring. And I'm not that much of a dickhead to go crazy on my training partners, especially if they're friends or family.