PDA

View Full Version : how many bjj lies & flags can you find

Pages : [1] 2

tatame
10/24/2016 12:26pm,
"Cross contamination jujutsu club"

You can find em on Facebook. They just popped up as a facility a week or 2 ago.
They use bjj stripes, bjj belts, bjj lineage. The Howard guy they claim is nowhere to be found and hasn't been confirmed past purple.
The wear bjj gi's, have Brazilian flags, have even posted lets train bjj and glad we could teach bjj in a few of their posts.
They got called out over the weekend and quickly started editing some stuff, but, have left others.
And then there's the videos!!! A purple belt is mounted by a white belt. He stiff arms his way out, then lies down in the guys guard and literally tries to collar choke him while in it.
And somewhere else in their page they talk about how they are jujutsu but actually are more like aikijutsu.
The brown belt is the one testing and promoting people all the way to purple!!
Can these clowns get their lies straight

Omega Supreme
10/24/2016 12:45pm,
"Cross contamination jujutsu club"

You can find em on Facebook. They just popped up as a facility a week or 2 ago.
They use bjj stripes, bjj belts, bjj lineage. The Howard guy they claim is nowhere to be found and hasn't been confirmed past purple.
The wear bjj gi's, have Brazilian flags, have even posted lets train bjj and glad we could teach bjj in a few of their posts.
They got called out over the weekend and quickly started editing some stuff, but, have left others.
And then there's the videos!!! A purple belt is mounted by a white belt. He stiff arms his way out, then lies down in the guys guard and literally tries to collar choke him while in it.
And somewhere else in their page they talk about how they are jujutsu but actually are more like aikijutsu.
The brown belt is the one testing and promoting people all the way to purple!!
Can these clowns get their lies straight

Is there a purpose to your post or are you venting?

tatame
10/24/2016 1:09pm,
Given that this is the fraud site, and these guys fit the bill, that's why it's here unless I'm missing something

Nutcracker, sweet
10/24/2016 1:47pm,
If it's the same place, here's a link to one of their guys that took third in a sub-only tourney:
https://www.usgrappling.com/events/submission-only-ii/

That doesn't exonerate the school, but it does suggest that they are training hard and pressure-testing their techniques. On the other hand, I would expect more from a purple and brown belt, looking at some of the videos on their FB: https://www.facebook.com/crosscontaminationjujutsu/

And, there's the annoying discrepancy that they spell Jiu Jitsu "incorrectly."

Nutcracker, sweet
10/24/2016 2:01pm,
Found mention of a Howard Pickrell who was a first degree BB under Jacare: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.martial-arts.moderated/PdJ40wUsvGY

(edit) yeah that linkage is kinda wonky. Scroll up a bit and look at the post by "spiderman," from June 1999. It's in there, assuming it's the same guy smells kinda legit; note that the CC FB page appears to quote that same post, too.

BKR
10/24/2016 2:02pm,
Well, here you go...

I think it's obvious they are trying to cash in on the BJJ craze.

from FB "Good afternoon!!!

I want to clarify something for some people out there..

Cross Contamination JuJutsu Club IS NOT affiliated with any of the Brazilian Jiu-jitsu clubs nor is our belt system.

JuJutsu is it's on style and belt rankings while similar to BJJ it is not the same.

A lot of what we do is from Akijitsu and JuJutsu. It is more of a combative and self defence style."

ermghoti
10/24/2016 3:14pm,
Given that this is the fraud site, and these guys fit the bill, that's why it's here unless I'm missing something

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95239

Omega Supreme
10/24/2016 3:18pm,

I normally read something a bit more directly coherent. After watching everybody's reaction I now understand what you thought you were conveying.

tatame
10/24/2016 3:26pm,
Not possible. In '99 there were less than a dozen Americans that were black belts. The only thing that can be confirmed is that In '99 Howard was at linxx in VA beach and was a blue belt. No one can confirm past his purple.

tatame
10/24/2016 3:29pm,
Well, here you go...

I think it's obvious they are trying to cash in on the BJJ craze.

from FB "Good afternoon!!!

I want to clarify something for some people out there..

Cross Contamination JuJutsu Club IS NOT affiliated with any of the Brazilian Jiu-jitsu clubs nor is our belt system.

JuJutsu is it's on style and belt rankings while similar to BJJ it is not the same.

A lot of what we do is from Akijitsu and JuJutsu. It is more of a combative and self defence style."

Exactly. They post jacare and Gracie lineage, then call themselves jujutsu yet make a post saying they're not Brazilian then say they're actually more aikijitsu.

Nutcracker, sweet
10/24/2016 3:37pm,
Not possible. In '99 there were less than a dozen Americans that were black belts. The only thing that can be confirmed is that In '99 Howard was at linxx in VA beach and was a blue belt. No one can confirm past his purple.

I know this is he-said-she-said, but the post I quote above, from 1999, on a different site (Google, no less), lists 1200 black belts in GJJ/BJJ. Howard Pickrell is on that list. Can you explain the disconnect?

Michael Tzadok
10/24/2016 3:37pm,
Exactly. They post jacare and Gracie lineage, then call themselves jujutsu yet make a post saying they're not Brazilian then say they're actually more aikijitsu.

Where is the fraud?

I get that you don't like them, but where is the fraud? Have you tracked down lineage to find it varacity or falsehood?

WFMurphyPhD
10/24/2016 3:41pm,
There are many of these Japanese JuJitsu folks
that wear BJJ gear to take advantage
of some confusion in the layperson marketplace
to leverage the G/BJJ popularity.

And there are many more Tae Kwon Do schools
that managed to get BJJ teaching ranks
through actual ranked people that
ran distance learning networks with
advertised belts by mail or Internet
without any of the attempts
at quality regarding curriculum, delivery platform,
or rigor standards that the Torrance academy
has attempted to develop.

One of the several reasons that
I frequently list "positives"
for what the Torrance academy
CTC's, and Gracie University are trying to provide,
is because part of the reason for the
Gracie University's existence is to provide the best quality
alternative to some of the real belt mills that came before,
that are still coming out now,
that really are, or at least seem to be,
just about the money,
with little substance or real assessment.

When you see one of those operations
compared to Gracie University,
you realize what a difference
seven or eight figures of investment into
a real platform with real attempts (not always perfect)
at providing a best of breed hybrid learning system really make
compared to some of the horrible, scandalous,
no effort, no investment, what-were-they-thinking
systems that came before, and sad to say are still out there.

When there is not a Gracie University,
that vacuum gets filled by true crap belt and certificate
by mail providers who seem to make very little effort
into anything resembling quality, or rigor, or...

I have never found a good way to address this,
other than to remind people with no lineage
that they harm their students when they
"promote" those students to G/BJJ belts
with no real G/BJJ black belt authorizing that promotion,
and to tell my own students to be careful about
taking advice from the people who don't have real skills
(regardless of what color belt they wear on their waist).

Similarly, there are lot of people out there
that think that being able to teach a class,
and even being able to roll well,
as the same as having the specific skills
of being a competent corner coach.

You can be a real G/BJJ black belt
with little competition or referee experience
and the brown belt who competed
a hundred times in decent tournaments
and referee'd a couple hundred times
will usually be an utterly more competent
corner coach than the higher ranked person
without that real and specific competition related experience.

Mr. Miyagi may teach a useful self-defense class,
but is probably a poor choice for your competition coach,
unless he brings on an assistant coach who specializes in competition,
and has real experience competing and referee'ing competitions
with comparable rulesets or styles to the one being competed in
i.e. submission grappling for submission grappling,
jacket takedowns for jacket take downs,
wrestling for wrestling,
tae kwon do for tae kwon do,
boxing for boxing,
MMA for MMA etc...
There can be some cross over competition competencies,
but they had best be cousin sports.
Or the corner coach won't know what they don't know.
And it is terrible when the corner coach learns OTJ
at the expense of the competitor who put their trust in them.

tatame
10/24/2016 3:46pm,
Where is the fraud?

I get that you don't like them, but where is the fraud? Have you tracked down lineage to find it varacity or falsehood?

Yes, no one in VA beach at any of the major schools there ever saw him past purple.
The guys in VA beach that began asking the club directly were continuously given the run around rather than a direct answer about who gave anyone their belts. Every time they get pressured, they say we aren't bjj. When asked why they have gracies listed as their only lineage they redirect.

tatame
10/24/2016 3:48pm,

We aren't bjj

Thanks for letting us teach bjj

Once people in both cities discovered what they were doing, they started back tracking

Nutcracker, sweet
10/24/2016 4:01pm,

We aren't bjj

Thanks for letting us teach bjj

Once people in both cities discovered what they were doing, they started back tracking

Look, the school may be crap. The instructors may be crap. I looked for about 5 minutes, and I found a student of the school showing in a no-gi tournament, and the founder of the school listed as a black belt 17 years ago. I do have questions about the level of competence I saw in some of their Facebook vids, but do you actually have a claim, here?