PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent hand injuries?

Pages : [1] 2

Karish
10/18/2016 2:16pm,
Godd day fellas, I got a question for you

What should I do to prevent hand injuries aside from tapping them? I'm a musician and it would be kinda annoying not to play my instrument because of an injury I could avoid by doing the right things. Massage? Cold/Hot water after the training?

EDIT : I train in Yoseikan, which imply both striking and grappling, but no weapons training for me

Morik
10/18/2016 2:28pm,
What are you training? (I imagine the answer might differ between stick fighting, judo/bjj, or a striking-only art.)

Permalost
10/18/2016 2:43pm,
For striking, it seems like sprained wrists are far more common than broken metacarpals, at least at the amateur level. So, spend the time developing good alignment of the wrist etc by striking pads, bags etc. Wear bag gloves at a bare minimum and don't hit as hard as possible with every shot.

For weapon sparring, wear sturdy gloves that offer thumb protection. When leading with your weapon hand, keep it a moving target.

For grappling, it seems like getting fingers caught in the gi is the main danger. Some tape their fingers together to protect them. Not my area of experience though.

In kickboxing, you may mess up your wrists doing intuitive downward blocks against round kicks. This is a bad habit and should be discouraged for other reasons as well. Tuck your elbow with the fist up instead.

Karish
10/18/2016 2:45pm,
What are you training? (I imagine the answer might differ between stick fighting, judo/bjj, or a striking-only art.)

Post edited, i should have added that, I train in yoseikan budo, so both striking and grappling, even though the grappling does not imply a firm grip to the gi like in judo

Karish
10/18/2016 2:49pm,
In kickboxing, you may mess up your wrists doing intuitive downward blocks against round kicks. This is a bad habit and should be discouraged for other reasons as well. Tuck your elbow with the fist up instead.

That's actually a good advice, but you mentionned other reasons not to do that. Could you tell me more if you don't mind?

submessenger
10/18/2016 4:02pm,
Depending on what your school and competitions allow, I would recommend going with the standard 180" cotton wrap. Make sure to get between each finger, and get a good 3-4 wraps around the proximal phalanges (that's lower knuckles, for you knuckleheads).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-Sj1vTb_s

submessenger
10/18/2016 4:10pm,
That's actually a good advice, but you mentionned other reasons not to do that. Could you tell me more if you don't mind?

I think I know where Permalost is going with this. That protruding bone from your wrist is prone to fracture, especially when hit full force with a shin. Using your elbow to block distributes the force over larger area, and more and stronger bones.

(edit) there are probably tactical advantages, as well, but I've been out of the striking game for quite a while, now, so hopefully somebody will step up and illustrate them.

ChenPengFi
10/18/2016 4:30pm,
If you reach down to block lower kicks you're just asking to get kicked in the head.
That's kind of like straight-arming someone who has you mounted.

Prevention will go much further than anything.

badspar
3/18/2017 8:04am,
There are sport mitts that will cover your palms. You can just use bandages for your fingers. It all depends on the sport that your practice. Turn to the specialized sports shops that will be of great help to you.

danharr
5/02/2017 8:26pm,
So I get pins and needles in my boxing and kickboxing cardio classes about 30 minutes in. I also take 3 class two days of the week and two on Saturday. My wraps aren't very tight but no matter what I do pins and needles. Guessing nothing I can do about the hurt knuckles with that volume of punching.

MarJoe
5/03/2017 9:28pm,
The old Boxing Trick is the tight fist. A loose fist while in guard position then tighten the fist as you go to punch. this reduces fagiute in the arms. The secret of the tight fist is the tighter the little the little finger the tighter the fist. Most people hurt their fingers because of loose fist strikes. Joe

danharr
5/03/2017 11:08pm,
Okay now we're talking thanks.

Permalost
5/04/2017 12:24am,
Most kicking arts teach to throw a head kick when your opponent repeatedly low blocks. Or, if they step in to punch, you're in an equally bad position. Tucking your elbow sets you up to follow up with a tight uppercut of your own. If they try to head kick instead of a lower kick, your hand will be ready to cover at least. The only real advantage of the low block is that you can transition right into a kick catch, but that's also possible from the elbow tuck.

WorldChampions
5/22/2017 10:52am,
So I get pins and needles in my boxing and kickboxing cardio classes about 30 minutes in. I also take 3 class two days of the week and two on Saturday. My wraps aren't very tight but no matter what I do pins and needles. Guessing nothing I can do about the hurt knuckles with that volume of punching.

Following are the precautions to avoid injuries during sports..
Wear protective equipments...
You must know the rules of the game, you are playing...
Keep an eye at every action and step of your opponent...
Try not to play while you are injured...

Karish
5/22/2017 1:15pm,
Most kicking arts teach to throw a head kick when your opponent repeatedly low blocks. Or, if they step in to punch, you're in an equally bad position. Tucking your elbow sets you up to follow up with a tight uppercut of your own. If they try to head kick instead of a lower kick, your hand will be ready to cover at least. The only real advantage of the low block is that you can transition right into a kick catch, but that's also possible from the elbow tuck.

Interestingly enough, this is what I am up to regarding my striking game : figuring out how to use head kick. Now that I am flexible enough to throw them high, I have to figure out how to use them wisely in sparring session. Because I have realised quickly that no one let you just throw a kick to their head, setting them up is needed. And this low kick/low block thing is one way to do it. Guess I have to dig into that now

WorldChampions
6/13/2017 2:05am,
Hello
As we all know that sports like MMA,Boxing etc are dangerous sports means there is always fear of injury....Some time there are very severe injuries which can be very dangerous....But by using proper gears like protective gears one can save himself from injury... So in my eyes using protective gear (https://rdxsports.co.uk/protective-gear) can help you to prevent injuries during sports...